Possible cut/trade target list | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Possible cut/trade target list

Long range...

Trade Gesicki. His date is coming up and his asking price will be somewhere along the lines of Hunter Henry (4 years-$43 million-$10.9 mill per). Decent pass catcher but is a liability in blocking.

Bring in Gerald Everett from the Rams. His projected numbers are (3 years $22 million - $7.3 mill per). We get the same pass-catching with the bonus of Everett being a much better blocker.

I'd be on the horn looking for a 3rd/4th for Gesicki, but basically trying to avoid paying him in the top percentile of TEs.

Am I greatly overrating Rankins when I imagine him being able to fix much of what was wrong with our D last year?
Couldnt be great for stuffing the run and push the pocket into the QB's grill?

I have a few questions for you guys who know more about the salary cap than I do. Could the Dolphins possibly sign a couple of FA with contracts that are basically back loaded, so that they can afford this year, and when the stands are full again along with the new TV contract, they can pay those players? Here is an example. Let's say the Dolphins were targeting Allen Robinson at WR, and Corey Linsley(C). Now spotrac has their market value at AR 20 million, and CL 9.7 million. With the fact they wouldn't have to pay state taxes if they signed with Miami they both agree on the following contracts AR 4 year 76 million(19 a year), and CL 4 year 36 million (9 million a year), Could Miami ask AR to take 15 million this year and get 20.3 for the final 3 years, and ask CL to take 6 million this year, and 11 million over the final 3 years? If so, 2 questions.
1) Would that count as 21 million towards this year's cap, or does it count 28 million on this years cap?
2) Is there a maximum amount of these type of contracts you can sign?

I have a few questions for you guys who know more about the salary cap than I do. Could the Dolphins possibly sign a couple of FA with contracts that are basically back loaded, so that they can afford this year, and when the stands are full again along with the new TV contract, they can pay those players? Here is an example. Let's say the Dolphins were targeting Allen Robinson at WR, and Corey Linsley(C). Now spotrac has their market value at AR 20 million, and CL 9.7 million. With the fact they wouldn't have to pay state taxes if they signed with Miami they both agree on the following contracts AR 4 year 76 million(19 a year), and CL 4 year 36 million (9 million a year), Could Miami ask AR to take 15 million this year and get 20.3 for the final 3 years, and ask CL to take 6 million this year, and 11 million over the final 3 years? If so, 2 questions.
1) Would that count as 21 million towards this year's cap, or does it count 28 million on this years cap?
It would, in that simplified scenario, count as 21mil this year.

I would make a couple points though.

Backloaded contracts are a big risk if the player doesn't pan out for whatever reason (play, injury, etc). Players/agents are going to demand high gaurantees, and rightly so, with those type of contracts. There are no easy outs.

Usually I'm not in favor of those types of deals but under the circumstances. that's likely what many teams do this year, even with mid tier players.

Most starting quality FAs also receive substantial signing bonuses, which are ammortized over the total contract length, counting partially year one, with the entire remainder due if the player were to be cut, or traded later.

The state tax angle, while benificial, is not exactly what many think. State taxes for the "game check" are due for any road game played in any state in which they apply.

I'm not so sure the wouldn't be better off just going with a couple mid level "patches" this time.

Even at the 21mil in your example, when you add the amount to sign our rookies, it's pushing it, with little or no cushion.

I take it you don't think we need an upgrade from Seiler, as good as he is, at RDT and some depth, right?

I just think we should not focus on that position at all in free agency. We have Seiler and Raekwon and can easily find UDFAs or stop gaps elsewhere later in the draft or guys off the street like we did with Seiler.

Mostly I just think DT is very low at position of need. Literally all other positions seem to have less depth than DT to me.

But I do think it was good analysis on your part.

Last edited:
There should be a real buyer's market for any team with cap space this season. I wish we had just a bit more

I just think we should not focus on that position at all in free agency. We have Seiler and Raekwon and can easily find UDFA or stop gaps elsewhere in late in the draft or guys off the street like we did with Seiler.

Mostly I just think DT is very low at position of need. Literally all other positions seem to have less depth than DT to me.
I agree, to the extent that I don't see the need to spend on a FA.

I do think we need more depth there. IDLs see a serious drop off after 40-45 snaps per game, so you need to have a solid rotation. Some of these guys are a bit "situational" to begin with, which is fine but if we had any injury issues, it could fall apart quickly.

To add on to what Mach said, there are other problems to backloaded contracts. Let me give an example.

Let's say we add a star WR at 4 years and 60 million, and the contracted is constructed like this. A 16M dollar signing bonus with annual salaries of 1M (to facilitate getting around the cap), and then 12m, 15m, and 16M over the next three years. The salary cap impact would be...

5m the first year
16M the second
19M the third
and 20 the fourth

So far, so good... right?

What if the player decides that he doesn't like it in Miami... or X-like, decides that he needs more money now, and gives you a trade me tantrum.

Then if you trade/cut him. The remaining 12 million dollar cap charge hits you immediately. This cripples your chance to continue competing financially. We saw this with Wentz and Goff, and it would happen to Houston if they move Watson. THIS is the reason that high signing bonus players become untradeable without incurring HUGE cap burdens.

Back
Top Bottom