Positives from panthers game!!!!! | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Positives from panthers game!!!!!

I don’t think the offense can be consistent with that line in front of Tua..

I also don’t think we have enough weapons once good defenses clamp down on waddle..

He does have a unique ability to separate so that helps regardless of bracket coverage or double teaming him.

The one thing that is missing from Tua at this point is his ability to recognize when to run..

Fitz showed him up close how to do it and when and man was it effective but Tua hasn’t figured that it out yet, I keep waiting to see the awareness but it’s not there..

I respect your post..

Agree about the line and receivers. No team fears MIA's run game. Double Waddle/Gesicki and force Hollins/Ford beat them. A good D can do that. That's why I'm looking forward to DVP.

Not trying to throw shade at our impressive win. But, good teams win ugly ..... they win the close games .... they're consistently effective even when the players have a bad game. We've been laughably bad ........ and then impressive. This is not new. It is the same cycle in each of Coach Flo's seasons. Even when we were playing quite well, we faced a well-playing Buffalo and were horribly exposed.

Our defense couldn't dictate game play and we were routed .... as happens a lot. Our defense is not consistent .... just potentially good with nice stretches in the 50 to 80 portion of the season. Come game week 15-18 will we be good enough to nail down a playoff spot? Will we be able to keep this defense dominating good teams in the playoffs? I don't think so. Not sure I've seen real evidence of it so far at least. Even if we can keep our stars like X healthy for a playoff push (a big 'if'), then we're at the mercy of our defense to dominate ... because Tua's _still_ afraid to throw the intermediate passes.

Even the big play to Jalen Waddle only traveled 14 yards past the line of scrimmage in the air. Yep, 14 yards .... didn't even make the marker for an intermediate pass. Sure, Waddle is electric, and he _finally_ broke one long ... but that doesn't mean defenses need to fear our deep or even intermediate game. When good defenses clamp down .... we'll fold. IMHO, this team is not built for success offensively ...... and at the very least we can agree that it is not built for success yet. As you are, I'm hoping we can get this offense to the point where it can challenge against quality defenses. I'm hoping Tua can grow to challenge more of the field and open up the field for our RB's to do more than just change of pace stuff. I'm hoping we can establish an OL that allows Tua to throw deeper routes so we can take advantage of the skills of Parker (jump balls on the deep sidelines) and Gesicki (devastating seam routes), and the type of offense that punishes defenses who choose to lock down our short passing routes and overload the line of scrimmage. But .... at least so far .... we have no real evidence that this coaching staff can do that, even with massive investment in the offense in terms of draft picks and the endless churn of FA's.

I want to believe ... but when I analyze the data ... it doesn't add up. We've gained and spent a king's ransom of draft picks .... yet our roster is no more talented today than it was when we had the majestic Cam Wake walking our sidelines. This was supposed to be the birth of a dynasty of new talent that justified the horrible tanking and brutal rebuilding. Arguably, our best talent from that haul--Minkah Fitzpatrick and Laremy Tunsil--were both let go. Help me see how this is working .... because you always have a good eye for the positives, and I'm hoping I'm just missing them. I'm hoping we're on the cusp of dramatic and sustained improvement. I'm hoping we're going to see the vision promised when we brought in Coach Flo and the latest iteration of the Belichick coaching tree franchises around the NFL.
Good post.

I would just point out the following about Minkah & Tunsil:

Minkah asked to leave, complained bitterly about how he was played while he was here and asked to be traded. That's a lot different than just being let go.

Then he was played the same way by the team that got him without complaining about it; generating some pretty good stats over the span of a couple of seasons. Maybe we just "broke him in" for the Steelers.

I wonder what the real basis of his complaint with Miami was, because it apparently was not how he was played, based on his performance with the Steelers.

We got lucky with being able to draft Tunsil where we did.
Didn't we start him as a guard?
I wasn't "awed" by his initial play on our team.
That's OK - rookies do take time to develop.

I thought the Tunsil trade made a lot of sense at the time, in terms of expanding our number of draft picks enormously at the beginning of a rebuild.

The OC is starting to put players in a position to succeed. Preston Williams had three very good reps with two dominant blocks in the running game and a reception for a 1st from the pistol running position. A block that added 4 extra yards, a 3rd down conversion, and a key block on the 1st wildcat touchdown. I will take that production.

The OC is starting to put players in a position to succeed. Preston Williams had three very good reps with two dominant blocks in the running game and a reception for a 1st from the pistol running position. A block that added 4 extra yards, a 3rd down conversion, and a key block on the 1st wildcat touchdown. I will take that production.

And the TEs actually chip blocked at times

Good post.

I would just point out the following about Minkah & Tunsil:

Minkah asked to leave, complained bitterly about how he was played while he was here and asked to be traded. That's a lot different than just being let go.

Then he was played the same way by the team that got him without complaining about it; generating some pretty good stats over the span of a couple of seasons. Maybe we just "broke him in" for the Steelers.

I wonder what the real basis of his complaint with Miami was, because it apparently was not how he was played, based on his performance with the Steelers.

We got lucky with being able to draft Tunsil where we did.
Didn't we start him as a guard?
I wasn't "awed" by his initial play on our team.
That's OK - rookies do take time to develop.

I thought the Tunsil trade made a lot of sense at the time, in terms of expanding our number of draft picks enormously at the beginning of a rebuild.
Both excellent points about Minkah and Leremy.

I think we started him as a guard to ease him in while we had a good LT in Brandon Albert. Rookies take time, and he was all-world potential and lacking work ethic, so it was also a kick in the pants while his mentor (Albert) took him under his wing and taught him how to be a professional and a good LT in the NFL.

I agree that the value gotten for Tunsil in terms of picks was excellent. Great job Grier. But .... the value from those picks did not equal the value of the players. The selection of players made with those Tunsil picks was lacking, IMHO. Now, I _love_ Jaelan Phillips as a cornerstone DE for building a defense. Guy is awesome. But ... those total players selected with those draft picks cumulatively are not as valuable as the players we traded away.

Minkah would not have been the first NFL player to demand a trade and not be given it. But in his defense, I was screaming to draft him and play him at FS from well before we drafted him. IMHO, Minkah was right, and Coach Flo was wrong. Coach Flo definitely screwed that one up by not letting him slot into a full time FS role where he had the potential to become an All-Pro at FS .... as I posted numerous times. After Minkah himself, I think I was the most frustrated person about him being used as putty to fill any cracks Coach Flo saw. Let the man dominate .... he'll have a much greater impact on your defense than making him a jack of all trades and master of none.

Mike had a great game today. 4 punts placed inside the 20, 3 inside the 10. First punt led directly to the blocked punt we recovered for our first td. Palardy among league leaders in punts inside the 20 this year. People bring up the 44.5 yard average, but his average is greatly sacrificed by placing the ball inside the 20 and not booting the ball into the endzone to pad his stats. No return yardage was big today too. Sure the haters will hate, but Palardy has been as good as any Dolphin player the last five games.
Hi Mr. Palardy!! How's the Mrs?

Not Mr. Palardy, mental midget. I am just the guy who coached him from 9th grade up until he got signed by Carolina.

You moved around a lot. Ft Lauderdale, Knoxville, Oakland, St Louis, Toronto. . . Now you're in Georgia?
Mike trained in Coral Springs up until he got signed by Carolina. Do some research. Edify. Or keep being ignorant. Your call.

Back
Top Bottom