Playoffs? Yes! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Playoffs? Yes!

SCall13

Finheaven QB
Reaction score
Bold prediction? Homer statement? Call it what you like, but I think Miami gets into the playoffs as a Wild Card. Why?

1) Miami is not nearly as bad as their record last year said they were. 4-12? Terrible yes. But it was more a product of a pitiful, unorganized coaching staff and the fact that RW walked out on us. The impact of a coaching staff in disarray and losing the cornerstone of your offense is obviously huge. I'm not so sure we would have made the playoffs WITH Ricky last year just because of who the coach was.

2) This team is already fired up. There is a positive air about everything going on within this organization and it is contagious. The players believe in what is going on already. They are excited about what the new coaches are bringing to the team in terms of philosophy, attitude, fire and a no nonsense approach.

3) The offensive line was improving last year and still there is nowhere to go but up for our unit. The blocking schemes, along with the plays, were vanilla. It was more in your face blocking that played into the defenses hands. Our blocking scheme we used last year almost told the defense what the play was: where it was going, whether it was run or pass, etc. Not that it was hard to figure us out...run, run, pass, punt.
This year we'll use a combination of blocks incuding Zone blocking which allows the RB to read the block and make his own decision on where to run. The offensive line also has arguably the best, and definetly one of the best coaches in the game in Houck. With him as a coach, this line will make huge strides.
4) Even as predictable as were last year, we were only blown away once. We were literally a few less mistakes away from being a .500 team even with the problems we were having on offense and as team in general.

5) Saban has no plans to just "show up". Just like all the other smoke screens he is putting up, the "build to win later stuff is another smoke screen somewhat. Sure he is looking toward the future but there is NO DOUBT this man wants to win now. He is obviously very competitive and he will not settle for a losing season. He may not come right out and say it, but he has a realistic goal of making the playoffs and the players are on the boat with him. Should we make the playoffs- you never know...we could make some noise.

6) Our defense will be dominant.

7) Our offenses point output will increase by probably an average of 5 to 6 points per game. That is approximately another TD per game. Not hard to increase the output by a TD over how bad we were last year, yet that much of a difference will be huge along side a dominating D.

8) Our running game will improve dramatically regardless of who is running the ball. Gordon, R. Brown, Williams, or RB by committee. Just a 50% improvement will make a difference. Better blocking by the Oline will open up the running game(obviously) and there is no question our line will get it done.

9) Whoever our QB is, AJ, Gus, rookie - we will attack more downfield. Our big plays will increase and our passing game and running game will compliment each other and open things up for our offense for those big plays. There is absolutely no question we will go downfield more often. Chambers and Booker both have pro bowl potential. (Booker has been there) And Randy McMichael can be the best TE in the league if he'd focus more on playing than trash talking. Which he will now that Saban is in town.

10) Saban knows how to harness talent and get the best out of his player. 'nuff said here.

11) Our veterans are hungry and they are buying into the new regime quickly. We've heard it all before, but our veterans will play with a bigger sense of urgency this year. But now they'll do it on a team that actually SCHEMES for their opponents and attacks weaknesses which in turn creates big plays on offense and defense.

I could keep going, but this should more than get my point across. I feel pretty strongly that this team will shock alot of people and be around in January.

Fire away...

Go Dolphins...

Being optimist is always good but you are making tons of conjectures, I would not dare and say our entire Offense will be all that better before they even wear pads. I dont know I think its all feasable and you did a good work, but by basing low expectations, like a 8-8 team its easier to manage failure and success tastes a lot better.

I think Bills, Jets and Pats fans feel the same way. Maybe all 4 AFCE teams will make playoffs :huh:

Justasportsfan said:
I think Bills, Jets and Pats fans feel the same way. Maybe all 4 AFCE teams will make playoffs :huh:

The funnny thing is I can still recall the years the the AFC East represented three of the six playoff teams in the AFC. Thanks to the restructuring it may very well never happen again... but man were those some great times.

P.s. I know you were being somewhat facetious... it just brought back some fun memories and yet some agonizing ones as well.

Joey 22 said:
Being optimist is always good but you are making tons of conjectures, I would not dare and say our entire Offense will be all that better before they even wear pads. I dont know I think its all feasable and you did a good work, but by basing low expectations, like a 8-8 team its easier to manage failure and success tastes a lot better.

That's true. I agree that setting expectations low may be better -hope for the best, expect the worse. But that's ok. I just wanted to get what I thought out there to get everyone's opinion.

SCall13 said:
Bold prediction? Homer statement? Call it what you like, but I think Miami gets into the playoffs as a Wild Card. Why?

1) Miami is not nearly as bad as their record last year said they were. 4-12? Terrible yes. But it was more a product of a pitiful, unorganized coaching staff and the fact that RW walked out on us. The impact of a coaching staff in disarray and losing the cornerstone of your offense is obviously huge. I'm not so sure we would have made the playoffs WITH Ricky last year just because of who the coach was.

2) This team is already fired up. There is a positive air about everything going on within this organization and it is contagious. The players believe in what is going on already. They are excited about what the new coaches are bringing to the team in terms of philosophy, attitude, fire and a no nonsense approach.

3) The offensive line was improving last year and still there is nowhere to go but up for our unit. The blocking schemes, along with the plays, were vanilla. It was more in your face blocking that played into the defenses hands. Our blocking scheme we used last year almost told the defense what the play was: where it was going, whether it was run or pass, etc. Not that it was hard to figure us out...run, run, pass, punt.
This year we'll use a combination of blocks incuding Zone blocking which allows the RB to read the block and make his own decision on where to run. The offensive line also has arguably the best, and definetly one of the best coaches in the game in Houck. With him as a coach, this line will make huge strides.
4) Even as predictable as were last year, we were only blown away once. We were literally a few less mistakes away from being a .500 team even with the problems we were having on offense and as team in general.

5) Saban has no plans to just "show up". Just like all the other smoke screens he is putting up, the "build to win later stuff is another smoke screen somewhat. Sure he is looking toward the future but there is NO DOUBT this man wants to win now. He is obviously very competitive and he will not settle for a losing season. He may not come right out and say it, but he has a realistic goal of making the playoffs and the players are on the boat with him. Should we make the playoffs- you never know...we could make some noise.

6) Our defense will be dominant.

7) Our offenses point output will increase by probably an average of 5 to 6 points per game. That is approximately another TD per game. Not hard to increase the output by a TD over how bad we were last year, yet that much of a difference will be huge along side a dominating D.

8) Our running game will improve dramatically regardless of who is running the ball. Gordon, R. Brown, Williams, or RB by committee. Just a 50% improvement will make a difference. Better blocking by the Oline will open up the running game(obviously) and there is no question our line will get it done.

9) Whoever our QB is, AJ, Gus, rookie - we will attack more downfield. Our big plays will increase and our passing game and running game will compliment each other and open things up for our offense for those big plays. There is absolutely no question we will go downfield more often. Chambers and Booker both have pro bowl potential. (Booker has been there) And Randy McMichael can be the best TE in the league if he'd focus more on playing than trash talking. Which he will now that Saban is in town.

10) Saban knows how to harness talent and get the best out of his player. 'nuff said here.

11) Our veterans are hungry and they are buying into the new regime quickly. We've heard it all before, but our veterans will play with a bigger sense of urgency this year. But now they'll do it on a team that actually SCHEMES for their opponents and attacks weaknesses which in turn creates big plays on offense and defense.

I could keep going, but this should more than get my point across. I feel pretty strongly that this team will shock alot of people and be around in January.

Fire away...

Go Dolphins...

Excellent post dude :up:

nice optmism, but honestly even though i feel we have the potenttial to be a 10 win team next season, i think there is just too much competition in the AFC and more importantly, AFCE for us to get that many wins.

i would say we go 8-8 or 9-7 but in the NFC we would easily be a 10 win team. the fact is though, we are in a division where ALL FOUR teams are playoff calibur, no other division like that.

You make a lot of excellent points. But I still think we won't get into the playoffs. We are in the toughest division with the Bills, Pats, and Jets. Plus we still have a lot of areas for concern if we don't get the right players in the draft. I predict a 7-9 record, but no playoffs.

Back
Top Bottom