Possible cut/trade target list | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Possible cut/trade target list

Here's another I found floating out there. OT Isaiah Wilson of the Titans. Character (immaturity) issues, but seems if we were interested it wouldn't cost much to get him. High risk, high reward if Flo can get his head straight...

I'll agree with fish that we won't go crazy in free agency this year like we did last year when we signed 10 free agents. I can see 2 or maybe 3 depending on what we do first with our own free agents. We'll probably look for some bargains this time around. I hope they look at LB,DT and Safety in free agency and go all out on offense with the draft(other than maybe an Edge)

I'll agree with that, but add a qualification. If, as fans suspect, there will be FAs available and few spots left, there may be a number of cut/signings just for the upgrade. Even then, I expect just a few.

Shocked He-Man GIF by Masters Of The Universe

Love this post. In the NFL, sometimes we forget about trades.

If Miami can bring in some proven talent at a good value why not explore that?

I'm all for holding onto draft picks, but we know they don't always work out.

I liked the trade for Shaheen, a lower round pick for a player who probably just needed a change of scenery.

Going way back Paul Warfield was acquired in a trade. Can't imagine that early 70's team without him.

Here's another I found floating out there. OT Isaiah Wilson of the Titans. Character (immaturity) issues, but seems if we were interested it wouldn't cost much to get him. High risk, high reward if Flo can get his head straight...

Wow, I wasn't aware of any of that on Wilson, I wasn't even aware he wasn't playing, LOL!

That ain't that bad, he crashed a party and lost control of his car and hit a wall doing donuts.

Sounds like any dumb young man who just got a multi-million dollar contract.

I would take him no doubt.

Greg Rosenthal/NFL.com "Strong Candidates for Release"

Some notable names:

1) Von Miller OLB----Broncos can save $18 million, he missed all of last season from injury, under criminal investigation

2) Jurrell Casey DT---Broncos can save $12 million, he miissed most of the season with injury, he is 31 yrs old

3) David Johnson RB---Arizona

4) Geno Atkins DT--Cincy

5) David Njoku TE--Browns

6) Adam Humphries WR---Titans

Also in the "Potential Surprise Cut" Section:

David DeCastro OG---Pittsburgh

They also have Bobby McCain and Eric Rowe as names to watch.

I want to start a list of possible trade targets or "possible-signings-once-the-guys-get-cut". I'm personally going to scour every roster, especially the ones with salary problems, for potential targets. I'm going to go in order from the team w the worst cap situation and I'm going to sort their rosters for highest cap hit however only players w/o huge dead cap hits make sense otherwise the teams won't be saving anything. Also some players w/o huge cap hits might be added if they are in the last yr of their contracts and their teams look like they won't be able to re-sign them.

You guys are free to post other players I may have not posted yet.

I'm going to post a different one daily until I can't come up w any more.

Besides actual cap savings for their original teams my criteria will include scheme fit, familiarity w our coaching staff if any, ability to at least beat our incumbent for a given role, projected compensation and salary have to make sense and the player has to be under 30 and healthy enough to attend TC.

Today I'm starting w 27 yo NO Saints DT Malcom Brown.

So scrolling down the Saints roster on Spotrac I ran into this.

View attachment 66251

The name rang a bell and I noticed potential savings for the Saints by cutting/trading him.

This is what the whole contract looks like.

View attachment 66253

Career Stats

View attachment 66254

Malcom played for the Texas Longhorns until his junior year in 2015 when he declared for the draft and went in the last pick of the 1st round, #32, to the NE Patriots.

College Highlights

A short film study when he signed with the Saints

We would only be on the hook for about 1yr $5M, no dead cap, if we trade say a next year's 7th for the guy. He fits the scheme, he is familiar w Flores, he could easily be part of the rotation, he is an upgrade from Seiler against the run at RDT and he's a BIG upgrade from Benito Jones at NT. If we sign Godchaux back and bring this guy in we can forget about iDL for at least this year and still upgrade significantly.

If dude is cut he might be even cheaper. He might be willing to come here on the cheap on a short contract just to improve his market in a low year and try FA again next year.

Teammates Sheldon Rankins and Ryan Ramczyk would also be interesting but I started w Brown due to the Pats connection.

This is fantastic and why I subscribe to this forum. The ”insider info” that gives us the thoughts behind decisions after the fact is an insanely valuable added bonus but it’s the great great threads by folks just sharing their educated thoughts. Hell yeah dude.

Back
Top Bottom