Poll: Wanny of Saban | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Poll: Wanny of Saban

Wanny or Saban

• Saban, I like the direction this team is headed in

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Wanny- I'll take honor and integrity over "skill"

Votes: 29 74.4%

• Total voters
Excellent point. He was a stand up guy. EMO just doesn't get it.

Great guy, horrible coach. If kindness, if empathy with players and an ability to connect with people translated into smart football decisions, then Wanny would have won 5 championships with us. Not the same as building a winning team for a decade.

I'm not particularly concerned about their characters or personal qualities. The purpose of being an NFL coach is to win a championship. Wanny came to us after having wrecked the Bears with bad personnel decisions. He made equally bad personnel decisions here, so he didn't have the horses to win, as a result of which he coached scared. Didn't have a clue how to win. Saban came as a top college football guru and Belichick disciple who hadn't failed anywhere else, but promptly made equally bad personnel decisions after he got here. Didn't have the horses. By the end of the season he was coaching scared too; just like Wanny. Didn't have a clue either. All the college success and brains didn't amount to a hill of beans.

Clearly, the Saban experiment was a failure. But the overall point is: How great a coach you are is dictated by your personnel. Regardless of what you think of Mularkey, he would have called a lot better plays if he had the people who could run them. He didn't, so he ran the plays he felt safe with calling. Coaching scared, because of the personnel. Again.

I say promote Capers to head coach, and bring in a good offensive coordinator. Trim Saban's bloated coaching staff. But for Pete's sake don't give the head coaches the personnel function; bring in a personnel guy who knows how to run that. And accept the fact that there's no quick way to rebuild this franchise. We have to acquire the horses, and that can't be done in one or two seasons. Saban saw it, and he does have brains. It was just too big a job for him; it would take too long. He saw tha, he's gone, and he's cashed in, before his rep was irretrievably tarnished.

Doesn't matter. Any other good coach can do it if he and we are willing to pay the long-term dues.

atleast Wanny got us into the playoffs and we won a division title, more than i can say for Saban.....not one single issue/problem has been fixed in the last 2 years, not a glimmer of hope for next year

Wanny was a bad drafter and was too stubborn in sticking with Jay Fiedler. Wanny had good character but was a bad coach. Saban was formerly a good coach and has bad character. When Wanny left, it was because he knew he was hurting the team. When Saban left, it was for a whole other and less honorable reason.

and the sad thing is fielder wasstill the best qbs weve had since marino a wanny by-product

They're equally bad in that they were obviously not the people to run this team. Now, if you took Saban's talent and Wanny's loyalty, you might have something.

Didn't care for Wanny as a head coach but I do have more respect him now.

Wanny inherited better talent then Saban but even though that's the case he was/is a better NFL coach then Saban and had some success here. He might not have taken this team to the promise land and he may not have left under the best circumstances but he had more success in Miami then Saban therefore I think his era over Saban's short 2 year run!

Back
Top Bottom