Playoff Picture | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Playoff Picture

Never say die

A Porpoise Driven Life....
Reaction score
Not an in depth look but from a cursory review of the NFL tiebreaking formulas and a bit of prognostication we really could benefit from the following (Assuming at this point Jax. is the 1st Wildcard):

1.) We Win Out (obviously) With a win this weekend we put the Bills out.

2.) We need the Vikings to beat the Jets this weekend ....otherwise assuming we beat them and they win their final game against Oakland (and who wouldn't?), we would go to the 5th tiebreaker (strength of victory) and they presently have a 6 point lead. Not insurmountable if we beat them by more than 6 or we make up the difference elsewhere.

3.) Cinncinnati must lose ALL three remaining games (against Indy, Denver and Pitts.)....otherwise they beat us on inter-conference record if we both end up 9-7

4.) Here's the tougher one.... Denver must lose two (Arizona, Cinn., and San Fran) We want them to beat Cinn. ...... so we are dependent on them losing this weekend to Ariz!!! (not a good position for us to be in!)...and then we still will need them to beat Cinn. and lose their final to San Fran.

5.) Pitts. to lose one game to either Carolina or Balt. (a good chance on both I believe) and of course beat Cinn. (a good chance for this too, I believe)

Tenn. we own the head to head tiebreaker.

So,.... in summary we really need an Arizona victory over Denver this weekend!!!(besides ours of course!).... coupled with a Viking victory of the Jets.

Have I missed anything?

Never say die!!!!!!

"Never say die...Iron Eagle!!"

I would never say die, but may I mention massive myocardial infarction?

Never say die said:
Not an in depth look but from a cursory review of the NFL tiebreaking formulas and a bit of prognostication we really could benefit from the following (Assuming at this point Jax. is the 1st Wildcard):

2.) We need the Vikings to beat the Jets this weekend ....otherwise assuming we beat them and they win their final game against Oakland (and who wouldn't?), we would go to the 5th tiebreaker (strength of victory) and they presently have a 6 point lead. Not insurmountable if we beat them by more than 6 or we make up the difference elsewhere.

3.) Cinncinnati must lose ALL three remaining games (against Indy, Denver and Pitts.)....otherwise they beat us on inter-conference record if we both end up 9-7

4.) Here's the tougher one.... Denver must lose two (Arizona, Cinn., and San Fran) We want them to beat Cinn. ...... so we are dependent on them losing this weekend to Ariz!!! (not a good position for us to be in!)...and then we still will need them to beat Cinn. and lose their final to San Fran.

5.) Pitts. to lose one game to either Carolina or Balt. (a good chance on both I believe) and of course beat Cinn. (a good chance for this too, I believe)

So,.... in summary we really need an Arizona victory over Denver this weekend!!!(besides ours of course!).... coupled with a Viking victory of the Jets.

Have I missed anything?

Never say die!!!!!!

:yes:

Never say die said:

Have I missed anything?

Never say die!!!!!!

1.) Yes, we must win out, go PHINS!

2.) We win tiebreaker with Jets at 9-7, don't ask me why. Someone said it has to do with who we have each beaten and not our actual head to head scores. I have a franchise file in Madden I've been keeping all year by simming the games until the right team wins (lucky no ties this year,) assuming the game has correct tiebreakers built in, it's true we win tiebreaker with Jets.

3.) Yes BUT we can get 2nd wildcard even if Cincy wins out to get 1st.

4.) Not necessarily so, we win a 3 way with KC and Denver since KC Beats Denver on diviional record. Just need them each to lose at least 1 more and stay tied.

5.) Abslutely true. It is a must that Pitt lose at least 1 more game.

6.) (Tenn.) Yes, and it benefits us to have them win out and Jags lose at least 1 of their other 2 games besides the Tenn game (Pats/Chiefs, not unlikely) because Tenn does to Jags what KC does to Denver above. VY has Tenn rolling right now and it's not incoceivable for them to win out (Jags/Bills/Pats.)

We need a win and a Tenn win more than anything else right now I think. You are right though man, it could happen, keep the faith!

so here's basically what we need ammusing we win out.

1)Jax. and/or Cinn. to lose out. It could happen ,but not likely.
2)Den. has to lose 2 games. This could very well happen. Arz. is playing well and Den. has lost 4 straight games.
3)KC to lose one game. Most likely happens this week.
4)Jets to lose to the vikings and us.
5)Pitt to lose a game
6)Bills to lose to us.

KEEP THE FAITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
enough said...never give up until the seasons over...thanks for all the info guys

hey Never say Die...yes you did forget something..how bout the JAGS?? they kinda are 8-5 as well as cincy..so how could u forget them,...or r u counting them as in the playoffs already? cuz they got some tough games too...and KC u forgot..dude...they r important..more so then tennessee and pitt!

so here's basically what we need ammusing we win out.

1)Jax. and/or Cinn. to lose out. It could happen ,but not likely.
2)Den. has to lose 2 games. This could very well happen. Arz. is playing well and Den. has lost 4 straight games.
3)KC to lose one game. Most likely happens this week.
4)Jets to lose to the vikings and us.
5)Pitt to lose a game
6)Bills to lose to us.

Denver only needs to lose one, assuming that KC and Denver finish with the same 9-7 record.
Jets losing to us would propell us over them.
Tenn. winning out would be great, assuming that Jags lose to Tenn. AND @KC and/or New England

Kind of cool, after this week, if things go well, we could possibly be in 7th place in the AFC conference (top 6 get in wild card)

That game against the Jags killed us..BIG TIME..It's obvious but I'm still pissed over it..

The earlier games killed us as well most notable against the Bills, Packers and Texans..but at least we got to 5-6..we could've been 6-6 after the jags game and 7-6 right now..We'd be in the lead for the final WC position..

oh well..I still got my faith running on diesel power :D

heat_fan said:
That game against the Jags killed us..BIG TIME..It's obvious but I'm still pissed over it..

The earlier games killed us as well most notable against the Bills, Packers and Texans..but at least we got to 5-6..we could've been 6-6 after the jags game and 7-6 right now..We'd be in the lead for the final WC position..

oh well..I still got my faith running on diesel power :D
that game is where we started to get counted out of the playoffs

Here's a little color coded look at things.

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=173804

Of course, Miami wins out. (That's a given.)

Cincinnati OR Jacksonville must lose out. They will have the tie breakers on us and if either wins one game that gives them 9 wins.

Cincinnati plays- @Indianapolis, @ Denver, Pittsburgh

Jacksonville plays- @ Tennessee, New England, @ Kansas City

Next, we are going to need some more help. Kansas City, Denver and New York Jets are all 7-6. Now obviously, we need them all to lose at least 1 game. If we are tied up with NY or KC, we will get the nod because we beat KC and after going through division, conference and common games, we will get NY on SOS believe it or not.

So if we win out, NY is behind us. This means we will need KC to lose one game and Denver to lose 2.

Kansas City plays- @ San Diego, @ Oakland, Jacksonville

Denver plays- @ Arizona, Cincinnati, San Fransisco

So if KC loses this week, like they should, we move past them essentially. This is where it starts to get a little tricky. If it comes down to a 3 way tie between Miami, KC and Denver, we will get the go. The reason for this is because KC will have a better division record than Denver which eliminates Denver first, then we eliminate KC due to head to head competition. So really, we need to root for KC to lose just one of their remaining 3 because that will actully help us.

Everything is really sketchy and not very clear because of SOS and other scenarios. It should be a lot more clear after week 15 if we are still alive.

And also, we need Pittsburgh to lose just 1 game.

Pittsburgh plays- @Carolina, Baltimore, @ Cincinnati (No way they run through that)

Back
Top Bottom