POLL: What are RGIII and Barkley's chances on being a franchise QB | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

POLL: What are RGIII and Barkley's chances on being a franchise QB

Chances of being a franchise QB?

• Barkley 100%

Votes: 17 13.1%
  • Barkley 80%

Votes: 50 38.5%
  • Barkley 50/50

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Barkley no chance in hell

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • RGIII 100%

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • RGIII 80

Votes: 16 12.3%
  • RGIII 50/50

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • RGIII no chance in hell

Votes: 5 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't really like Robert Griffin. I've explained why many times. I feel like his concussion yesterday against Texas Tech is no coincidence, nor is his leg injury that caused him to miss a year. He's a rough and tumble guy that doesn't see the field well or operate well from inside the pocket and so you've got to run him and get him out of the pocket where he takes shot after shot after shot, and on his frame his body can't take it. You often see him fading in the 4th quarter because of the shots he's taken. You see him slow to get up all the time. It's scary. He might be 6'1" or 6'2" but it's not a solid 6'1" or 6'2" and his instincts don't match up to be the kind of guy that can be that size and get away with it because he's not getting hit.

Then you look at his pocket mechanics which are not at all natural or quick, they're creaky in the extreme, you can practically hear the gears squeaking and hydraulics releasing when you watch him operate back there. You could read a Tolstoy novel waiting for the ball to get out once he begins his delivery. His feet are way too wide in his stance, like a runner not a quarterback. That was a big difference between he and Cam Newton. Newton always had a passer's stance, stood real tall, surveying the field, maximizing his height and relying on his sudden explosion when he felt pressure. Griffin has this wide stance which minimizes his already questionable 6'1" or 6'2" frame. He does NOT see the field from inside the pocket at that height and with those mechanics.

He's a product of the system right now. Look at what Nick Florence did once Griffin got concussed. He came in there and led 35 points in the 2nd half, actually outperforming what Griffin did in the 1st half. They have very fast receivers and a nice wide open run-option system which creates these wide open windows. Kendall Wright is a superb receiver prospect.

If I thought he was trash I wouldn't draft him period, but that's not what I think. I'd draft him in the 3rd round based on his inherent, natural accuracy and sense of timing, as well as his ability to make something happen when the play is extended. I mean, you look at the play he made to end the Oklahoma game, that was RIDICULOUS. That throw, the idea he had to throw it where he threw it, letting the receiver make the adjustment...it was superb. You love that. But there's WAY too much getting in his way and he doesn't have the ridiculous physical qualities that people think he does. The pace he gets on the ball is inconsistent. He's fast but I wouldn't call him elusive, not the way I would call a Cam Newton elusive. He's short and skinny and takes a physical pounding, and can't really dish one out.

If you've got these creaky, ridiculous mechanics, coming from an offense that has very little translation to the NFL, you had better have enormous physical passing potential. Cam Newton was a rarity that way. I was not in any way naturally inclined to like a Cam Newton. If I was, I would have also loved Colin Kaepernick, but I didn't. Newton broke the mold. Robert Griffin does not. He's more of a Dennis Dixon, for me, or a shorter Colin Kaepernick.

On the other hand, I think Matt Barkley is a franchise quarterback. He's got the arm strength necessary to make all the throws. His mechanics are beyond reproach, and they lead to consistent accuracy and probably the best ball placement I've graded in a long time outside of Andrew Luck. He handles pressure very well and is getting better with each game which is kind of scary. He throws on the run very accurately because he's able to keep his balance and shoulders square, and use good leverage and mechanics. He can operate a number of offensive concepts without a problem and is able to see the defense after the snap. He's developed a reputation for being slow footed but he's actually getting quicker and more physically fit as he's gone on in his career, and you're seeing it on the field. You see what he did against Colorado rolling out to his right, or what he did just last night on the fake field goal. He's got great intangibles.

RGIII got injured off a illegal hit when he had already slid and a player came in and threw a forearm into his helmet causing him to get a concussion. He did what you want your QB to do and slide. It could happen to anybody. QBs are going to scramble in the NFL away from pressure. Even as uncoordinated and slow Rivers is, he scrambles and he slides.

I've been impressed with RGIII pocket presence. He has a great sense of when the pocket is collapsing, and he can stand within the pocket as well and throw the ball. He goes through is progressions, and throws the ball well. His Mechanics may be a bit off, but hes very accurate throwing down-field. Not to mention he has had MANY big 4th quarters this season, including that big time comeback against Kansas I believe it was, than that big 4th against TCU, and not to mention the big 4th against the Sooners.

I will agree with you that it is alarming the backup QB can come in and have that much success, but throughout the season I have been impressed with what RGIII has done on a consistent basis night in and night out.

Not to mention, I think he showed toughness when he came back in the next play and ran it in for a TD.

Comparing players based on the jersey they wear should be banned.

By logic, our future quarterback should be Zach Maynard, he's the starter where Aaron Rodgers played quarterback.

Wait, better yet, let's just wait for Tino Sunseri. He starts at the same college where Dan Marino went!

But wait, Tom Brady and Chad Henne both went to Michigan, and they're not the same player.

Nah man. Barkley is gonna be a party animal who hurts his elbow and lacks mental toughness because hes from USC. Hes going to be practically a melting pot of everything wrong with every over USC QB because every USC QB is apparently biologically the same. Thats what Im told anyway.

well as long as he isn't a druggie like Marinovich, I'll let the other flaws slide.

Even still, with Palmer, since he has started getting comfy in Oakland, he's performing well. Really, all they ask him to do is throw deep to his speedy WRs.

Leinart and Sanchez not only had attitude problems, but they ended up going to systems that they didn't fit. If Leinart didn't piss off Wisenhunt beyond any hope of repairing their relationship, I think he becomes a solid QB for Arizona. And as Sanchez showed today, there IS ability with him. But he is not a fit for Little Schotty's offense. As they pointed out during the game today, he doesn't see the slow developing plays. If a read is not their right away, he won't wait for it.

i think ck's analysis on griffen is spot on...i'm in total agreement...a dennis dixon or a shorter kaepernick...you can see resemblences in his game with both...and i agree with the 3rd round grade

this draft at qb is all about luck and barkley...and there will be plenty of competition for both...these guys are franchise qb material...

i think ck's analysis on griffen is spot on...i'm in total agreement...a dennis dixon or a shorter kaepernick...you can see resemblences in his game with both...and i agree with the 3rd round grade

this draft at qb is all about luck and barkley...and there will be plenty of competition for both...these guys are franchise qb material...

And Barkley, to me at least, seems to be closing the gap every week. The guy finished his season very strong.

Back
Top Bottom