position worth the money? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

position worth the money?

ASUFinFan

I gotta stop her from doing that
Reaction score
See, this is what I dont understand. To me, a RB is nowhere near worth the money that they would be given for being taken at #2. We can draft a running back in the 3rd and pay him basically nothing. If we take a running back at 2 he will make a ton more than ricky ever did here in Miami and theres no way he will be better than ricky was. QB is the only position where they are worth the money. to me if your not goin to take a qb then you have to trade down. I hope we take alex smith because i believe he will be extremely productive in linehans offence! draft fason or arrington in the later rounds and ill go crazy!

this has been said by Saban numerous times. That is why you hear so much talk about him picking a QB or possibly a WR. Because he feels that the value just isnt there in a RB.

yah i kno which why alex smith has got to be selected, if not braylon edwards. i really believe that saban actually does want smith and theres no smokescreen. he wants to begin his tenure with his qb he handpicked

PhinsPhan said:
this has been said by Saban numerous times. That is why you hear so much talk about him picking a QB or possibly a WR. Because he feels that the value just isnt there in a RB.

saban has also said the odds aren't good on first round QB's. to be fair to both sides...

he said 30 percent, but id sure hope that if i was a professional scout and that was all i did throughout my life that i would have a better percentage than that.

im dating a grl now from chico and her dad is the mayor of chico...we have been talkin about rodgers becuase she is friends with him and partys with him when shes back home. she does not think hes gonna make it in the NFL and didnt think he was ever that good.

ASUFinFan said:
he said 30 percent, but id sure hope that if i was a professional scout and that was all i did throughout my life that i would have a better percentage than that.

true, but remember, saban isn't speaking from the point of view of a fan or a casual observer. football is what he does, and that's what he said.

i am not saying that to start trouble. i don't even necessarily think he has to be smokescreening (although it's not a bad idea). there is so much more spotlight on coaches and players these days with all the 24 hour sports news going around that people are going to appear to contradict themselves due to all the questions they are constantly asked. the answers could even depend on saban's mood at that particular time. the more i think i know, the less i know. or something...

i'd be wary of pinning my hopes on deciphering what saban has/hasn't said. look at it this way: everything you want to happen has a 50% chance of happening. either it will happen or it won't. 50/50.

as for the money issue of the post: i am not sure i'd find any of these players worth paying #2 money.

i'll base my opinion (hypocritically?) on a saban quote: "do you see a julius peppers?"

there really needs to be a cap on what draft picks get paid like in the NBA... its ridiculous that these players come in as unproven yet get paid like NFL vets...

it honestly doesnt make sense, how many jobs out there do you get paid even a dime before you work let alone millions. earn your money DAM*IT! This is another reason why I think so many qbs are flops when they get picked high. they have nothing really to prove, theve got more garanteeed money then they kno what to do with. its the qbs like brady who are pissed where they got drafted and wanna show the world their skills

What I can't figure is that in the NFL certain positions are paid more then others and rightfully so, a QB is going to make more then a OL, but when it comes to the draft the #1 pick is going to get aprox the same contract regardless if he is a QB or OL, how can that be right?

If the #1 pick is a QB he should be paid like a QB, if it happens to be an OL then he should be paid like an OL, it really shouldn't have anything to do with the pick. So a team should be penalized if they don't need a QB but really need an O lineman.

Yes you can say trade down, but what if there isn't a trade down partner, now you are stuck overpaying for a position that doesn't really warrant that kind of contract.

I don't get it. Marshall Faulk and Jamal Lewis win Super bowls with Kurt Warner & Trent Dilfer at QB.

Yet everyone talks about how a RB isn't worth the value of a #2 pick. WHY NOT!?

So we should draft a QB because it makes more sense to pay them more money? I just don't understand the logic. Rogers and Smith weren't even considered the top QB until Lienhart backed out. Hell, Smith went from a 2nd-4th round gimmic QB to the possible #1 pick in the draft?

Look at the Bronocs. Elway went to the S.B 4 times and couldn't win it. but he gets a 2,000 yd back in Terell Davis and BOOM! The wins finally come.

Why is it that everyone wants to pay QBs the big money and think it's justified but when it comes to the RB it's not!?

For the life of me I just don't understand....

a pro bowl qb will stick with the team alot longer than a running back will. running game is important for success, we all know that because marino never had one and never went anywhere. but last years playoffs all had top tier qb's and with linehan now our o cord. the qb is more important in his offences than the rb's. we might use a combination of backs.

the QB should be the highest payed player on any team if he is good enough, a QB does the most for the team out of any player on the team, he touches the ball on every offensive snap and holds blame for things gone wrong for the offense and therefore a QB should always (there are some exceptions) be the first overall player taken in every draft, the few exceptions are if there simply isn't a QB good enough to go that high, if there is another player at any other position who is extremely talented and is a can't miss player, or if the team simply has a good QB and does not have a need to draft a QB that high. Otherwise a QB should always be the first player overall taken in the draft

Back
Top Bottom