Please help me understand this Wade Smith thing... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Please help me understand this Wade Smith thing...

AlanSaysYo

Practice Squad
Reaction score
So Wade isn't good enough to keep his starting job at tackle... fine. I can see why he was benched. He was letting more guys past than Stevie Wonder outside a night club. But why are there reports now that he could compete for the center job? Do we really want the guy who couldn't block on his own to have the responsibility of making line calls and actually touching the ball? When was the last time this guy actually played center? I know he was expected to be versatile out of the draft, but we've seen him for two years, and all he's proven is that he should be coming to games with a red cape and a flower in his teeth.

What am I missing here?

AlanSaysYo said:
So Wade isn't good enough to keep his starting job at tackle... fine. I can see why he was benched. He was letting more guys past than Stevie Wonder outside a night club. But why are there reports now that he could compete for the center job? Do we really want the guy who couldn't block on his own to have the responsibility of making line calls and actually touching the ball? When was the last time this guy actually played center? I know he was expected to be versatile out of the draft, but we've seen him for two years, and all he's proven is that he should be coming to games with a red cape and a flower in his teeth.

What am I missing here?
I think it could be a good move. He blocks well when he gets his hands on guys and is a good athlete but isnt good in space. I like the move and don't like McKinney

Phinsfan1980 said:
I think it could be a good move. He blocks well when he gets his hands on guys and is a good athlete but isnt good in space. I like the move and don't like McKinney

It's about leg drive, mobility, and athleticism. All the physical attributes of a great center.

I think Smith might be able to excell when he has two players beside him instead of trying to hold the fort down on the end of line. It is an interesting move.

So do you think he would be a good center or not?:confused:
Jaj said:
It's about leg drive, mobility, and athleticism. All the physical attributes of a great center.

I agree. We may have something with him at C. he was just too damn slow for a LT. BUt once he gets his hands on you, he can overpower you. Its a perfect opportunity for Houck to prove his worth.

If he was able to pick up enough of the mental game to a point where he doesn't make many mistakes, he can be a Pro Bowl center. No I'm not joking.

I am not crazy about Wade Smith becoming our center either....he did waive a lot of guys through, so why would he become a blocking genius as a Center??? Draft Ben Wilkerson Center out of LSU..that's the answer. :)

Jaj said:
If he was able to pick up enough of the mental game to a point where he doesn't make many mistakes, he can be a Pro Bowl center. No I'm not joking.
I completely agree :yes:

I guess I wasn't thinking about speed... and I do remember some of the players saying last year that McKinney was hesitant on some of his line calls.

Reminds me of that Sunday night game where we got called for "false start, everyone but the center..."

Guys...all this mean is that coach HH will have several guys compete at several positions. He will Try Carey at LT also. Does that mean Carey (at LT) and Smith (at C) will be starting next year?? Of course not,What coach HH will do is have serious competition at all the positions, I believe that no player has a spot secured. Hadnot, who played good last year, has baloon to about 340-350 lbs. So if he comes in fat and out of shape, he will get fater at the end of the bench. About the only sure returner is James. McDougle will probably play RT, James probably will stay at LG. So the other 3 positions are up for grab!!

AlanSaysYo said:

What am I missing here?

you are missing years of coaching experience and years of coaching offensive linemen.

Back
Top Bottom