Possible 2023 Back up Quarterback | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Possible 2023 Back up Quarterback

Mariota is kind of the style I'd favor in a back up. We need a guy that's not afraid to run the ball. I'd keep ST as 3rd string and keep developing him but back up QB could be very important if we get unlucky again with the injuries. How much medical crap can be heaped on one football team?? Should we talk Fitz out of retirement?

I'm sure Tua would love to have Mariota in the QB room. He's been pretty vocal about looking up to Mariota when he was a kid. I think someone like Heinicke or Minshew would both be good targets. Both are limited, sure, but they have moxie and the ability to provide a spark when needed. Both could come in and win as spot starters if Tua goes down next year.

Most likely scenario, in my opinion, is that we target another QB project in the draft and roll with Tua, ST, and a rookie.

Seems like we are stuck between a rock and a hard place here as if he does stay healthy for the most part and his numbers expand...he's going to command major compensation...like top tier 'I want to be the highest paid' compensation....and we won't have much leverage...our cap will be a very complex maze if that happens...
You pay the franchise tag in the 5th year if you decide to keep him….seems like the prudent decision with this situation….otherwise the 5th year is guaranteed regardless of his health situation!

To assume his health situation improves coming off multiple concussions seems irresponsible to me.

I think you would prefer to pay the final year of a rookie deal than leave yourself exposed franchising him and paying that cap number.

Anything is possible though i suppose
The 5th year option for him is alot more than the rookie contract, which is why Rosenhaus predicted that outcome as I perceived it?

Personally as we all know we have a starting QB that is injury prone. If Grier gets a weak backup QB again I believe he needs to be fired. I would like to see a QB on the level of Gardner Minshew, Sam Darnold or Taylor Hienicke as our back up. Skylar is not ready. With the weapons we have we need a good backup. Who do you guys think is a reasonable possibility for us next year? Who would you prefer that won't be going somewhere as a starter?

On one hand you say if Grier gets a weak qb, he should be fires, then you mention Sam Darnold......Yep, like your name, Not Sure

I'm sure Tua would love to have Mariota in the QB room. He's been pretty vocal about looking up to Mariota when he was a kid. I think someone like Heinicke or Minshew would both be good targets. Both are limited, sure, but they have moxie and the ability to provide a spark when needed. Both could come in and win as spot starters if Tua goes down next year.

Most likely scenario, in my opinion, is that we target another QB project in the draft and roll with Tua, ST, and a rookie.
what so special about Mariota???

Brissette and Bridgewater were considered to be very solid backup QBs. The problem is they don't do the things Tua does well - not many QBs do. Tua's quick anticipation and accuracy over the middle are hard skills to replicate. I think Tua's injury risk, combined with the unique system that is set up to play to his strengths, makes it a tough job for any backup. I'm not really sure what the best solution is. Perhaps Jimmy G?

Personally as we all know we have a starting QB that is injury prone. If Grier gets a weak backup QB again I believe he needs to be fired. I would like to see a QB on the level of Gardner Minshew, Sam Darnold or Taylor Hienicke as our back up. Skylar is not ready. With the weapons we have we need a good backup. Who do you guys think is a reasonable possibility for us next year? Who would you prefer that won't be going somewhere as a starter?

Ryan tannhill

Sam Darnold? I wouldn’t put him on the list. We would need someone who has demonstrated they can play winning qb in this league and I have never seen him do that. But I agree with the premise.

The 5th year option for him is alot more than the rookie contract, which is why Rosenhaus predicted that outcome as I perceived it?

This is my understanding of the options, i am by no means an expert in the NFL CBA so if something is inaccurate someone else can correct it:
The fifth year option if we pick it up is around 22 million.
If we do not pick it up he hits free agency next year where we would have to franchise him.
The 2023 franchise tag currently being discussed for Lamar Jackson is $45 million so i think the floor for the number next year starts there.
As an agent for your client's own pecuniary gain, i think you would prefer they don't pick it up in this situation.
As an organization i think you pick up the 5th year option and discuss an extension.

Back
Top Bottom