Please Trade Down- Or Up

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Jssanto, Feb 7, 2019.

1. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler Finheaven VIP

Agree, I really like the idea of trading down and acquiring multiple picks if possible.

2. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

I agree and acquire as many pics in the next two years as you can while still picking up very good quality players to fit our system. They need to be smart enough to understand and excel at it, and love the game.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  3. Blake the great

Blake the great A True Fan

That's kinda like a oxymoron. If there isn't a highly sought after payer at 13 then why would a team trade up into that spot?

4. Avigatorx

Avigatorx Sec. 107 Row 2 Finheaven VIP

Yeah, I agree. We need tank-insurance if we are truly sold on one of the guys coming out next year.

Even if we suck next year, there is no guarantee that two or three teams dont actually suck more. There is a good chance of this imo.

If we cant get the first pick in the 2020 draft, there is a very good chance our guy is gone.

Do what it takes to get your guy. If it takes multiple firsts to move up one spot, we need to do it. We need to have ammo in next year's draft.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  5. Avigatorx

Avigatorx Sec. 107 Row 2 Finheaven VIP

Depends on what your team needs are.

I'm expecting all the stud DL guys to be gone by 13. Im not crazy about that slot for DL, BUT, there is a chance that a team needing a stud ILB or CB might trade with us if a Devin White or Greedy Williams falls there.

As much as I love both of those players, I'd seriously consider a trade down if I can get that team's 1st in 2020.

Finding that trade partner might be tough, of course it all depends on how the draft falls.

Allegedly Grier had a partner for us last year, but we passed. I'm curious to see how this all plays out.

6. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

One reason the Patriots like to trade down/it makes sense for them to trade down = their prototypes are different from the rest of the NFL. Most teams don't have much use for a guy who is a little too big/not bendy enough to play DE in an even front and a little too small to play DE in an odd front. For NE, that's just right

Most teams want smaller, faster LB's. NE wants bigger LB's, who offer enough versatility in coverage, but who primarily take on OL as blitzers and in the run game.

Most teams want their most athletic OL to be OT's. NE has its best athletes at OG (who are smaller than most teams want at OG), and its OT's are too limited athletically by league standards, but they're huge.

This doesn't mean they always trade down, but I think it's one of the key reasons they're so willing.

7. Phindog

Phindog A True Fan

That also is pretty much saying there will be no trading going on from the 13th pick down which is pretty clueless.

An oxymoron would be assuming what we wouldn't need at 13 another team might.

One man's junk is another man's treasure.

8. Locke

Locke They looked like strong hands.

He’s brought up because FS was a glaring hole and Earl Thomas was someone everyone had been clamoring for. This isn’t a case of hindsight being 20/20.

Adam Strange likes this.
  9. Dogbone34

Dogbone34 cowboy surfer

I would try to trade down for more picks or take Devin White if he was still there at 13

10. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos Donator

Eagles fans say the same thing and being that I live in the Philly area, I hear it constantly.

The bottom line is that Earl Thomas not being drafted by the Miami Dolphins should not ever be a factor in why they do or don't make a trade in the future.

If we had taken Odrick and Gronkowski would the trade down within itself be judged any differently then the decision makers who pulled the triggers on specific players?

If anything was proved, it's that Bill Parcells should never have been allowed to buy our groceries.

11. Locke

Locke They looked like strong hands.

Oh, I agree completely. Each situation needs to be assessed individually.

I was just pointing out that Earl Thomas isn’t like Tom Brady or Russell Wilson where no one knew how good they were going to be and are using hindsight to whine about not drafting them.