Please allow larger avatar sizes... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Please allow larger avatar sizes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeeMoney

Kid A
Club Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to be allowed larger avatar sizes? 20Kb is too small. With the avatars that are allowed, along with the signature pictures and the updated messageboard design there should certainly be room to allow larger sized avatars. I don't mean larger as in pixel height and width, but larger in KB's.

Thank you for allowing this to be posted here for a short (possibly very short) time. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and thank you for agreeing and including your own posts in favor of larger avatar sizes.

Shouldn't you read the post before replying? Just a simple suggestion from a simple man.

i agree with teemoney, but i guess they have some reason to support that limit although i cant think of one

Phin-o-rama said:
i agree with teemoney, but i guess they have some reason to support that limit although i cant think of one

It is done as a courtesy to dial up users, I believe. There are 15 posts per page x 20k in avatar = 300k. If you add in the sigs, it makes for a slow load for those who don't have broadband.

i guess that makes sense, although with the amount of sigs you see around here now it couldn't be much more.

but good point, its been so long since i had to use dial up i forgot it existed :D

lol

My only reply to the dial-up users and catering to their baud modems is that we do have the option to turn off avatars or signatures and images in our options. If a dial-up user finds that the pages load to slow then they can turn these options off and it will load just fine for them.

I hope someone in the site's administration will agree with this. Why have the option to turn off avatars and signatures/images- yet still set a very low limit on their sizes? I can understand wanting everything to look nice, and I'm not arguing for increasing the height and width of the avatars, just the size available to upload.

Celtkin said:
It is done as a courtesy to dial up users, I believe. There are 15 posts per page x 20k in avatar = 300k. If you add in the sigs, it makes for a slow load for those who don't have broadband.

Maybe they shouldn't be so cheap;)

tee are you upset that your avatar is only in black and white, we can upgrade it for you :D its a pretty common avatar and banner size through out the web, of the 5 boards i post at frequently this one allows the largest.

TeeMoney said:
Shouldn't you read the post before replying? Just a simple suggestion from a simple man.

I didn't have to. The thread title makes it obvious where this thread belongs.

And yet you still couldn't "simply" post it in the proper forum, which BTW gives you a better chance of your thread being seen.....as this forum is moves much slower than Main.

Anyway, there are no immediate plans to increase the file size limits of avatars. Our goal is to provide a site that moves as quickly as possible while remaining aesthetically pleasing. That's the balance we strive for. Believe it or not, some of our most prominent and beloved members are dialup users. And we'd like for them to be able to enjoy the site fully.

Muck said:
I didn't have to. The thread title makes it obvious where this thread belongs.

It is obvious that I wasn't speaking to you, you had not even posted prior to my post.

Muck said:
....as this forum is moves much slower than Main.

Thank you for moving the topic to the proper forum.

Muck said:
. Our goal is to provide a site that moves as quickly as possible while remaining aesthetically pleasing. That's the balance we strive for. Believe it or not, some of our most prominent and beloved members are dialup users. And we'd like for them to be able to enjoy the site fully.

There are options which allow for those with slower connections (or fast connections that don't wish to view avatars and signatures) to not load avatars, or signatures, or images. If there is a problem with someones connection, or they feel it takes too long for a page to load, they can remove the speed bump in the sites loading for them. Why have the option if there is no reason for people to take advantage of the option?

Here is a good option, imo- 90x120 pixels and 150K

Those with broadband connections will be able to view animated avatars, and will allow for the option for slower connections to let the page load, or shut off avatars. You have the option in place, use it.

You have the option to post elsewhere too....should you be forced to use it???

Why should people be forced to turn off avatars and sigs because 1 person wants things their way and has no regard for anyone else?

The people that want to use those options should be allowed to use them, if they want to, not because they are forced to turn it off.

I'm sure it's a very fine line for the staff that runs this site but, the reality is that this is a Miami Dolphins FOOTBALL site, not a "look at my cool avatar" site.

I'm not sure why this is still being discussed. Muck answered the question, and his answer reflects our policy. A policy that is not going to be changed because one or two members out of almost 10,000 think it should be so.

TeeMoney said:
It is obvious that I wasn't speaking to you, you had not even posted prior to my post.

Doesn't change the fact that you purposely posted in the wrong forum. That's what speaks to me. This thread is also addressed to me, an admin. Therefore I feel I can respond to anything in it.

There are options which allow for those with slower connections (or fast connections that don't wish to view avatars and signatures) to not load avatars, or signatures, or images. If there is a problem with someones connection, or they feel it takes too long for a page to load, they can remove the speed bump in the sites loading for them. Why have the option if there is no reason for people to take advantage of the option?

Some people with broadband connections prefer not to look at avatars and signatures at all. Heck, I have friends who wish the internet was all text (BORING). Different strokes. But we feel they should be the ones who make that choice, not us.

And though we're housed on on a fairly robust server, the less data we have to serve during peak times (draft, games, breaking news etc), the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom