please keep in mind | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

please keep in mind

Dajesus

Active Roster
Reaction score
I hope everyone doesn't think if Miami picks an o-lineman in the draft all their problems will be solved. O-line is probably only behind qb as hardest transitions in to the nfl. How often do you think these soon to be rookies have seen NFL sized D-lineman with NFL speed in college? Probably 5-10 d-lineman that are drafted in apirl will start this season. There are 117 D1 college football teams you do the math. Then add in the fact of much more complex blocking schemes, and more responseabilitys. I remember watching the Dolphin-Seahawk game nd hearing the commentator speaking on Steve Hutchinson(OG from taking in the 1st round last year) he said "Holmgren sais he loves the kids ability, if he can't just overlook the 5 blocks a game he misses. The talent is there, but it will take time, they just hope their qb is still healthy by the time he gets the hang of it." I just think it will be better for Jay and our running game if we add a couple starters at o-line in FA, and tend to another need on round 1. Then maybe look what is left on a o-line in round 4.

while that may be true, the guys we had out there missed plenty of blocks and were rarely getting any push or opening any holes. Typically, a rookie OL can be a good run blocker, but will have trouble in pass protection due to the points you just noted: I can live with that if they keep improving.

no sh*t!

How about todd wade ? He came in and did an excellent job! It can happen!I say o line first! This is where it starts!Then d line! These are the biggest problems and need to be delt with accordingly!:evil:

I agree with the O-line first rulings. While you make valuable points Dajesus, you're missing the point. It couldnt get any worse than last year in the trenches. We need some muscle between the tackles as part of an equation, not to solve the whole problem! It all starts up front! The best back available couldnt gain 1000 yards behind that patchwork we had going on last year!

Also bear in mind that we are getting Brent Smith back at 100%. He is ready to go now, so that is a fix at LT. Now all we need is a LG, and Dixon is coming back. Will he be productive? I dunno, I say we draft at Guard in round three, and go RB, or DT in round one.

Man is this like the fifth time I have said this? lol

Our O line could be solid with just getting the players we had injured back. Seriously, I just watched the Titans game, and I am starting the Oakland game, and our O line even without Smith was doing a pretty good job.

The Dixon and Gardener situations make it equally imperative to take and OL and DT early. We should take the best available between DT, RB or G in rd. 1 - unless of course, we sign a cheap FA at DT before the draft. :D

Yeah, its a toss-up. It all depends on March 1st and whatever happens after that. FA signing is hard to gauge because you never know whats going through the head of a Vet, unlike picking a rook, where you know all of 'em are like "Pick me, Pick me, I'll play for anything!"

Originally posted by Dajesus
I hope everyone doesn't think if Miami picks an o-lineman in the draft all their problems will be solved. O-line is probably only behind qb as hardest transitions in to the nfl. How often do you think these soon to be rookies have seen NFL sized D-lineman with NFL speed in college? Probably 5-10 d-lineman that are drafted in apirl will start this season. There are 117 D1 college football teams you do the math. Then add in the fact of much more complex blocking schemes, and more responseabilitys. I remember watching the Dolphin-Seahawk game nd hearing the commentator speaking on Steve Hutchinson(OG from taking in the 1st round last year) he said "Holmgren sais he loves the kids ability, if he can't just overlook the 5 blocks a game he misses. The talent is there, but it will take time, they just hope their qb is still healthy by the time he gets the hang of it." I just think it will be better for Jay and our running game if we add a couple starters at o-line in FA, and tend to another need on round 1. Then maybe look what is left on a o-line in round 4.

I know. We are good at C, one OT, and one OG (if Dixon comes back) If we draft Fonoti, then all we will need is another OT, and our starting line will be decent again.

Re: no sh*t!

Originally posted by badfoot
How about todd wade ? He came in and did an excellent job! It can happen!I say o line first! This is where it starts!Then d line! These are the biggest problems and need to be delt with accordingly!:evil:

Todd also plays the easyiest postion on the o-line, and he played w/a vetreran line that could make up for his mistakes. How goos was he last year? Anyway I wasn't saying forget the o-line i am just saying i would rather have a vetrean FA come in then a rookie. And since o-line is the only deep postion in FA we should seriously look at it, and tend to the other needs in the draft. If o-line was the hole on this team I would be all for picking an o-lineman in round 1, but since it isn't i say bring in 2 FAs then look at DT or RB or even O-line if someone great falls in round 1.

Re: Re: no sh*t!

Originally posted by Dajesus

Todd also plays the easyiest postion on the o-line, and he played w/a vetreran line that could make up for his mistakes. And since o-line is the only deep postion in FA we should seriously look at it, and tend to the other needs in the draft
If we don't get a decent O-line next year, we'll ALL be in the "ass in the air" position 'cause we can't take another year of this missed tackles crapola.:cool:

delusional...

87 you are very optomistic!!!brent smith and mark dixon might be the best WE had but they are NOT that good. The fact that you say we are gonna have them back means very little to me .onr or the other has been hurt before and I believe dixon is an over achiever that just broke down.Im not sure but one of these guys has back problems(see daryl gardner!)This is like a death sentance for line men!! Bad backs dont get better and i believe that you are underestimating what we need to do to get this line back in shape....By the way get rid of perry too while we are at it,another of daves (chicago boys who didnt work out)big mistakes in free agency.:cool:

If you think about it

Before the season, our offensive line wasn't that bad, but they all got injured. I say that if all the guys come back healthy and we draft an OG, the offensive line won't be in bad shape next year.

ice..............

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
Before the season, our offensive line wasn't that bad, but they all got injured. I say that if all the guys come back healthy and we draft an OG, the offensive line won't be in bad shape next year.

That's based on the assumption that Mark Dixon and Brent Smith come back from their torn ACL's 100%, which I hope will be the case.:confused:

I do remember after Dixon(who i think is overated) was imjured the Heraold and the Sentinel reported that he was struggleing w/the thought of calling it quits. it seems his wife is pushing for it big time, and he doesn't know if he can break her heart again. Has anyone heard anything sence th

Back
Top Bottom