Positives from today’s game! | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Positives from today’s game!

Yeah. It was pretty devastating in that regard. Not only did we lose to an opponent that we shouldn't lose to if we wanted to be a playoff team, it's that everyone except the Patriots (basically in life support already) and Las Vegas (who we have on our schedule and who played as well as you could against the top team in the league while still losing) won, and in games they shouldn't have either. Oh, and the Ravens, but both them and the Titans had an equal record going in, so it didn't matter. Our last 4 games are an uphill battle and so our playoff chances took an absolutely terrible hit today...especially when our offense was so brutally exposed (defense wasn't great either, but we know we could have won that game with a moderate offensive effort.). That offense was just unwinnable bad...and its something that feels entirely possible could be repeated.

After today we have to confront that playoffs just aren't likely anymore. Possible, of course, but improbable. And it would have been immensely different had we won. That really sucks. Playoffs feel so special to me since I really became a true diehard in 2002, and that was the first of the choke being the rule, and 2008 and 2016 being exceptions that felt like a divine miracle.
We showed that we dont belong in the playoffs. We'd get smoked by any of the teams that make it. We were a goal-line fumble away from being down by 14 pts against a 3-6 Denver team. We're not good.

At the end of the day, this is just one more Dolphins team that Fails Football 101.
Run the ball and stop the run on D. 'F'.
Until Grier can assemble a team that passes Football 101, we're a trash heap.

they figuring out dvp is the only real threat

If they haven’t already

oh well tomorrow’s a new day I’m gonna hope for better line play and that they start playing Calloway more.
I agree on Calloway , I probably lead the forum on Calloway posts haha. I just think he should be starting opposite DVP period. Grant did get open early against Denver but Tua misses him. He missed him last week to on what would have been an unbelievable play. Just agree with you, too small a catch radius. Other than that there was a play that looked to me that Hollins lacks awareness as a WR, Perry is a gadget guy and Bowden can’t even get active in a week WR group.

I think there is a chance we get Gaskin back this week. Probably not a huge difference between he and Ahmed but I do think Gaskin is slightly better.

I agree on Calloway , I probably lead the forum on Calloway posts haha. I just think he should be starting opposite DVP period. Grant did get open early against Denver but Tua misses him. He missed him last week to on what would have been an unbelievable play. Just agree with you, too small a catch radius. Other than that there was a play that looked to me that Hollins lacks awareness as a WR, Perry is a gadget guy and Bowden can’t even get active in a week WR group.

I think there is a chance we get Gaskin back this week. Probably not a huge difference between he and Ahmed but I do think Gaskin is slightly better.

now I know why they stuck with Preston when he looked terrible at the top of routes. Don’t have anything else.

play Calloway and use stacks with dvp offset to get him good looks...I don’t know if they are still building with tua on some of this stuff but I agree they need to get dvp off coverage

At the end of the day, this is just one more Dolphins team that Fails Football 101.
Run the ball and stop the run on D. 'F'.
Until Grier can assemble a team that passes Football 101, we're a trash heap.

Yeesh. Hard to make an argument with that level of hyperbole. However, I understand your frustration about yesterday's game. Hopefully we can get better soon.

I was urging him (in my head) to put Fitz in as we needed to win this game. We so needed this game. Flores understood that and he sat his struggling, young QB. It was the right call and it almost worked. Except Fitz threw into double coverage for a pick...sigh.
like he always does

Are we seeing another QB held back by coaching?

I'm tired of the rationale that greatness is developed slowly and that we must earn the right to have a young QB who can hit it right from the start.

83 yards.
169 yards.
248 yards.
93 yards.

Some players do develop slower.

But I'm tired of pretending like we didn't draft a QB who is a "generational" type talent only to be dazzled by 593 yards in 4 starts.

If he cannot handle it, draft a replacement. If the coaches can't handle him, hire their replacements.

But stop pretending we must hold him back completely in compliance with some grand plan that has no proof of working.

If holding him back helps his development, what's the impact of being benched? Seems someone is failing; coach or player?

Stop hindering his play calling because the staff can't handle his success.

Are we seeing another QB held back by coaching?

I'm tired of the rationale that greatness is developed slowly and that we must earn the right to have a young QB who can hit it right from the start.

83 yards.
169 yards.
248 yards.
93 yards.

Some players do develop slower.

But I'm tired of pretending like we didn't draft a QB who is a "generational" type talent only to be dazzled by 593 yards in 4 starts.

If he cannot handle it, draft a replacement. If the coaches can't handle him, hire their replacements.

But stop pretending we must hold him back completely in compliance with some grand plan that has no proof of working.

If holding him back helps his development, what's the impact of being benched? Seems someone is failing; coach or player?

Stop hindering his play calling because the staff can't handle his success.
Trade all our picks for Diggs j brown and beasly there is your answer

I still think Flores saw that the o-line was doing a pretty spotty job and Tua was already sacked 6 times.... so he put in Fitz. The playcalling with Fitz seems really wide open compared to Tua, we really want Tua to be a game manager in his first year it seems.

To me it's absurd to think the coaches are "holding a player back." The player holds himself back.
You can either handle a full slate or you can't. You can either execute all the plays or you can't.
For sure -- asking a player to do something they cannot do, or are not ready to do, is dumb.
So make your assumptions re who's being "held back" and why based on that kind of thinking.

Now regression is another matter. It's hard to build forward momentum when you regress.
Maybe just me, but I saw more than a few hints of "regression" on the field yesterday. Why?
Well, perhaps the coaches were asking for a tad more than the player was ready for. Or
maybe the player got rattled, lost poise and lost confidence. Whatever the reason,
there were definitely some "alarms" going off yesterday.

So, IMO, the set back is far more concerning long term than just losing one game. We need to
see some semblance of a solid foundation to build on because yesterday was a house of cards.

>>> Have a nice day!

To me it's absurd to think the coaches are "holding a player back." The player holds himself back.
You can either handle a full slate or you can't. You can either execute all the plays or you can't.
For sure -- asking a player to do something they cannot do, or are not ready to do, is dumb.
So make your assumptions re who's being "held back" and why based on that kind of thinking.

Now regression is another matter. It's hard to build forward momentum when you regress.
Maybe just me, but I saw more than a few hints of "regression" on the field yesterday. Why?
Well, perhaps the coaches were asking for a tad more than the player was ready for. Or
maybe the player got rattled, lost poise and lost confidence. Whatever the reason,
there were definitely some "alarms" going off yesterday.

So, IMO, the set back is far more concerning long term than just losing one game. We need to
see some semblance of a solid foundation to build on because yesterday was a house of cards.

>>> Have a nice day!

I'm not so sure I agree totally. It is not uncommon for talking heads (I know, they are often wrong) to say things similar to 'they're going to do a lot of running until Unitas gets comfortable out there.' or 'they don't want Starr making those deep throws until he's proven he can handle the intermediate stuff.' Now, I'll agree coaches don't hold a player back just out of policy or to match a 'program,' but I think they do hold them back until they've shown mastery of more basic stuff

Bottom line is we don’t have any big time playmakers period.

- Andrew Van Ginkel had the huge forced fumble on the goal line that gave us a chance to come back. Also nearly blocked another punt. He’s like a heat seeking missle on defense.
- Xavien Howard continues to be impressive, another int, tight coverage and of course the int number 6 on the year.
- Devante Parker had a big game made some unreal contested catches the toe tap TD was beautiful.
- Nik Needham had some nice pass break ups on really tight coverage. He continues to develop and get better.
- Antonio Callaway sighting converted a big 3rd and 10 with a 13 yard catch hope he keeps working his way onto the field.
- Not sure who got credited with the 4th and 1 stop but that was a big play.
- Jason Sanders 53 yard FG to make it a 1 possession game.
- Fitz came in and made some plays and at least brought some excitement and gave us a chance to win. This will obviously be the hot debated topic. Not really a fan of it, I get it from a coaching perspective but i don’t think you can just yank your future franchise Qb when things get tough even if it may be best option in that particular time.
The team never stopped playing hard. That's a big positive, and a sign of a good coach. IMO.

Back
Top Bottom