Possible 2023 Back up Quarterback | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Possible 2023 Back up Quarterback

Baker carries too much drama and he turns the ball over too much. Jimmy G is the guy if we can afford him.
Baker is not hurt every year though. Last thing we need is QB3 Skylar Thompson starting late in the year again because Tua and Garoppolo are both out. I think Baker wins this debate hands down.

Personally as we all know we have a starting QB that is injury prone. If Grier gets a weak backup QB again I believe he needs to be fired. I would like to see a QB on the level of Gardner Minshew, Sam Darnold or Taylor Hienicke as our back up. Skylar is not ready. With the weapons we have we need a good backup. Who do you guys think is a reasonable possibility for us next year? Who would you prefer that won't be going somewhere as a starter?

I think Minshew could be the answer for next year….

No guarantee they pick up Tua’s 5th year option…..

I would say it's all but guaranteed they're picking up his fifth year option.
I wouldn’t…Drew Rosenhaus didn’t think it was all but guaranteed either.

As he put it…they can easily let him prove he can stay healthy in 23’ and either franchise him in 24’ or work out a deal and not gamble on getting burned on the 5th year option guarantee….

I tend to think that would be the wiser move with his injury history!

That seems a bit extreme. Given our other needs, I seriously doubt we spend our highest pick on a potential backup QB that almost assuredly would need development to some extent, when immediate contributors are needed and available.

I have no issue with taking a shot on a mid round QB in theory, but it doesn't make sense to me this year, given the circumstances. Aside from that, even top QB prospects are somewhat of a crap shoot. Second tier guys even more so.
I totally get the circumstances angle. I love Tua and a QB, but the injury issues is still a major concern. But for McKee I run the card up there in the second, because too me he would be best player on the board as well. Now I don't think he will be there at all very much doubt he falls out of the first.

To me McKee has the best arm talent in this draft. Despite being 6'6 he doesn't have a long release, as the ball gets out quickly. He can also drop down to a 3/4 arm slot and still sling it. He as great natural accuracy as well. From an arm talent and physical stand point reminds me of Luck. Now he has flaws so he isn't the prospect at Luck was. He does hesitate at times, inconsistent on reads at times as well, and need to be better at layered throws were he needs to take a little zip off and and more arc. The question is can he improve those things? Or how much was on him ve playing in a horrible O. Stanford was just brutal from OL to playmakers. Kid was sacked 40 times. While isn't a running QB he move decent. Stanford mover to a more rpo O this year (nit the best o for McKee) but he run the ball some.

I guess to me I couldn't pass up that talent at QB, with injury concer at starting QB in the second round. But the odds of him even being available at our 2nd round pick are very very slim.

As he put it…they can easily let him prove he can stay healthy in 23’ and either franchise him in 24’ or work out a deal and not gamble on getting burned on the 5th year option guarantee….

I think you would prefer to pay the final year of a rookie deal than leave yourself exposed franchising him and paying that cap number.

Anything is possible though i suppose

How about we grab Chad Henne 2.0? Just kidding. I like how Tyler progressed this year. I am not opposed to making him our #2 and maybe take a shot at someone with one of our multitude of picks this year, that is the ones that weren't forfeited... Seriously, we could use our #7 to see if we can grab someone if some of the current FA's aren't appealing.

I am a Marcus Mariota fan but he too gets hurt too often. We need a dependable #2 and my vote is for Skylar.

How about we grab Chad Henne 2.0? Just kidding. I like how Tyler progressed this year. I am not opposed to making him our #2 and maybe take a shot at someone with one of our multitude of picks this year, that is the ones that weren't forfeited... Seriously, we could use our #7 to see if we can grab someone if some of the current FA's aren't appealing.

I am a Marcus Mariota fan but he too gets hurt too often. We need a dependable #2 and my vote is for Skylar.
I thought Bridgewater was the only backup QB that was always hurt.

Horrible risk management by the team. Be very good upside for the player/agent. Wonder why Drew likes it,.

You have to look at the scenarios.

1. Dont pick up option, Tua stays healthy and lights it up. Well we basically just put a damn shotgun to our heads over a 20 mil Cap risk at QB. Are options now are franchise tag at about 50 million, which screws up the whole cap structure. So we gut players to afford it. Or be in a horrible bargaining position on a QB that has one healthy year. So many thing can go wrong. Bad cap issues under tag, signed to a massive deal (zero bargain strength) and then he starts getting hurt again on massive. Or maybe we don't take the risk on a one year healthy QB and let him walk and it becomes a Drew Brees nightmare all over again.

2. The other side of don't pick up the options Tua gets injured and we move on. What is the Big huge upside? We saved 20 million. We are still cap taxed without a QB. Draft one? Most likely. Still don't have big money for a top veteran if one is even available (rare, unless there us baggage). Most likely you have to sign a middling vet QB at 10-20 million and draft a QB high.

So on the don't pick up the option. Multiple ways to basically F our selves in the arse. With the largest upside being we saved 20 mil in cap space.

Now lets look at the scenarios of picking up the option.

1. Tua healthy and looks great. Well now we have options. He can play a year at 20 to prove health again. Maybe they get middle ground on an extension as we have some bargain power now. Even having him play at 20 and he looks great again we have the franchise tag for 24, when we have a ton of cap flexibility compared to 23.

2. Tua gets hurt again. So we say like number 2 above and we are moving on. Only difference is we have Tua at 20 mil vs not. But we still draft a QB high and instead of signing a middling vet we just use Tua as the vet. Let the rookie sit behind Tua and hope Tua get 8-10 games before another injury ( or shocks us and is healthy). That way the kid can sit learn the O instead of being throw in game 1.

To me when you look at all the ups and downs of pick up vs not pick up, I am picking up that 20 mil option everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. But this is the Dolphins and it would be so Miami to not pick up the option, just to f themselves in their own arse.

Just ran across this tweet from Kyle Crabbs. He's the host of LockedOnPhins & very good in evaluating/scouting collegiate players
Screenshot_20230123-162137~2.png

You'd have to think any backup QB would see this situation and like their odds of playing a little bit at least, on a talented team. We've had the right thought w/ JB and TB. But alas here we are again.

If costs were all equal - Tannehill would be my top choice.

But I'd like a veteran regardless, Tannehill, Minshew, Mayfield, Mariota

I'd lean towards whoever is the cheapet I think

Additionally, Tua's 5th year option isn't that good of a deal if you need to sign a 7-8m backup to take the field when Tua can't.

That's pretty much where they are going into next season. They better draft someone.

Seems like we are stuck between a rock and a hard place here as if he does stay healthy for the most part and his numbers expand...he's going to command major compensation...like top tier 'I want to be the highest paid' compensation....and we won't have much leverage...our cap will be a very complex maze if that happens...

You'd have to think any backup QB would see this situation and like their odds of playing a little bit at least, on a talented team. We've had the right thought w/ JB and TB. But alas here we are again.

If costs were all equal - Tannehill would be my top choice.

But I'd like a veteran regardless, Tannehill, Minshew, Mayfield, Mariota

I'd lean towards whoever is the cheapet I think
Bringing Tannehill back would be an interesting move, though I think he’d prefer to join a team with a chance to compete for the starting position or be the bridge quarterback.

Gardner Minshew could be a steady option.

Back
Top Bottom