Poll: Would you Give a 1st & 3rd for Miles Austin? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Poll: Would you Give a 1st & 3rd for Miles Austin?

Would you give up a 1st & 3rd Round Pick for Miles Austin

• Total voters

putter1013

Active Roster
Reaction score
Would you Give a 1st & 3rd for Miles Austin?

With the news that Dallas will not Franchise Miles Austin, ESPN Insider is even saying that outside of Dez Bryant there is no other WR in the draft that even comes clost to Miles Austin's ability. They even speculate that Miami could be a potential landing spot. So the question to you is this: Would you give up a 1st and 3rd Round pick to sign Miles Austin. A Poison Pill could be put into the contract to prevent the Cowboys from matching but would you want to? Keep in mind that Miles Austin is only 25 years old and was an original Bill Parcells guy! I am torn on this one. I do not think I would do it but thought I would get your thoughts. This should be a good debate IMO! Good Offseaon topic to wager in on.

Here is the ESPN Insider Article!

Would Dolphins get in on Austin?

1:32PM ET
Miles Austin | Cowboys

Top Email

[URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10147"]Miles Austin[/URL] is a restricted free agent, and we know owner Jerry Jones wants to keep him. So [URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=dal"]Dallas Cowboys[/URL] will likely put a tender offer worth $3.168 million on Austin. They will not put the franchise tag on him; they will probably not sign him to a long-term deal.
So if another team wants to jump in, they can try to nab the receiver with a bigger offer -- one the Cowboys can match. However, if the 'Boys don't match it, the other team would give up a first- and third-round pick as compensation.
OK, so chances are slim that Austin's going anywhere, and team VP Stephen Jones knows it: "How many times have seen another team give up a one and a three?" he told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
But here is a 25-year-old franchise receiver, and outside of Dez Bryant, this year's draft prospects may not have the kind of ability Austin brings to the table. The Star-Telegram's Clarence Hill think another team might jump into the mix: "The strategy seems tenuous considering Austin's sensational season and the number of teams, including the Miami Dolphins and former Cowboys coach Bill Parcells, looking for a No. 1 receiver."

If our pick was #29, not at 12!

That is what I was thinking as well. I can't fathom giving up the #12 Pick & a 3rd Rounder for Austin. IMO we are more than a #1 WR away from being legit contenders so draft picks will be crucial to build our team!

What kind of poison pill are you going to put in that Dallas won't be willing to eat in an uncapped year ?

I definitely wouldn't give a 1st and a 3rd. I have seen too many "one hit wonders" in my day.

What kind of poison pill are you going to put in that Dallas won't be willing to eat in an uncapped year ?

100 Million Bonus if he plays 4 or more games is Dallas Stadium??

I doubt they pay that money even if uncapped year!

69453-1.gif

Great receiver last year, but he had Witten and Williams to deflect attention. Giving up a 1st, let alone anything more on the basis of one year's performance with an established QB and a great supporting cast IMO is too risky.

Back
Top Bottom