Pop the champagne!!!! | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pop the champagne!!!!

I always think of it in terms of that four, five year run. At the time undefeated didn't seem like the big deal. It was Miami winning the super bowl.

Over the years, it has actually gained significance as the unbeatens from each year drop off.

Undefeated was amazing. Winning nine games with a 38-year-old backup quarterback at a time when that was ancient in NFL years. Going on the road in the playoffs to beat the Steelers.

But when I think back, its three super bowls in a row, repeating as champions and going 44-6-1 in that stretch. Even the Patriots can't claim something so dominant.

Sandwiched between that three year run Miami went 10-4 in Don Shula's first season and 11-3 in 1974, eventually losing that Sea of Hands classic to the Raiders.

Five years, 65-13-1 overall record.

That playoff loss in 1974 is still the most devastating one for me as it marked the end of the Dolphins dynasty.

So if in 40 years nothing done today matters makes one wonder... Why bother?
Guess Jack and Tiger will be considered chumps by then even if 17 majors and most PGA wins are still holding up in 2059 but personally I still respect what Bobby Jones was to the game 100 years ago just as I respect what the 72 Fins did for the NFL.

It's ridiculous to ignore the accomplishments of the team you root for regardless of when they occur.

You don't have to gush about it, or set up shrines around the house, but enjoy the rich history of your team whether it occurred in 1966, 1976, 1986 or last year.

Outside of a dwindling minority within Dolfandom, no one actively cares about the 72.

Something that happened 40+ years ago in a league that no longer resembles that period, is almost irrelevant.

Not in my opinion. Your club is built on it’s history. Any fan who doesn’t understand their club’s history and the relevance and importance of their past achievements specially the standouts i just don’t get.so you happy to also discount all our previous SB wins let’s say if the win was over 10years ago forget it. This comment and similars are insulting to men who gave all for our club and achieved something no other team has ever managed in the entire history and period of the NFL.

The Man Utd fans still go on about the infamous treble trophy victory in 1999 which no other English club has ever managed. They still sing about it every game 20 years later. So at what point do u suggest the Utd fans ingnore this achievement like you are suggesting with the 72 team....

I can’t understand this attitude. You never forget these achievements. So when you’re 50 and the fins win a SB with an outstanding team, what you gonna say when some youngster says to you ahh it was ages ago don’t care, it doesn’t count .... it’s insulting to the 72 team and a generation of Fins fans who I respect

Sandwiched between that three year run Miami went 10-4 in Don Shula's first season and 11-3 in 1974, eventually losing that Sea of Hands classic to the Raiders.

Five years, 65-13-1 overall record.

That playoff loss in 1974 is still the most devastating one for me as it marked the end of the Dolphins dynasty.

Yeah I’ve watched reruns of that Raiders game man we were so ul

Back
Top Bottom