Playoffs? Yes! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Playoffs? Yes!

SCall13 said:
Bold prediction? Homer statement? Call it what you like, but I think Miami gets into the playoffs as a Wild Card. Why?

1) Miami is not nearly as bad as their record last year said they were. 4-12? Terrible yes. But it was more a product of a pitiful, unorganized coaching staff and the fact that RW walked out on us. The impact of a coaching staff in disarray and losing the cornerstone of your offense is obviously huge. I'm not so sure we would have made the playoffs WITH Ricky last year just because of who the coach was.

2) This team is already fired up. There is a positive air about everything going on within this organization and it is contagious. The players believe in what is going on already. They are excited about what the new coaches are bringing to the team in terms of philosophy, attitude, fire and a no nonsense approach.

3) The offensive line was improving last year and still there is nowhere to go but up for our unit. The blocking schemes, along with the plays, were vanilla. It was more in your face blocking that played into the defenses hands. Our blocking scheme we used last year almost told the defense what the play was: where it was going, whether it was run or pass, etc. Not that it was hard to figure us out...run, run, pass, punt.
This year we'll use a combination of blocks incuding Zone blocking which allows the RB to read the block and make his own decision on where to run. The offensive line also has arguably the best, and definetly one of the best coaches in the game in Houck. With him as a coach, this line will make huge strides.
4) Even as predictable as were last year, we were only blown away once. We were literally a few less mistakes away from being a .500 team even with the problems we were having on offense and as team in general.

5) Saban has no plans to just "show up". Just like all the other smoke screens he is putting up, the "build to win later stuff is another smoke screen somewhat. Sure he is looking toward the future but there is NO DOUBT this man wants to win now. He is obviously very competitive and he will not settle for a losing season. He may not come right out and say it, but he has a realistic goal of making the playoffs and the players are on the boat with him. Should we make the playoffs- you never know...we could make some noise.

6) Our defense will be dominant.

7) Our offenses point output will increase by probably an average of 5 to 6 points per game. That is approximately another TD per game. Not hard to increase the output by a TD over how bad we were last year, yet that much of a difference will be huge along side a dominating D.

8) Our running game will improve dramatically regardless of who is running the ball. Gordon, R. Brown, Williams, or RB by committee. Just a 50% improvement will make a difference. Better blocking by the Oline will open up the running game(obviously) and there is no question our line will get it done.

9) Whoever our QB is, AJ, Gus, rookie - we will attack more downfield. Our big plays will increase and our passing game and running game will compliment each other and open things up for our offense for those big plays. There is absolutely no question we will go downfield more often. Chambers and Booker both have pro bowl potential. (Booker has been there) And Randy McMichael can be the best TE in the league if he'd focus more on playing than trash talking. Which he will now that Saban is in town.

10) Saban knows how to harness talent and get the best out of his player. 'nuff said here.

11) Our veterans are hungry and they are buying into the new regime quickly. We've heard it all before, but our veterans will play with a bigger sense of urgency this year. But now they'll do it on a team that actually SCHEMES for their opponents and attacks weaknesses which in turn creates big plays on offense and defense.

I could keep going, but this should more than get my point across. I feel pretty strongly that this team will shock alot of people and be around in January.

Fire away...

Go Dolphins...

I agree with everything you said..Damn, I can't wait for the season to start already..

Justasportsfan said:
I think Bills, Jets and Pats fans feel the same way. Maybe all 4 AFCE teams will make playoffs :huh:

I was just thinking in my head that a Bills Fan would be the first one to poop on this thread..We shall see...

BlitPhinFan said:
Thanks Skape. I was going to mention you if he asked about the resident artists. Me I am happy with mine for the time being. I like to dabble and try to create my own. I am not up to par with the rest of you artists here but I do try my best. :D

I would send him to you all well before offering to create one for him.

:Edit: Btw... that cheerleader in my avatar is Jackie... and no, she never posed with that background. That used to be Amber in that scene. It took me alot of courage and patience to remove Amber from that scence and replace her with Jackie. :)

Nice! :up: Good Job! I never would have known it was altered had you not mentioned it..

I think they will suprise alot of people this year. They will be better then everybody thinks. Hopefully that will translate into the playoffs.

zevo said:

You really should never make a disparaging remark about anything after you called Willis McGahee the best running back EVER. I mean come on man.

SkapePhin said:
Nice! :up: Good Job! I never would have known it was altered had you not mentioned it..

Thank you for the props. :D On a side note, what software do you use to create the animated gifs? I used to be up on all this when I was younger, but business has taken me away from todays tools for graphic design. I am currently using GIMP to do all my work. I am new to it so I haven't explored all of it's tools yet. I created the ones you see with photoshop at work*cough*, but never get the time there to truely use all of it's tools.

I am an old timer when it comes to graphics design. I used to be the consumate pixel painter in the late 80's. You know... where you paint an entire scene pixel by pixel using something along the lines of Deluxe Paint on an Amiga. heh,heh

BlitPhinFan said:
Thank you for the props. :D On a side note, what software do you use to create the animated gifs? I used to be up on all this when I was younger, but business has taken me away from todays tools for graphic design. I am currently using GIMP to do all my work. I am new to it so I haven't explored all of it's tools yet. I created the ones you see with photoshop at work*cough*, but never get the time there to truely use all of it's tools.

I am an old timer when it comes to graphics design. I used to be the consumate pixel painter in the late 80's. You know... where you paint an entire scene pixel by pixel using something along the lines of DPaint on an Amiga. heh,heh

Haha nice! I actually miss those old VGA games like the classic Sierra and LucasArts games where each scene was painted pixel by pixel. I use ImageReady (Its bundled with PhotoshopCS) for the animated stuff..

I think we'll finish 9-7 with a slight chance for the wildcard. That being said I say we shoot for 16-0 ;)

SCall13 said:
Bold prediction? Homer statement? Call it what you like, but I think Miami gets into the playoffs as a Wild Card. Why?

1) Miami is not nearly as bad as their record last year said they were. 4-12? Terrible yes. But it was more a product of a pitiful, unorganized coaching staff and the fact that RW walked out on us. The impact of a coaching staff in disarray and losing the cornerstone of your offense is obviously huge. I'm not so sure we would have made the playoffs WITH Ricky last year just because of who the coach was.

2) This team is already fired up. There is a positive air about everything going on within this organization and it is contagious. The players believe in what is going on already. They are excited about what the new coaches are bringing to the team in terms of philosophy, attitude, fire and a no nonsense approach.

3) The offensive line was improving last year and still there is nowhere to go but up for our unit. The blocking schemes, along with the plays, were vanilla. It was more in your face blocking that played into the defenses hands. Our blocking scheme we used last year almost told the defense what the play was: where it was going, whether it was run or pass, etc. Not that it was hard to figure us out...run, run, pass, punt.
This year we'll use a combination of blocks incuding Zone blocking which allows the RB to read the block and make his own decision on where to run. The offensive line also has arguably the best, and definetly one of the best coaches in the game in Houck. With him as a coach, this line will make huge strides.
4) Even as predictable as were last year, we were only blown away once. We were literally a few less mistakes away from being a .500 team even with the problems we were having on offense and as team in general.

5) Saban has no plans to just "show up". Just like all the other smoke screens he is putting up, the "build to win later stuff is another smoke screen somewhat. Sure he is looking toward the future but there is NO DOUBT this man wants to win now. He is obviously very competitive and he will not settle for a losing season. He may not come right out and say it, but he has a realistic goal of making the playoffs and the players are on the boat with him. Should we make the playoffs- you never know...we could make some noise.

6) Our defense will be dominant.

7) Our offenses point output will increase by probably an average of 5 to 6 points per game. That is approximately another TD per game. Not hard to increase the output by a TD over how bad we were last year, yet that much of a difference will be huge along side a dominating D.

8) Our running game will improve dramatically regardless of who is running the ball. Gordon, R. Brown, Williams, or RB by committee. Just a 50% improvement will make a difference. Better blocking by the Oline will open up the running game(obviously) and there is no question our line will get it done.

9) Whoever our QB is, AJ, Gus, rookie - we will attack more downfield. Our big plays will increase and our passing game and running game will compliment each other and open things up for our offense for those big plays. There is absolutely no question we will go downfield more often. Chambers and Booker both have pro bowl potential. (Booker has been there) And Randy McMichael can be the best TE in the league if he'd focus more on playing than trash talking. Which he will now that Saban is in town.

10) Saban knows how to harness talent and get the best out of his player. 'nuff said here.

11) Our veterans are hungry and they are buying into the new regime quickly. We've heard it all before, but our veterans will play with a bigger sense of urgency this year. But now they'll do it on a team that actually SCHEMES for their opponents and attacks weaknesses which in turn creates big plays on offense and defense.

I could keep going, but this should more than get my point across. I feel pretty strongly that this team will shock alot of people and be around in January.

Fire away...

Go Dolphins...

i think, besides SABAN, topics 2 and 11 are the two main reasons we're gonna succeed and the "rest" of the league is not considering it

SCall13 said:
Bills: Losman at QB - very raw. A young inexperienced QB sets this team back.

Pats: Lost both coordinators. Still probably toughest in division but could just as easily suffer a setback

Jets: Teams are figuring out Pennington and Martin is getting older. Yeah, he won the rushing title last year. But you have to figure he is getting wear on him. He will not repeat last years numbers. If Pennington goes down, they have....FIEDLER.

Miami has a legitimate shot at having a good division record. A very GOOD shot.

I don't think our O will be taking a step back. Sideways, is a possibility. What does Drew have that JP doesn't? You can throw away the experience thing because Drew was making bonehead rookie decisions. A a matter of fact, because of JP's mobility our O can be more creative. Mulakey is an offensive coach and not a defensive one. He would know what's best for the team offensively. Obviously , he thought Drew wasn't the answer.

JP may be raw but Feely hasn't proven he's the answer either and Gus? Don't forget, that we also have Holcombe. Although JP is considered the starter for now, I doubt Mularkey will insists on starting him if Holcomb is showing he's way better than JP at camp. Holcomb is not raw. I'd even go as far as saying, he's more proven than Feely and has more upside than GUs and Drew. .

Justasportsfan said:
I'd even go as far as saying, he's better than Feely.
I'd say Holcombe is inconsistent at best. While Feely isn't that proven is I'd say that it's HARD to say that he is better than Feely.

ether79 said:
I'd say Holcombe is inconsistent at best. While Feely isn't that proven is I'd say that it's HARD to say that he is better than Feely.
I edited it while you responded.

My point is, how can one expect the fins to make playoffs when the fins are in the very same predicament as the bills at qb postion? Both teams don't know what they've got at the qb position. The bills have the edge (in theory,the season itself will determine the facts) in every other aspect of the team. You have a new coach/system, you still don't have a rb, your OL is still questionable.

Back
Top Bottom