Poll: Would you Give a 1st & 3rd for Miles Austin? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Poll: Would you Give a 1st & 3rd for Miles Austin?

Would you give up a 1st & 3rd Round Pick for Miles Austin

• Total voters
Man, I thought we finally had a poll that would show 100% in agreement. Guess not.

I would consider the 3rd by itself and that still may be a risk. No way to both.

Too many holes on this team to give up such high picks for 1 player. our 1st (#12) by itself is diff lmao!

I would second that!! Wow, an overwhelming NO of 100% so far. I honestly thought there would be some Yes responses given all the talk of how we need a #1 WR!

imo i would rather give a 1st and a 3rd for marshall which is to much so theres noway i would give a 1st and 3rd for austin i would give a 2nd for marshall and maybe a 3rd this year and a 3rd next year making it a 2nd if austin played like he did this year but noway would i give a 1st and 3rd for him this year :rolleyes2:

With the news that Dallas will not Franchise Miles Austin, ESPN Insider is even saying that outside of Dez Bryant there is no other WR in the draft that even comes clost to Miles Austin's ability. They even speculate that Miami could be a potential landing spot. So the question to you is this: Would you give up a 1st and 3rd Round pick to sign Miles Austin. A Poison Pill could be put into the contract to prevent the Cowboys from matching but would you want to? Keep in mind that Miles Austin is only 25 years old and was an original Bill Parcells guy! I am torn on this one. I do not think I would do it but thought I would get your thoughts. This should be a good debate IMO! Good Offseaon topic to wager in on.

Here is the ESPN Insider Article!

Would Dolphins get in on Austin?

1:32PM ET
Miles Austin | Cowboys

Top Email

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10147Miles Austin is a restricted free agent, and we know owner Jerry Jones wants to keep him. So http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=dalDallas Cowboys will likely put a tender offer worth $3.168 million on Austin. They will not put the franchise tag on him; they will probably not sign him to a long-term deal.
So if another team wants to jump in, they can try to nab the receiver with a bigger offer -- one the Cowboys can match. However, if the 'Boys don't match it, the other team would give up a first- and third-round pick as compensation.
OK, so chances are slim that Austin's going anywhere, and team VP Stephen Jones knows it: "How many times have seen another team give up a one and a three?" he told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
But here is a 25-year-old franchise receiver, and outside of Dez Bryant, this year's draft prospects may not have the kind of ability Austin brings to the table. The Star-Telegram's Clarence Hill think another team might jump into the mix: "The strategy seems tenuous considering Austin's sensational season and the number of teams, including the Miami Dolphins and former Cowboys coach Bill Parcells, looking for a No. 1 receiver."

If the Phins only needed a WR to get deep in the playoffs then yes. Since that isn't the case, no. The team needs to keep the picks they have (especially the high ones) in order to put more talent on this roster.

Nearly everyone here wants to use a first on Dez Bryant, but doesn't want to use a 1 and 3 on a proven stud? If you trade the 1 and 3 on Austin, that position is taken care of for a decade. No question. Dez Bryant, like any other college WR, is a maybe. And if we traded, we would still have all the other picks plus all the FA money for LBs

Last edited by a moderator:
Nearly everyone here wants to use a first on Dez Bryant, but doesn't want to use a 1 and 3 on a proven stud? If you trade the 1 and 3 on Austin, that position is taken care of for a decade. No question. Dez Bryant, like any other college WR, is a maybe. And we would still have all the other picks plus all the FA money for LBs

We're talking about a capless year, here. Roger Goodell may frown upon the poison pill tactics taken a few years ago, even to the point where he'd drag two guys into a room and hit them on the head with a tack hammer until they agree to a trade (which is basically what he did with Pioli and Mueller over the Welker trade back in 2007 if I'm not mistaken), but the bottom line is if Miles Austin wants to be here and agrees to the tactic, Miami could insert a clause that says that if he plays more than three games in the state of Texas over the course of a year then his contract goes fully guaranteed, something to that effect. That loophole was never closed, just squeezed.

And yeah, we're talking about Dez Bryant for a #12, well Dez hardly even played football in 2009 where Miles Austin has some years under his belt getting good quality NFL coaching and learning under some good players, and he just caught for 1355 yards and 11 TDs in the 14 games he was finally allowed to start. And he didn't come from "nowhere". Before those 14 games, he was averaging 18.9 yards per catch.

The guy had established receivers in front of him. Terrell Owens, Patrick Crayton, Terry Glenn, Roy Williams. Sometimes you have to take a back seat until you get your shot and it's all about what you do with your shot and let me tell you the guy did more than most ever accomplish in a year.

Yeah maybe he did have Jason Witten taking some attention. But Roy Williams has been terrible in Dallas, so I don't buy that, and the offensive line this year was getting Tony Romo killed.

And you know what's even better? He's a nice guy! People want Brandon Marshall, my god. That dude is trying his hardest to be the next Terrell Owens. Miles Austin just sits back, works hard, does what the coaches tell him to do, catches for 18.9 yards per reception with 4 TDs on 23 catches, averages 24.1 yards per kick return on 89 returns, and then in the first 14 games he's allowed to start he gets 1355 yards and 11 TDs. He even showed up for and helped the team win that first playoff game against Philadelphia. Bonus.

The guy does everything right and people are nipple twisting and clamoring for Brandon Marshall. Yeesh.

We're talking about a capless year, here. Roger Goodell may frown upon the poison pill tactics taken a few years ago, even to the point where he'd drag two guys into a room and hit them on the head with a tack hammer until they agree to a trade (which is basically what he did with Pioli and Mueller over the Welker trade back in 2007 if I'm not mistaken), but the bottom line is if Miles Austin wants to be here and agrees to the tactic, Miami could insert a clause that says that if he plays more than three games in the state of Texas over the course of a year then his contract goes fully guaranteed, something to that effect. That loophole was never closed, just squeezed.

And yeah, we're talking about Dez Bryant for a #12, well Dez hardly even played football in 2009 where Miles Austin has some years under his belt getting good quality NFL coaching and learning under some good players, and he just caught for 1355 yards and 11 TDs in the 14 games he was finally allowed to start. And he didn't come from "nowhere". Before those 14 games, he was averaging 18.9 yards per catch.

The guy had established receivers in front of him. Terrell Owens, Patrick Crayton, Terry Glenn, Roy Williams. Sometimes you have to take a back seat until you get your shot and it's all about what you do with your shot and let me tell you the guy did more than most ever accomplish in a year.

Yeah maybe he did have Jason Witten taking some attention. But Roy Williams has been terrible in Dallas, so I don't buy that, and the offensive line this year was getting Tony Romo killed.

And you know what's even better? He's a nice guy! People want Brandon Marshall, my god. That dude is trying his hardest to be the next Terrell Owens. Miles Austin just sits back, works hard, does what the coaches tell him to do, catches for 18.9 yards per reception with 4 TDs on 23 catches, averages 24.1 yards per kick return on 89 returns, and then in the first 14 games he's allowed to start he gets 1355 yards and 11 TDs. He even showed up for and helped the team win that first playoff game against Philadelphia. Bonus.
Exactly. Ill gladly chip in the 3 for a proven #1 over taking my chances on some guy in the 1st.

I can see why the FO would be hesitant. We have huge holes at LB and NT that we need to try fill. But if we don't spend money on a Antonio Bryant in FA, we can afford to sign Dansby and another good player.

Id pull the trigger on the deal for a 1 and 3, but it looks like we're in the 5% minority on it :lol:

There have been plenty of WR's in the NFL with one good season and then did basically nothing after that. There have been a lot more great college WR's who did nothing in the NFL too though but my point is there is a risk with both. Now would I take Miles Austin over Dez Bryant right now.... Yes but when you're adding a 3rd too it makes it even if anything IMO(even though we haven't had any luck with 3rd round picks). You Could end up with a great WR and another good player with that 3rd rounder. Hell people are saying Boldin could be acquired for a 3rd so if you look at it that way would you rather have Anquan Boldin who is far more proven than Austin And Dez Bryant or McClain, Graham, Thomas, Griffin etc? I think a lot of people overvalue draft picks here but not when you're talking about giving up multiple picks for one player... especially one that has only had one good season in 4 years.

Id definitely do it! If we get Dez Bryant, were still giving up a 1st... which would be a huge risk drafting a receiver in the 1st round, just ask the Lions.. and using a 3rd on a receiver is even less probable that we'll find our go to guy.
Do it!

I would but isn't Jerry Jones a bizzillionare? They could match anything.

Back
Top Bottom