Possible cut/trade target list | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Possible cut/trade target list

Carne Asada

there be no distractions for our team
Club Member
Reaction score

Possible cut/trade target list​

27 yo NO Saints DT Malcom Brown​

Malcom played for the Texas Longhorns until his junior year in 2015 when he declared for the draft and went on the last pick in the 1st round, #32, to the NE Patriots. He played and started for NE for four years until they decided not to exercise his 5th yr option. He then signed a 5yr $15M contract w the Saints in FA.

Current Contract​

1613749763625.png

We would only be on the hook for about 1yr $5M, no dead cap, if we trade say a next year's 6th for the guy. If dude is cut he'll be even cheaper. He might be willing to come here on the cheap on a short contract just to improve his market in a low year and try FA again next year.

Career Stats​

1613749911762.png

He fits the scheme, he is familiar w Flores, he could easily be part of the rotation, he is an upgrade from Seiler against the run at RDT and he's a BIG upgrade from Benito Jones at NT.

College Highlights​

A short film study from when he signed with the Saints​

28 yo MN Vikings OLB Anthony Barr​

Barr is a well-known name, he was a Top 10 pick out of UCLA who has enjoyed a productive career until he suffered a torn pectoral at the beginning of the season. The Vikings are $6M over the cap and that's before signing their rookie class, cutting Barr would get them back on the green. He has a huge cap hit and I just don't see anyone paying him that in this market . The Vikings would be better served giving Eric Wilson that money. As good as he is I would probably ask for a 3rd to take on that contract. He's most likely getting straight cut.

Current contract​

1613884836986.png

His production right up until last year was top notch and this doesn't even tell the whole story, Barr takes on blockers and clears the other LBs to make plays. Eric Kendricks's career would look a lot different without Barr next to him. Having said that he shouldn't even have been given that contract. Even wo COVID or his injury there was no way he was living up to that. No ROI at SAM warrants that type of salary unless he also produced double digit sacks year in and year out. Spielman being Spielman I guess. Great eye for talent but tends to always come out on the losing end of any and all negotiations, either speaking of contracts or trades and can't find a QB to save his life.

Career stats​

1613885483807.png

1613885513179.png

Pre-Draft film​

You can see he was more of a pass rusher back then too, maybe he still has it in him.

2019 Highlights​

Barr would be a great fit as a "thumper" or "stack and shed LB" at SAM right from Baker in the role Elandon Roberts played for us last year.

If Watt got cut I don't see why or HOW the Vikings would NOT cut Barr and still sign their rookies and re-sign Wilson. If they let Wilson walk then he automatically becomes the best LB to hit FA in years in my opinion. He would probably get a crazy contract though and I just don't see us giving out any of those this year.

Like the premise of the thread man, nice work!

Brown seems like a verrrry logical choice going back to the NE connection

Ramczyk would be a DREAM signing but seems unlikely.... curious to see any other OL pick ups or honestly anything in this thread should be interesting

Like the premise of the thread man, nice work!

Brown seems like a verrrry logical choice going back to the NE connection

Ramczyk would be a DREAM signing but seems unlikely.... curious to see any other OL pick ups or honestly anything in this thread should be interesting

Estimating Ramczyk's value on trade plus gauging our FO's willingness to give up, say a day two pick plus having to hand out a big contract for a player at a position where we already have a promising 2nd rd rookie also made me skip Ramczyk in favor of Brown for this first issue.

I mean yeah, you can move Hunt to RG but then Kindley looked good at RG also. I think we're going to focus on depth as far as OL goes this year.

Kindley had a decent half year then his play fell of drastically as for having a promising right tackle in Hunt versus the one of the best right tackles in football I know who I'll take 100 out of 100 times but his price would be way to rich for us. Numerous draft pics and an $11 million salary this season. As good as he is I'm not renting a right tackle for one season and losing draft picks.
I'm not sure we'll be signing any big name free agents since our team looks like they're trying to resign and extend our own players. Should be interesting but I Won't be surprised if we don't make a splash or trade valuable draft pics.

Kindley had a decent half year then his play fell of drastically as for having a promising right tackle in Hunt versus the one of the best right tackles in football I know who I'll take 100 out of 100 times but his price would be way to rich for us. Numerous draft pics and an $11 million salary this season. As good as he is I'm not renting a right tackle for one season and losing draft picks.
I'm not sure we'll be signing any big name free agents since our team looks like they're trying to resign and extend our own players. Should be interesting but I Won't be surprised if we don't make a splash or trade valuable draft pics.

Maybe one or two FA's especially if we lose a few but nothing like last year when we had a ton of money to spend.

I want to start a list of possible trade targets or "possible-signings-once-the-guys-get-cut". I'm personally going to scour every roster, especially the ones with salary problems, for potential targets. I'm going to go in order from the team w the worst cap situation and I'm going to sort their rosters for highest cap hit however only players w/o huge dead cap hits make sense otherwise the teams won't be saving anything. Also some players w/o huge cap hits might be added if they are in the last yr of their contracts and their teams look like they won't be able to re-sign them.

You guys are free to post other players I may have not posted yet.

I'm going to post a different one daily until I can't come up w any more.

Besides actual cap savings for their original teams my criteria will include scheme fit, familiarity w our coaching staff if any, ability to at least beat our incumbent for a given role, projected compensation and salary have to make sense and the player has to be under 30 and healthy enough to attend TC.

Today I'm starting w 27 yo NO Saints DT Malcom Brown.

So scrolling down the Saints roster on Spotrac I ran into this.

View attachment 66251

The name rang a bell and I noticed potential savings for the Saints by cutting/trading him.

This is what the whole contract looks like.

View attachment 66253

Career Stats

View attachment 66254

Malcom played for the Texas Longhorns until his junior year in 2015 when he declared for the draft and went in the last pick of the 1st round, #32, to the NE Patriots.

College Highlights

A short film study when he signed with the Saints

We would only be on the hook for about 1yr $5M, no dead cap, if we trade say a next year's 7th for the guy. He fits the scheme, he is familiar w Flores, he could easily be part of the rotation, he is an upgrade from Seiler against the run at RDT and he's a BIG upgrade from Benito Jones at NT. If we sign Godchaux back and bring this guy in we can forget about iDL for at least this year and still upgrade significantly.

If dude is cut he might be even cheaper. He might be willing to come here on the cheap on a short contract just to improve his market in a low year and try FA again next year.

Teammates Sheldon Rankins and Ryan Ramczyk would also be interesting but I started w Brown due to the Pats connection.

Great job on the research and layout @Stills&Landry , very well done!

Not a fan of the player, age, cost. But I'm very impressed with how you presented all the relevant info bro, thanks!

I'll agree with fish that we won't go crazy in free agency this year like we did last year when we signed 10 free agents. I can see 2 or maybe 3 depending on what we do first with our own free agents. We'll probably look for some bargains this time around. I hope they look at LB,DT and Safety in free agency and go all out on offense with the draft(other than maybe an Edge)

Back
Top Bottom