Portland State RB Rubin | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Portland State RB Rubin

RichmondWeb

Humble FinHeaven Member
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find out what is the status of stand-out Portland State RB Joe Rubin. I don't see him on the combine list. Supposedly he was to start in the Las Vegas Bowl. He is 5'11 230lb. a load! He had 1708 yards and 17 TD's for PSU this year including one game with over 300 yards and 3 TD's. The team would get behind and go into passing mode or he would have had more stats. He can also pass block. He was #5 in college rushing this year and all American 1-AA. With his size he should be good at the next level. Hope he makes it, he's a good kid.

I don't think he was invited to the combine because he's only being considered as a free agent at this time. Yes he is big and put up some very impressive number but two of his biggest drawbacks are his hands and lack of speed (4.7 40).

RichmondWeb said:
I'm trying to find out what is the status of stand-out Portland State RB Joe Rubin. I don't see him on the combine list. Supposedly he was to start in the Las Vegas Bowl. He is 5'11 230lb. a load! He had 1708 yards and 17 TD's for PSU this year including one game with over 300 yards and 3 TD's. The team would get behind and go into passing mode or he would have had more stats. He can also pass block. He was #5 in college rushing this year and all American 1-AA. With his size he should be good at the next level. Hope he makes it, he's a good kid.

Yes,all good points. I don't think we'll be taking a running back in the draft or FA. I might be wrong - have been before.

In the 7th round Nick Saban is going to look for the best physical stories out there. He will want guys that are huge, jump high, run fast, etc. If Joe Rubin has a great 40 time to go along with his 230 pound frame, he could be a possibility there.

Iv read about him some, He was good, just from a small school. I think, if we do draft a RB, that means we traded Ricky. I think that would mean we should be looking for a back in the mid rounds, maybe even with the pick from the Ricky deal. I think we should look at Jerome Harrison from WSU. Iv watched this guy play a dozen times. He is quick, can find the holes, and can block very well. His hands are a little questionable, but he would be a great back. Think, we could have Ronnie be our big, pounding back. and Then bring in Harrison on 3rd downs and to change things up a bit. A lttle quick back with alot of speed woulf be a great asset to us. Just an idea. It all comes down to what we do with Ricky. Also dont forget about Kay-Jay, he could be a great backup too

With Kay-Jay Harris coming off the practice squad from last year, I don't think we need to draft another running back but if we do, I'd like to see us get former LSU Tiger, Joseph Addai. With his quick feet and pass catching ability, he could make an excellent third down back.

Yes, I am in Oregon. I went to several PSU games this year and last year. I was very impressed by Joe, he was like a one man team like Ricky was for Miami a few years ago. I'm not sure Miami will need a guy like Joe either but I would like to see him get a shot somewhere. As I recall, he was pretty good out of the backfield. www.goviks.com seems to imply he has been getting some exposure to some NFL scouts. Portland State has a tough schedule every year as the Big Sky is loaded with playoff teams and PSU also played 2 games in 1-A.

Corrections: He had 345 carries for 1702 yards, was 3rd nationally rushing, 7th in all-purpose yards, 8th in scoring (9.27 ppg), vs No. Colorado had 356 yds and 5 TDs, and against 1-A Oregon State and Boise St. had 53 carries for 264 yards. He also had 10-100 yd games including 9 in a row.

Thanks for the replies.

RW

NE Portland. Been aqua and orange since Miami vs. Dallas Superbowl. I know lots of Dolphins fans in Portland. Miami rules, what's not to like??? Too bad about Seattle.

From Portland State's Pro Day

Joe Rubin 5-10 7/8 227, didn't help himself by running his 40 in pedestrian times of 4.91 and 4.85.

Back
Top Bottom