Possible 2023 Back up Quarterback | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Possible 2023 Back up Quarterback

How about looking for a starting QB. The only franchise base where we expect second and third strings to make appearance and contribute lol pathetic!!!!

I don't think a starting QB would want to be a backup QB, and trust me, most starting QBs we could get, would be backing up Tua.

This is my understanding of the options, i am by no means an expert in the NFL CBA so if something is inaccurate someone else can correct it:
The fifth year option if we pick it up is around 22 million.
If we do not pick it up he hits free agency next year where we would have to franchise him.
The 2023 franchise tag currently being discussed for Lamar Jackson is $45 million so i think the floor for the number next year starts there.
As an agent for your client's own pecuniary gain, i think you would prefer they don't pick it up in this situation.
As an organization i think you pick up the 5th year option and discuss an extension.
The problem with your thinking is….

Tua is a physically flawed player that may not ever be able to play a full season or reach his potential…

If you pick up the option you pay the 5th year whether Tua holds up physically or not?

That could be 20+ million out of your cap for a player that may not be your starter in 2024, which is why Rosenhaus logically explained it the way he did!

I think we need to save the 8-10 mill it will take to sign one of these hi priced backups and go with Skylar and keep developing him in the system, if Tua keeps getting hurt next year all bets are off anyways.

been thinking about this.
I think we need to save the 8-10 mill it will take to sign one of these hi priced backups and go with Skylar and keep developing him in the system, if Tua keeps getting hurt next year all bets are off anyways.
keep hearing folks talk about bringing a andy dalton or minshew or some other backup, why, so if Tua gets hurt we can hang around 500 with some has been or soon to be has been ?

got news for you bud, if we gotta go to our backup next year we got more problems to worry about than who are backup will be and how he will lead us to 9-8 or whatever.

what it really means is the season will be in the toilet and we have to find ourselves a new shining hope at qb for our future..

next season we have to bank on Tua being healthy so. might as well double down on skylar the backup and put that money on the oline to protect him.

yall can debate it all you want but thats our reality.

I want a backup with a higher ceiling than Skylar. There are so many free agent QBs this year. Go get one with a good arm. If Tua is out I want a guy that can at least throw it deep to Hill and Waddle.

A bunch of guys are available like Geno, Dalton, Minshew, and Brissett. I keep going back to Drew Lock. That kid has a big arm. He threw a very nice deep ball at Missouri. His ceiling is so much higher than Skylar.

next season we have to bank on Tua being healthy so. might as well double down on skylar the backup and put that money on the oline to protect him.
Seriously bank on him being healthy? Do you have the lottery numbers, it has about the same odds.

been thinking about this.

keep hearing folks talk about bringing a andy dalton or minshew or some other backup, why, so if Tua gets hurt we can hang around 500 with some has been or soon to be has been ?

got news for you bud, if we gotta go to our backup next year we got more problems to worry about than who are backup will be and how he will lead us to 9-8 or whatever.

what it really means is the season will be in the toilet and we have to find ourselves a new shining hope at qb for our future..

yall can debate it all you want but thats our reality.
Should Tua have a 4+ week Injury, the difference between Skylar and quality will mean a playoff berth. Phins schedule will be tough, especially if the jets pick up a solid passer.

Should Tua have a 4+ week Injury, the difference between Skylar and quality will mean a playoff berth. Phins schedule will be tough, especially if the jets pick up a solid passer.
I see what you mean and every season I want to compete but if Tua is out that long than man are we not really gonna care what happens next year, at least I won’t..

Seriously bank on him being healthy? Do you have the lottery numbers, it has about the same odds.
The point is, seeing that you’re having trouble understanding the point, yes, he either has to be healthy next year or it will be time to move on..

So saying that I’m banking on it is the same as saying he better stay healthy

Why bother with a backup at all if the good teams never need em? Have the Left Tackle man the position if your superstar goes down.
Yeah this makes no sense since we need a rock star RIGHT TACKLE since TUA throws with which hand?!?! We wasted money on another injury prone player in a left tackle which is not TUA’s blind side. Great he was an OL leader in the locker room. Have to be on the field for that kind of money knowing injury history.

We need a back up that is in the same or similar mold as Tua so he can come in without a change in offensive philosophy. Who is that, idk, I hope McD finds him and pays a fair price to get him because we are in win-now mode and can't afford to lose every game when Tua is down.

Back
Top Bottom