Playoffs or not... Ireland needs to stay another year. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MartinTheSNAKE

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
If you are pro "Fireland" Please at least read my thread before giving me bad rep or a "thumbs down" i feel like i make some valid points in his defense here.

The people who want Ireland fired need to re-think their stance
. You fire the GM.. .The New GM is going to come in and bring along his coaching staff. Then Tannehill is going to have to learn a completely new system/playbook and get used to new coaches when the kid is on the cusp of being a potential pro bowler.

Ireland has put together a winning football team. This team could very easily have 11-12 wins right now if we didnt choke vs the Ravens (2 missed fgs) and Panthers (4th and 10 on their own 10 or 20 leads to winning td). Then Choke against the Bills. Then lose to the Bucs and cheated out of Fox Borough cuz of the refs and 3 horrendous calls which turned 3rd and longs into first downs and 2 TDs and a FG.

Ireland has made a few mistakes... but no GM is perfect. People want to clown him on his draft picks..Really? Just look at this team and see the quality team he has put together on draft picks alone. Including quite a few later round picks which are much harder to hit on.

Cant really judge on 2013 quite yet, because you cant expect all rookies to come in and make an immidiate impact...Dion Jordan is being brought along slowly and will more then likely be a stud... Jamar Taylor has talent just needs to be healthy and im not going to really get into this draft class because we wont know for sure untill next year or the year after. Also it seems like a lot of his picks take a year or two to develop first. So i am willing to be patient with this draft class.

2012- Tannehill (Potential Pro Bowl QB, out playing most of his rookie class) Jon Martin (Bust, vagina bust, ***, *****, cry baby, sissy pants bust.) Vernon (Stud, potential Pro bowler) Egnew (Verdict is still out, Has all the tools and made some big leaps this year in terms of pass blocking. Also has looked pretty good as a FB when used there. His lable of being soft IMO has definitely been dropped. Hasnt dropped a ball yet and has made some nice catches in limited targets) Miller (Disappointment, but could be better with a better line. More of a change of pace back then a starter) Rishard Matthews (Stud IMO. Great pick in the 7th round)

2011- Mike Pouncy (Pro Bowler) Daniel Thomas (Injury prone HB, probable bust who sometimes shows flashes) Charles Clay (Potential pro bowler, picked in the 6th round) Jimmy Wilson (Another 7th round pick who is contributing to the team. Has played pretty damn well this season and has done great in the nickle guarding opposing slot receivers)

2010- Jared Odrick (Potential Pro Bowler and has been great at the DT position) Koa Misi (Solid OLB. Sure tackler with good instincts. Think he should be playing MLB for us honestly) Jon Jerry (Average Guard imo. Could be replaced or come back, he hasnt been completely terrible but could be a position for improvement.) Nolan Carrol (5th round corner who has been very solid for us this season. Stepped up big when Patterson went down. Proves that sometimes you need to be a little patient with players) Reshad Jones (Hasnt had the INT impact he had last season, but has still been solid. Is a sure tackler has shown some ball hawking ability last year. Potential Pro Bowler)

Im not going to go back to 2008, because 2008 we all know that Parcells was calling the shots. IDK about 2009, so i will leave that year along as well although we still have 2 contributers from that year in Hartline and Clemons who are both respectable players, along with Vontae Davis who has been very good with Indy and Sean Smith who everyone loves to hate, but is an ok player and playing on one of the best defenses in the league right now.

Phillip Wheeler was a horrible signing. Letting go of Dansby was a bad move too. You make that one minor swap and we are a much better team with Ellerbe playing OLB and Dansby MLB. Grimes was a great signing along with Patterson when he was healthy. Keller would have made this offense DANGEROUS, but he got injured before the season started and he was looking great in pre season. Just Imagine how deadly this team would be with Clay and Keller both playing. Gibson got injured, but he was a very good signing. Wake injured and playing hurt most of the year and you have Sam Brenner and Derrick Shelby who have both looked good as undrafted free agents. Wallace has been ok, but not playing to his salery , but could have a great year next season when he gets on the same page with Tannehill and he has better protection. Better play calling could help out big time too. Making the trade for McKinnie was needed and Clabo was a bust in the first half of the year but has played much better recently.

The point is.. Ireland has an eye for talent and has assembled a very good team who should have more wins then they do. Lets not forget how young this team is either and that the majority of the team has been put together in 3 years. This team is going to keep improving as they get more experienced. Ireland is not the problem. As a GM he has done his job to put together a playoff caliper team. The O-line needs to be better and yes the GM needs to address that this offseason. But its not like its an un-fixable problem. And i honestly feel like its more of the Cadence and Pouncy tipping off snap counts, then it is the talent.

I think Sherman needs to be replaced if anybody needs to go (Although this somewhat contradicts what i said about learning a new system/playbook. But having Philbin here means we will stay with the WCO and not much will change. He should have changed things up with the snap counts way earlier and does a pretty bad job adjusting his offensive game plan. And there have been plenty of games where we actually COULD run the ball, but didnt anyways. Firing Ireland would be a huge mistake. Please dont bring up the dumb arguments of "well he should have draft this , this this and this guy here, here and here. You could say that for every GM and its ridiculous to expect every GM to draft a pro bowler at every draft slot.

You fire Ireland, you take the risk of having a Gm who is Actually stupid. I know we are tired of rebuilding, but he has rebuilt us the correct way when he has had full reign. The Gm is not the issue. Its the O line (Which is fixable, and will be addressed) and the Offensive Coordinator along with the offense tipping off their snaps. Hard to expect a Line to block well when the defense knows that a pass or run is coming and has the count timed.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the GM is not an issue, and the O Line is a major issue that is directly responsible for game-losing plays, who is responsible for the OL?

If the GM is not an issue, and the O Line is a major issue that is directly responsible for game-losing plays, who is responsible for the OL?

We have less holes then we have holes. Few players on the O line and a MLB and the team is much better. For the most part, the team is very good. Except for the O line, which i stated IMO has more to do with us giving away the snap count then poor skill players on the line. And the line has been much better since Martin and Incognito has left. Outside of the Bills game, which again they seemed to be on our snap count and they were rushing us hard. We didnt run the ball and they played for the pass. We also could have called some roll outs and some screens to keep the defense on their heels a bit. But we didnt.

All stems from the coordinator IMO.

I think Shermans hands are tied as far as misdirection and screen plays. Our offensive line is just not athletic enough to play from sideline to sideline. And they obviously can't block Downfield. The reason for the offensive word in running are completely on the Oline! The holes just aren't there.

When you force our mediocre backs to make an athletic play every single play...you wear them out. If Ireland doesn't fix this line in the off season then yes...a scoulding should ensue. We pass because it's the only thing our offense can make plays with.

I blame the staff more for the issues up front. They should have run it MORE and allowed them to plow ahead. Asking them to perform a ZBS has been silly. Plus throwing it 65% of the time has put undue pressure on them.

BTW, wasn't Joe supposed to bring an explosive offense with him? How he skates by in all of this amazes me.

You are not getting it, it is not about a perfect gm, it is about a good one. One with a vision and a winning plan. This guy has none, no vision, why ? because it doesn't take six drafts to build a winning team.
Quick, name one stud running back this has ever drafted???
Name on stud wide receiver he has ever drafted ?
Name one stud tight end he has ever drafted ?
Name a pro bowl linebacker, DE, DT OL or any pro bowl worthy player he has ever drafted. None! Other than Jake long who was a consensus all American and a can't miss player.
You win with players and it is the job of the GM to get you those players to help you win.
Besides, there is no way no how a GM blew so much money available under the tight salary cap, blew multiple draft choices and not have a winning team and then keeps his job. No way!!
DO YOU REALIZE MIAMI HAD 2 #TWOS, 2 #THREES, 2 #FOURS AND 3 #FIVES GOING INTO THIS PAST DRAFT AND WE CAME OUT WITHOUT ONE FREEAKING STARTER. NOT ONE!!!!!

Remember the Detroit experiment with Matt Millen, it was a little too late. Miami must not make the same mistake. Cut the cord, the Percells cord that is....

I blame the staff more for the issues up front. They should have run it MORE and allowed them to plow ahead. Asking them to perform a ZBS has been silly. Plus throwing it 65% of the time has put undue pressure on them.

BTW, wasn't Joe supposed to bring an explosive offense with him? How he skates by in all of this amazes me.

Agree with this. The ZBS is something i meant to touch on (and have in the past in other threads) I think that was a big issue. Also, i think the Offense would have and could have been much more explosive if we had Keller healthy.

DO YOU REALIZE MIAMI HAD 2 #TWOS, 2 #THREES, 2 #FOURS AND 3 #FIVES GOING INTO THIS PAST DRAFT AND WE CAME OUT WITHOUT ONE FREEAKING STARTER. NOT ONE!!!!!

Don't forget, philbin had his hand in this draft too.

You are not getting it, it is not about a perfect gm, it is about a good one. One with a vision and a winning plan. This guy has none, no vision, why ? because it doesn't take six drafts to build a winning team.
Quick, name one stud running back this has ever drafted???
Name on stud wide receiver he has ever drafted ?
Name one stud tight end he has ever drafted ?
Name a pro bowl linebacker, DE, DT OL or any pro bowl worthy player he has ever drafted. None! Other than Jake long who was a consensus all American and a can't miss player.
You win with players and it is the job of the GM to get you those players to help you win.
Besides, there is no way no how a GM blew so much money available under the tight salary cap, blew multiple draft choices and not have a winning team and then keeps his job. No way!!

Remember the Detroit experiment with Matt Millen, it was a little too late. Miami must not make the same mistake. Cut the cord, the Percells cord that is....

Good to know you failed to read my thread. And Ireland wasnt calling the shots when Parcells was here.

I mentioned the Stud players @ the positions you are asking for already. The team is 8-7 and should have 3 more wins easily. Read the thread and you will know why i am defending Ireland.

How does he have no vision? The dude has drafted a playoff team in 3 years.

We are not a couple players away. Our OL RB LB are all major problems and nearly every other position has only borderline talent scrounged up at the tailend of drafts. We should demand much more than this after 6 years. The last year with all the picks and money was arguably his worst. Nothing from the rookies and way overpaid for a disappointing bunch of FAs. We need to do better than ireland if we ever want to compete for SBs.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are not a couple players away. Our OL RB LB are all major problems and nearly every other position has only borderline talent scrounged up at the tailend of drafts. We should demand much more than this after 6 years. The last year with all the picks and money was arguable his worst. Nothing from the rookies and way overpaid for a disappointing bunch of FAs. We need to do better than ireland if we ever want to compete for SBs.

You cant expect for all the rookies to make immidiate impacts. There is a such thing as player development. Which is something the Dolphins staff has been good with if you notice how we have brought along all of our players the past 3 years.

Againt.. Ireland was not calling the shots when Parcells was here. You cant judge him from 5-4 years ago. And he was brought along after the draft in 2008 , so you cant call it 6 years ago even if you wanted to count that.

You cant expect for all the rookies to make immidiate impacts. .

How about just 1 rookie making a semi-impact? Is that asking too much? Apparently for some of you it is.

Like I've said, his last offseason has HORRIBLE considering all the resources he had. Also, the reason he had all that money is because none of the guys he drafted were worth resigning.

Our offense will be EXPLOSIVE if and only if Ireland can get us an o line this off season. What Tannehill has been able to do with an inept run game and horrible pass protection is crazy. I can't remember a time we had a qb recently with over 20TD passes, and actually throws them to WRs.

The talent is there, but i haven't seen so much potential since Marino and Shula. With a better Oline, this is a 13 win team

How about just 1 rookie making a semi-impact? Is that asking too much? Apparently for some of you it is.

Our 2 Cbs are playing behind 3 good CBs (Grimes/Patterson/Carroll) Then Wilson is our Nickle Guy. You are asking for too much.

Jordan should be playing LB imo, and that is not IRELANDS FAULT. Its a coaching issue. But Jordan shouldnt be playing DE over Vernon and Wake right now... He is a DE.

Sims is a rookie TE who has had some issues blocking and has 2 other Tes in front of him. Thomas is a project lineman and the rest are later draft picks who will take time to develop.

I dont get why you are complaining. Our first few picks are at positions we are currently strong at now because past picks stepped up. Who cares if we dont have rookies producing right this min, they will still develop into solid players. It takes time to develop in the NFL. We should have 11-12 wins right now. Would the rookie starters be an issue if our record was 11-4 right now?

This thread is giving my brain that familiar wormy feeling.

Back
Top Bottom