Poll: FH Tannehill Level of Confidence Consensus (With Draft & FA Implications)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Vaark, Jan 9, 2018.

?

Poll: FH Tannehill Level Of Confidence Consensus (With Draft & FA Implications)

1. Confident in Tannehill - let's draft solely for need

2. Confident in Tannehill - but should draft a later-round developmental QB

3. Believe in Tannehill -but not confident in complete recovery- draft a top tier QB in case

4. On The Fence - Want him to succeed but prudent to draft a potential replacement to compete

5. No Confidence in Tannehill - Draft a top tier QB to replace him

6. No Confidence in Tannehill - Sign Both a Free Agent QB to replace him & Draft a QB In Waiting

7. Other - please specify

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins Finheaven VIP

Believe in Tannehill. But this year proved you need 2 maybe even 3 good QB's on your roster. If a legit QB falls to us at 11 or 43 I would take it.

Jimmy G being drafted by Patriots when they had Brady is a good example. He comes in wins his games while Brady is out and helps them get to another Super Bowl last year. Then they trade him and recoup most of the value. If Brady had declined they had a decent backup option by putting him in. It really does make sense. I know we have a lot of other needs. But if you have 2 quality QB's pushing each other it helps the team. Brady hadn't won a Super Bowl in 10 years. They draft a young QB and he suddenly take his game to another level and wins 2 Super Bowls.

Ray R likes this.
  2. Krush

Krush Finaholic Donator

Kaepernick is still available

Ray R likes this.
  3. Tannchise

Tannchise Banned Hammered

can you imagine this board if Phins take a qb at 11?
    It will be true entertainment

4. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

This is how I think next year plays out.

-QB1 Tannehill
    -QB2 Fales
    -QB3 Dougherty or the develpomental draft pick

There was a reason Fales played that last game.

Ray R likes this.
  5. Tannchise

Tannchise Banned Hammered

so if Tannehill gets hurt, that's the plan? I seriously doubt that. gase would lose his job and so would FO.

6. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

Unless your trading up for QB1 then not sure the rest makes much of a difference honestly, even then expect growing pains.

Ray R and NBP81 like this.
  7. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase Finheaven VIP

Only way I'm taking a qb is if Jackson is there in round 2.

Develop him, if he can get his accuracy in check and be more consistent in ball placement then he can be a star.

8. JamesBW43

JamesBW43 You're standing on my neck Finheaven VIP

On the Fence. Tannehill's first year with Gase was encouraging, but I don't think he can make the leap to a top tier QB. And these days it seems like without one, you're fighting an uphill battle no matter how good the rest of your team is. I hope I'm wrong, but I think it would be prudent to draft a QB on day 1 or 2.

BlueUndertow likes this.
  9. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs UCF 13-0 Finheaven VIP Donator

I'd like to see Miami draft a QB in round 4 or 5

fin415 and Ray R like this.
  10. Liphinphan

Liphinphan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

As entertaining as you with a thread complaining about the QB and coach daily? I really don't think many will freak out if they take a QB at 11, if they really like him. I would rather address the defense and find a QB to develop in the later rounds. There are actually a few good ones available. Can you imagine if Ryan plays very well this season and continues to progress with Gase? Somehow I don't think you would find that so entertaining. Sad, with you being such a true Dolphin fan and all

miami365 and Ray R like this.
  11. mwestberry

mwestberry FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Hard to believe with ALL of the colleges that have a football program.....and ALL of the QB's that want a job in the NFL... and ONLY 32 starter/backup (64 guys) to have a chance...that an NFL team is down to considering ONLY a handful of names to choose from....doesn't make sense ....shouldn't have to develop a QB for years or HAVE to rely on a 30+ year old guy to be a back up...only a few veteran QB's are worth an investment and roster spot as a back up

.if a QB has been in the league for 5 years or more and is still struggling to make a solid contribution to a team then I would be moving on from him...there is little chance he will be a starter...little chance he is grooming to be your starter...I wouldn't take up a roster spot and a big cap hit if the back up can't be counted on to take the reins when called upon (Strock, Morrall, Foles and the like) ...I would just as soon keep drafting a QB always looking for the guy to replace the guy at some point...

Half steps and treading water will keep you in mediocrity...Tannehill is our guy...and we STILL don't have a guy on the roster that can step in and win if needed...we STILL don't have a guy that can challenge a QB that mostly played WR in college... to me that is unacceptable....

If a guy has been on the team for years and is STILL incapable of filling in and making a solid contribution when needed then it's past time to move on...and you don't wait until you need him to figure that out...as a coach you need to KNOW during the pre-season if you have the right guy....will you ever really KNOW until you see him in action?...probably not but if your back up has been on the team for multiple seasons you SHOULD have a clue...should be no need to panic and shake the bushes for a 10 million dollar guy...

IMO

12. josephreese

josephreese Since '76

I get people wanting to draft a QB early if they don't like Tannehill as a starter for the next 5+ years, but I keep hearing about drafting a QB early in this draft as 2018 insurance against another Tannehill injury. That doesn't make sense to me. If Tanne goes down mid-season, are we really better off in 2018 with a rook than with a young vet that knows the offense?

13. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I'm much more concerned with our coaching staff and front office than I am with Tannehill

kevphin, miami365 and Sarnics13 like this.
  14. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

I'm pro-Tannehill, and considering that in 2016 he was the third most accurate percentage deep ball passer and had the 4th highest QBR in a clean pocket (factor in that our OL ranked 30th), a strong argument can be made to invest heavily in at least an average and durable OL and let Tannehill return the favor in dividends.

However, as confident as I am that he would, I am not confident in his knee holding up, or in his mobility to make things happen, despite the fact that he's become adroit at reading defenses. For that reason, I'd love to see us trade up for Baker Mayfield and then let him marinade like Rodgers did if Tannehill stays healthy, or withstand baptism by fire if he doesn't. In either scenario, IMO we'd have the best of both worlds.

CedarPhin likes this.
  15. phinschamp45

phinschamp45 Well-Known Member

Draft a qb in the first round. We do not even know if tannehill can suit up this year.

16. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

I think you're 100% correct in the sense that if Tannehill goes down, no rookie is going to come in and save the team in this complex offense. It will be a difficult learning curve, especially if it's fan favorite Baker Mayfield, who comes from a spread offense. With that said, if Tannehill does go down again, you don't want a rookie there as insurance, you want a rookie there to get game reps.

I'm OK with drafting a quarterback high if it's the right player and he falls to us. I don't agree with trade up scenarios AT ALL. If this team is going to trade up, I want Minkah Fitzpatrick or Derwin James, or someone who is ready to step in and be an impact defensive playmaker from day one. I think we've seen recently that when it comes to NFL draft talent evaluation, it's defensive backs who are most likely to be properly evaluated and most likely to come in and play well right away. Go get a winner.

NBP81 and josephreese like this.
  17. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Gratuitous bump. For anyone who missed this over the weekend it's an opportunity to align with the nearly 75% who are uninformed know-nothings, the nearly 7% of self-professed experts who essentially believe that...or the existing approximate 20% who I guess aren't quite as dumb enough to believe in Tannehill but not smart enough label him a failure.

Either way, the polls are still open.

CedarPhin likes this.
  18. Stills&Landry

Stills&Landry A True Fan

I believe in Tannehill but more than that, I believe in our offensive scheme and I think one out of Tannehill, Fales and a 6th-7th rd pick would be viable to hold the fort until 2020 when a rookie QB could arrive into a better situation with two more off seasons of team and staff building.

I also would like to keep Gase and Grier going forward. I don't hate Tannenbaum as much as others. I just think he's not necessary. A Dawn Aponte type accountant with no say on player selection but contract structuring would do.

A mere bean counter.

I wouldn't mind getting to a point where the supporting cast vastly outperforms Tannehill and THEN getting a QB. Kinda like Bortles and the Jags.

Ray R and kevphin like this.
  19. allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

I believe if you draft or get him some guys on the o line you will see what RT is capable of

Ray R likes this.
  20. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

I am concerned about thill17.he have not done any thing in NFL to be starter without competition.. this year 7. He should start this yr. Just like Smith from KC. To me we have avg team. 6 to 8 win team. Fighting for second,third and last place in afc east. The pace we going. We will be looking for our next coach by 2020.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  21. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

6 wins with Cutler, a league leader in penalties, better? coaches next year, rookies now experienced (fewer missed assignments) and you project 6-8?

Ray R likes this.
  22. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

We better get insurance in case Ryan's knee gets re injured. I expect Tannehill to come back strong but either way we need to draft a QB, the question is when. If your guy is there at 11, go get him, otherwise find the best day 2 QB available.

39wildman and Ray R like this.
  23. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

Yes or they show me o
    Yes or else they show me different. I could be wrong. They need better front office, coaching and playing smart

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  24. BlueUndertow

BlueUndertow Well-Known Member

Tannehill is a mid-average qb in the league. That by itself isnt bad because thats better than nearly all the people in the world playing quarterback,

The problem is, it isn't enough. While a team *can* win or go to the Superbowl with an average qb, it usually takes a great number of other things falling perfectly into place for it to happen. And even then it doesn't repeat. Its once in a lifetime kind of deal (unless you're Eli Manning).

You want to be in contention every year and Tannehill isn't good enough to get you there where you say "any team with him has a shot"

My advice, keep looking. Odds are stacked against you finding that guy but if you dont try, it'll never happen.

25. Blake the great

Blake the great A True Fan

The skins have acknowledged that Cousins is nothing special, a good QB but nothing special. Many NFL fans would argue that Cousins is better than Tannehill. We have to at least draft a QB somewhere between rounds 3-5. Tannehill is good but like Cousins isn't good enough to consistently win. I know the majority of teams in championship games this weekend don't have star QBs but let's be honest wentz won enough before he got hurt for eagles to get by. Had he got hurt in week 8 or 9. I doubt they are playing this weekend. And everyone needs to understand that these defenses are much more difficult to build and be able to sustain that type of defense.

26. Digital

Digital Starter Finheaven VIP

I'm confident of Tannehill, but I disagree with your poll options honestly. I do not think we need to draft another QB, but since we're probably moving on from Matt Moore this offseason (lack of confidence in him undermines him within the team), probably means we will.

But, your suggestion that we either draft a QB or we draft for need is where there is a bit of a disconnect. Next time, don't phrase it that way ... just say draft another QB or not. Because, we're in position this year to draft mostly Best Player Available ("BPA"), with the exception of OL and TE, where we need to draft people specifically.

27. Lilseb93

Lilseb93 This Is My House

I don't like the poll options because I think we need to draft a QB to back up Tannehill. That doesn't mean I feel iffy on him or think he won't comeback healthy. If he's healthy and ready, he's my guy. But if he gets hurt again we can't roll with Moore and Fales.

Ray R likes this.
  28. Yessir

Yessir Dolfan for Life Donator

Zero confidence in him. He lacks the instincts. He still today lacks a true identity as a quarterback, and he’s not an assertive enough player on a consistent basis.

I want an alpha with hall of fame level ability at the most important position in the game. I don’t want just a guy.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  29. FinfanInBuffalo

FinfanInBuffalo Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

Eagles, Vikings, Jaguars - two made the conf championship with backup QBs and one made it with a QB that should be a backup.

30. FinfanInBuffalo

Miami had that for 17 years. How'd it work out? Football is a TEAM game. Dolphins fans shouldn't be too dense to realize that.

31. Adam Strange

Adam Strange Question Authority Finheaven VIP

A hell of a lot better than anything since— and it’s not even close.

Martel13 and Yessir like this.
  32. Beach Bum 91

Beach Bum 91 Water Boy

I always go with "C", which this time is: Believe in Tannehill -but not confident in complete recovery- draft a top tier QB in case. Did I pass? ;-)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Ray R likes this.
  33. Yessir

Yessir Dolfan for Life Donator

Uhhhh it worked out just fine. Career record 155-103 as a starter. 11 post-season berths out of his 17 seasons, including a Super Bowl appearance. This all despite never truly having a complete team.

And most importantly, we were entertained (this is what pro sports are - entertainment), watching the individual brilliance of an all-time great every Sunday.

What do we get watching Tannehill? LOL

34. FinfanInBuffalo

Marino had his most complete team early in his career (especially the defense with the hold over effect of Bill Arnsparger). The team went 7-2, 14-2, and 12-4 with one SB appearance with Marino at QB. After that, the defense went downhill and Marino led teams went 8-8, 7-5, 6-10, 8-8. A sub 0.500 record during the prime seasons of the greatest QB of all time. The rest of his career alternated between okay and sub-par season, with the GREATEST QB OF ALL TIME.

I simply cannot understand how a DOLPHINS FAN can fail to grasp such a simple point.

GothicPhin likes this.
  35. FinfanInBuffalo

Sure, if you're satisfied with never getting the ring. Go ahead and settle, I want my TEAM to be complete so that we can win the SB.

GothicPhin likes this.
  36. JamesBW43

This year yes. Do you think they will stay contenders for a while? Top defenses get teams far but they are hard to maintain.

37. JamesBW43

Because the game today is not the same as when Marino played.

38. Blake the great

Blake the great A True Fan

First off, I highly doubt Eagles make it to the superbowl if Wentz goes down in week 9. Wentz and the eagles pretty much locked up everything prior to Foles stepping in.

Secondly, It should be obvious that this year was more of a nominally that those teams made it as far as they did with the QB's they have. I agree that it is a team game, but it so much more difficult to build and keep a defense like that together.

You said that you want to actually win a superbowl, well history has shown us that majority of the time, if you want to win a superbowl you have to have an above average QB to win it all. And usually before a team wins a superbowl they have several playoff appearances prior to winning a superbowl. Teams we consistently make the playoffs have top tier QB's. And the ones that don't, don't win superbowls (Most of the time). It increases a team's chance of winning a superbowl with a top tier QB. Chiefs and Bengals have made the playoffs several times but struggled to make it to the superbowl. Is it because Alex Smith and Andy Dalton aren't top tier?

Joe Flacco won a superbowl a few years ago, I understand he isn't top tier but in the playoffs, he has played like a top tier QB same with Eli Manning. So my point is, relying solely on building a great team around a average starting QB is going to be much more difficult to sustain success over a period of time.

So I feel like you contradict yourself a little when you say " you don't want to settle and want to win a superbowl" - and just because we want to upgrade the QB position doesn't mean we wont continue to build a great team. Having a top notch QB just increases our chances of winning a superbowl.

39. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Its up to Gase to see what he can do with RT. RT was lost the first 4 games last year the lights went on Jay Ajayi started running the ball and good things to happen. Year and a half off and only 9 or so complete games in the system expect some rust.

40. tcdrover

tcdrover Pro Bowler

He didn't do enough BEFORE the 1st knee injury to keep that job IMHO.

I would draft a qb in the first 2 days of the draft and another one in the later rounds.

Start RT this year, but also start to groom a new starter for 2019.

If RT shows out, then we have a good problem.