Possibilty of drafting a QB in next year's draft? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Possibilty of drafting a QB in next year's draft?

phinsphan4ever

Welcome to Miami Daunte!!
Reaction score
What does everyone think of us drafting a QB in next year's draft. My take is that next year's draft is going to have some potentially great, pro bowl caliber QB's available such as Byron Leftwich, Rex Grossman, Eli Manning, Chris Rix(possibly), Ken Dorsey(I'm not totally sold on him).

:eat:

I think we should get Major Applewhite. Everyone knows that he is the better QB between him and Chris Simms! Applewhite got screwed!! Just look at what Applewhite did in the Bowl Game when Chris Simms was hurt!!! The only reason Applewhite lost he job to Chris Simms, was because Chris has a father named PHIL whom we all know. Politics, politics, politcs!

I definitlely agree there.
Besides, with only 5 picks this year, we do not have the luxury of picking a project guy down the line.
Another thing to remember is that the guy they pick this year would not even challenge for a 2nd string job.
IMO the FO wants to give all 3 present QB's as many reps as possible in Norv Turner's new system.
Brining in a young guy this year would only take away from the reps that the top 3 guys would get.
I do think that next year should be the year to groom our "QB of the future". I would not mind seeing one of the top 2 or 3 picks next year be used on a QB.
The wild card in this whole thing is Cade McNown.
If he can progress this year like the FO wants him to, he may have a shot to move up to number 2 next year, and possibly challenge Jay for the starting job in a year or two.
It's kind of funny/sad that no one is really even considering Fiedler as our "QB of the future", even with his 5 year contract.

I think if Fiedler cuts down the little mental errors, that he will be our man for at least 2-3 years, but I really hope Cade Mcnown comes through. I really wouldn't mind us getting another Quality starting WR. I like Oronde, especially his hands, and leaping ability, but I would rather see him as the 3rd WR in the slot. Although if Oronde didn't have his foot problems I would think that Chris and Oronde could look like how Moss and Carter were in Minnesota. That fade pass in the end zone really doesn't work anymore with Oronde because defenses expect it. I'm tired of all these one year hit WRs (Ward, McKnight, Martin, Ogden,) I'm not saying we need another tar like Chris Chambers, but having 2 good speedy WRs that can consistently catch the ball does help!! Look at Holt and Bruce, Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey!!

Originally posted by aqua&orange54
What does everyone think of us drafting a QB in next year's draft. My take is that next year's draft is going to have some potentially great, pro bowl caliber QB's available such as Byron Leftwich, Rex Grossman, Eli Manning, Chris Rix(possibly), Ken Dorsey(I'm not totally sold on him).

:eat:

Hmmmm you have a really good idea, having only 5 picks this year and many more holes to fill, one of them definitely not being a Qb. Maybe it might be time to get rid McKnown next year.

As for you not being sold on Ken Dorsey, the only thing you can have a doubt about with him is his toothpick like frame! But that is one of the reasons he stayed in school. He is probably the smartest Qb coming out next season, and has natural leadership skills, to go along with the fact that he is working hard to build up his muscle.

But then again I see that FSU flag of yours waving under your name, and that pretty much says it all..........Rix a possibility, yet your not sold on Dorsey. Thanks for that laugh. Dorsey only Qb'd, and led the Hurricanes to one of, if not the BEST teams ever to play, go undefeated, and Win the NCAA National Championship.

But like I said you Topic on this thread is a pretty darn good one...

Go Canes :drinkers:

I'm going to have to agree that Dorsey will likely never be a good NFL QB. One solid hit from a good NFL D-End will snap the guy in half. He has good fundamentals but he needs to put on about 100 lbs in order to even be considered a solid prospect. :lol:

You also have to consider Carson Palmer of USC a solid prospect if things go well for him this year. He has prototype size and arm strength and is relatively mobile. IMO his biggest problem thus far has been that he's had to learn three different offensive systems since he's been at USC. Hopefully this year, since this will be his second season under the same system, he'll show something solid (just not against the Bruins.)

Out of all the QB's that are likely to be in the draft next year, the one that I like the most is Eli Manning. If he comes out early next year he could be something special. Inevitably people will compare him with his brother but, everything I've read on the guy sais that he's much more mobile (like his father) and has a great feel for the game. Some are saying that he's likely going to be better than Payton.

Chances are though, that there is no way the 'Fins will have a shot at any of thes top prospects since they'll be picking last in the first round after they win the Super Bowl. That is if they even have a 1st rounder since RW's going to run for somewhere in the neighborhood of 2,000 yards. :D

:jumper:

I think it is too early to tell.

If Jay is healthy and we get to at least the championship game, then QB will be lesser priority, i.e. we would not use our #1

If Jay is healthy and we lose in the playoffs as usual , then QB may be a priority, but who knows now why we would lose, i.e. OL or injuries :confused:

If Jay is not healthy and Cade comes in looks like the next Steve Young

If Jay is not healthy and Cade comes in looks like the next Steve Young at Tampa Bay, then drafting a QB to succeed Jay becomes #1 priority.

Having said all that, if the 2003 draft is as good as the 1 20 years prior to it, I would expect us to take QB in the 1st round if we think he could start in the NFL or become a great one.

There was a couple names left off that list of the QB class of 2003, let me remind everyone that it will be the 20 year aniversy of the '83 draft. The only draft that will even rival the 2003 draft as far as talent at qb goes.

Byron Leftwitch-The consensus top prospect

Dave Ragone-Many feel he is #2 on this list

Ken Dorsey-Has ideal hight and arm strength, will be a important season for him now that the best line in college football has left.

Chris Simms-In my opion is the next Leaf, but he has the size and all the tools, to make some team take a chance on him

Carson Palmer-Needs a solid year to move up to the first round

Jamie Thomas-Needs to rebound from a horible year, but with a solid season he would be right back to the top of this list

The JRs

Eli Manning-Has it all but if his brother is any indication he will stay another year, even though this is his 4th year in school sence he redshirted.

Rex Grossman-Has pretty much already declared, but Florida QBs haven't faired to well in the NFL

Casey Clausen-If he continues to improve he has the tools to be great. If he has a solid year he will most likely leave Tenn

that is pretty big list and then where is the 2003 version of Ken O'Brien (i.e. Div II) :lol:

I hope to GOD that the Simms-Leaf comparison was based SOLEY on the fact you expect him to bust, not because of his attitude! Better comparison to Akili Smith....

The Applewhite better than Simms as a pro QB is laughable! There was no conspiracy, and PHIL SIMMS had NOTHING to do with Chris getting on the field. Mack Brown went with "his guy", he didn't recruit Applewhite. Plus Applewhite will never be able to avoid an NFL rush, he is ssssslllllooooowwwww and very brittle!

Dorsey has a lot to prove, physically. he needs to prove he can take a hit. No college team was gonna put pressure on him last year with that oline protecting him. He didn't even need to wash his jersey after most games!!! If he proves he can take a real hit, he will impress a lot of people.

Rix is to young and inexperienced to even be mentioning at this point.

Manning and Leftwich look REAL good. Grossman, I have to wait and save judgement, see what he does this year without all the safety nets around him, big big season for him.

The comparison to Leaf is due to many things. The first reason is because everyone around college and pro fotball look at his size and arm stenght and ignore his very raw skills, and think he should be great. The problem is he has yet to prove he is great, just like Leaf in college. The other problem is his work ethic and leadership seems to be questionable at best. Just like Leaf he has trouble getting the team behind him, also if a guy with his size and natural ability worked half as hard as say someone like Applewhite he would be off the charts, and he is far from off the charts yet. He could turn it around this season and prove me wrong, but thats my take on him right now.

Originally posted by Bodzilla29
Dorsey has a lot to prove, physically. he needs to prove he can take a hit. No college team was gonna put pressure on him last year with that oline protecting him. He didn't even need to wash his jersey after most games!!! If he proves he can take a real hit, he will impress a lot of people.

Like I said Dorsey has been in the weight room trying to Skewer some meat onto the toothpick, he needs to add at least 20 pounds of muscle weight. But I think he has already impressed people enough to take a chance on him early in next years draft!

He will definitely take more hits this year, and we shall see......

Point be known that Applewhite IS better the Chris Simms, and that's my final answer!!

Back
Top Bottom