PLAYOFF WATCH: Week 16 games & wildcard scenarios | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PLAYOFF WATCH: Week 16 games & wildcard scenarios

NYCphan

Stuck in Jetsville
Reaction score
These scenarios include the Fins-Eagles game.

There was an error in last week’s installment. Denver would not win every possible 10-6 wildcard tiebreak. The only one the Broncos would lose is a two-way tie with the Ravens. What I meant to write is that Denver would win any 10-6 tiebreak involving Miami.

Dolphins deathwatch

Regrettably, it is time to post the first Dolphins deathwatch.

If the Dolphins lose in Buffalo, they are out of the playoffs no matter what Denver and Tennessee do.

If the Dolphins win, they would still be eliminated if Denver AND Tennessee also win, OR if Denver wins AND Cincinnati OR Baltimore loses (see the 10-6 scenarios below for an explanation of why).

Bills & Jets funeral arrangements

At 6-8, both the Bills and Jets have been eliminated from the playoffs. Stick forks in both of them – they’re done.

AFC wildcard scenarios & tiebreaks

The Dolphins currently rank third among AFC wildcard contenders, behind the Titans and Broncos. Miami would lose any tiebreak involving Denver and would probably lose a tiebreak involving Tennessee. Bronco and Titan losses remain critical to Miami’s chances.

If Miami finishes its last three games…

2-0, 10-6 overall: Miami would win a wildcard if Denver loses twice, OR possibly if Tennessee loses twice AND the Ravens and Bengals BOTH win their remaining two games.

Miami’s only hope of winning a 10-6 tiebreak with the Titans is if the AFC North runner-up is also 10-6, creating a three-way tie. This can only happen if the Bengals and Ravens win all their remaining games, meaning the AFC North winner would be decided by strength of victory (Cincinnati leads, .455 vs. .401, and would be virtually certain to win the division).

If all that happens, the three-way tie among Miami, Tennessee and Baltimore would be decided by strength of victory – which at the moment is extremely close (Titans .404, Dolphins and Ravens both .401).

If Denver also finishes 10-6 to create a four-way tie, the Broncos would win the first wildcard and the tiebreak for the second slot would proceed as described above.

1-1, 9-7 overall: Miami cannot win a wildcard at 9-7.

Because the Titans already have 10 wins, only one wildcard can possibly be available at 9-7, and only Denver or Baltimore could win it. The Ravens would win a two-way tie with the Broncos at 9-7 since they beat Denver this season. If Miami were also 9-7, head-to-head games would not count and Denver would win the wildcard based on AFC record.

0-2, 8-8 overall: Wannstedt’s replacement will appreciate the higher draft pick next spring.

Week 16 games that affect Miami

Denver at Indianapolis: A Broncos loss is critical to Miami’s wildcard chances.

Tennessee at Houston: Two Titans losses could open the way for a Miami wildcard.

Green Bay at Oakland: A Packers win keeps them in the NFC playoff hunt, adding incentive for their final game: at home against the Broncos.

Cincinnati at St. Louis & Baltimore at Cleveland: If the Bengals and Ravens both win their last two games, it might enable Miami to win a three-way tiebreak with the Titans (if Tennessee loses twice).

Games that matter only to ‘strength of victory’

Strength of victory (the combined final record of all opponents a team has defeated) can only possibly matter to Miami in a three-way wildcard tiebreak at 10-6 involving the Titans and Ravens (or possibly Bengals). This can only happen if the Titans lose twice AND the Bengals and Ravens BOTH win twice.

SOV changes weekly, according to whether teams you have previously defeated win or lose. Miami and Baltimore are currently tied (.401), just barely behind Tennessee (.404). Cincinnati, which is very unlikely to figure into a SOV tiebreak, is well ahead (.455).

The Giants-Cowboys game will help Miami’s strength of victory score slightly no matter what happens. In other games, here are the results that would be more favorable to Miami:
  • Jets over Patriots
  • Jaguars over Saints
  • Redskins over Bears
  • Chargers over Steelers
  • Eagles over 49ers
  • Buccaneers over Falcons
  • Vikings over Chiefs
  • Lions over Panthers
  • Cardinals over Seahawks

Put it this way don't bet on Miami if your a gambler.

Or chances are your money is gone we'll need a miracle to get in.

Oh yeah we might have to actually win a game.

Re: PLAYOFF WATCH: Week 16 games & wildcard scenarios

Originally posted by NYCphan
These scenarios include the Fins-Eagles game.

There was an error in last week’s installment. Denver would not win every possible 10-6 wildcard tiebreak. The only one the Broncos would lose is a two-way tie with the Ravens. What I meant to write is that Denver would win any 10-6 tiebreak involving Miami.

Dolphins deathwatch

Regrettably, it is time to post the first Dolphins deathwatch.

If the Dolphins lose in Buffalo, they are out of the playoffs no matter what Denver and Tennessee do.

If the Dolphins win, they would still be eliminated if Denver AND Tennessee also win, OR if Denver wins AND Cincinnati OR Baltimore loses (see the 10-6 scenarios below for an explanation of why).

Bills & Jets funeral arrangements

At 6-8, both the Bills and Jets have been eliminated from the playoffs. Stick forks in both of them – they’re done.

AFC wildcard scenarios & tiebreaks

The Dolphins currently rank third among AFC wildcard contenders, behind the Titans and Broncos. Miami would lose any tiebreak involving Denver and would probably lose a tiebreak involving Tennessee. Bronco and Titan losses remain critical to Miami’s chances.

If Miami finishes its last three games…

2-0, 10-6 overall: Miami would win a wildcard if Denver loses twice, OR possibly if Tennessee loses twice AND the Ravens and Bengals BOTH win their remaining two games.

Miami’s only hope of winning a 10-6 tiebreak with the Titans is if the AFC North runner-up is also 10-6, creating a three-way tie. This can only happen if the Bengals and Ravens win all their remaining games, meaning the AFC North winner would be decided by strength of victory (Cincinnati leads, .455 vs. .401, and would be virtually certain to win the division).

If all that happens, the three-way tie among Miami, Tennessee and Baltimore would be decided by strength of victory – which at the moment is extremely close (Titans .404, Dolphins and Ravens both .401).

If Denver also finishes 10-6 to create a four-way tie, the Broncos would win the first wildcard and the tiebreak for the second slot would proceed as described above.

1-1, 9-7 overall: Miami cannot win a wildcard at 9-7.

Because the Titans already have 10 wins, only one wildcard can possibly be available at 9-7, and only Denver or Baltimore could win it. The Ravens would win a two-way tie with the Broncos at 9-7 since they beat Denver this season. If Miami were also 9-7, head-to-head games would not count and Denver would win the wildcard based on AFC record.

0-2, 8-8 overall: Wannstedt’s replacement will appreciate the higher draft pick next spring.

Week 16 games that affect Miami

Denver at Indianapolis: A Broncos loss is critical to Miami’s wildcard chances.

Tennessee at Houston: Two Titans losses could open the way for a Miami wildcard.

Green Bay at Oakland: A Packers win keeps them in the NFC playoff hunt, adding incentive for their final game: at home against the Broncos.

Cincinnati at St. Louis & Baltimore at Cleveland: If the Bengals and Ravens both win their last two games, it might enable Miami to win a three-way tiebreak with the Titans (if Tennessee loses twice).

Games that matter only to ‘strength of victory’

Strength of victory (the combined final record of all opponents a team has defeated) can only possibly matter to Miami in a three-way wildcard tiebreak at 10-6 involving the Titans and Ravens (or possibly Bengals). This can only happen if the Titans lose twice AND the Bengals and Ravens BOTH win twice.

SOV changes weekly, according to whether teams you have previously defeated win or lose. Miami and Baltimore are currently tied (.401), just barely behind Tennessee (.404). Cincinnati, which is very unlikely to figure into a SOV tiebreak, is well ahead (.455).

The Giants-Cowboys game will help Miami’s strength of victory score slightly no matter what happens. In other games, here are the results that would be more favorable to Miami:
  • Jets over Patriots
  • Jaguars over Saints
  • Redskins over Bears
  • Chargers over Steelers
  • Eagles over 49ers
  • Buccaneers over Falcons
  • Vikings over Chiefs
  • Lions over Panthers
  • Cardinals over Seahawks

Man, with the all time you spent working out these scenarios, you should apply for the soon to be vacant coaching position. It sounds like you might spend more time preparing for the game than the coaches do.

Re: Re: PLAYOFF WATCH: Week 16 games & wildcard scenarios

Originally posted by SDFinFan

Man, with the all time you spent working out these scenarios, you should apply for the soon to be vacant coaching position. It sounds like you might spend more time preparing for the game than the coaches do.

Well, there's a decent chance I won't have to do it again this year....

:cry:

Don't giveup hope yet, we have 2 games left we should win, and Bronco's have 2 very hard games left. I would love to get in and playing on the road would be a treat, since we have losing record at home and pretty good road record. I still have dreams of a Superbowl and if they can ever figure out how to play a complete game, we could beat anybody.

If we end up with a losing record at home...

Originally posted by philyphin
since we have losing record at home and pretty good road record.

we won't be in it to win it. In 14 games so far we have produced one complete game. The odds are against us finding 6 more to win a SB.

I could see us winning either or on a good day, but beating all of IND, NE and KC on the road to the SB would be a miracle. Similar odds to winning the lottery. You have to be in to win and I wouldn't be at all suprised to see Denver win at IND on Sunday night primetime to end our season (because there is more at stake for them).

Originally posted by philyphin
Don't giveup hope yet.

I think you are wrong. I think it is time for you to give up hope.

:lol: :lol:

Clinton Portis wont play against the Colts...

Clinton Portis is the entire Bronco offense.. He had about 40 carries against the Browns and against the Chiefs as well in the previous week..

Portis might be out for the remaining 2 games..

Advantage for Miami... but Miami will have to beat Buffalo in the snow..

I live up here in Rochester NY (believe it or not, there is a huge Dolphins following here).
Anyway, FYI, the early forecast is calling for a good pounding of snow coming in this weekend. :-(
Of course, up here ,the weather men are wrong 90% of the time, so take it with a grain of salt.
:nesucks:

Here is how I see it, even if Portis can't play and Denver goes 0-2, I am almost sure that the Dolphins won't win the last 2 games on the road (Yes, week 17 is on the road). That is based on the fact that this team is heartless and is a waste of talent.

Miami will beat the Jets.. I knnow that for a fact.. Ricky and the run game is getting the yards and the Jets run defense is pathetic..

The Bills are a different story.. Bills have a stingy defense and Miami is playing them in snow where Miami does not play well at all.. Getting Bledsoe rattled is the key.. Moulds still looks like he's still hampering the groin injury...

You'd better hope Favre comes around because Miami's only hope is Denver losing BOTH games. No way Tenn losses to Houston and Tampa. The ball has not bounced our way this year and I don't think it will now.

It has nothing to do with a "ball bouncing our way"...

The Packers will win on Monday Night against the Raiders and the Packrs will be fighting for their playoff lives in Week 17..

The Colts are an excellent team and there is a very good chance that the Broncos do not win any game from here on out..

Originally posted by RUDEbyallMEANS
It has nothing to do with a "ball bouncing our way"...

The Packers will win on Monday Night against the Raiders and the Packrs will be fighting for their playoff lives in Week 17..

The Colts are an excellent team and there is a very good chance that the Broncos do not win any game from here on out..

What do you mean it has nothing to do with the ball bouncing our way? We had the talent it just didn't rise up to the occasion and nothing else went our way while everything went NE's way. We lost the close ones and they won them. A recovered fumble here or an Int there (buckley) or a made fg and that would mean the ball bounced our way. But it didn't and that's what I mean by the ball didn't bounce our way. Quit being rude by all means.

Originally posted by thorny

I think you are wrong. I think it is time for you to give up hope.

:lol: :lol:

if phunny philly phan behaves i'll unzip my trophy case and show him my Lombardi's

Back
Top Bottom