Possible cut/trade target list | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Possible cut/trade target list

To add on to what Mach said, there are other problems to backloaded contracts. Let me give an example.

Let's say we add a star WR at 4 years and 60 million, and the contracted is constructed like this. A 16M dollar signing bonus with annual salaries of 1M (to facilitate getting around the cap), and then 12m, 15m, and 16M over the next three years. The salary cap impact would be...

5m the first year
16M the second
19M the third
and 20 the fourth

So far, so good... right?

What if the player decides that he doesn't like it in Miami... or X-like, decides that he needs more money now, and gives you a trade me tantrum.

Then if you trade/cut him. The remaining 12 million dollar cap charge hits you immediately. This cripples your chance to continue competing financially. We saw this with Wentz and Goff, and it would happen to Houston if they move Watson. THIS is the reason that high signing bonus players become untradeable without incurring HUGE cap burdens.
Yes. I referenced that situation, but your detailed explanation was much better.

As an interesting aside, I was reading something the other day that pointed out that any incentive bonuses are added to the year end cap tally, and then recalculated. Our player's incentives added a few million after the fact.

I just found it interesting.

Yes. I referenced that situation, but your detailed explanation was much better.

As an interesting aside, I was reading something the other day that pointed out that any incentive bonuses are added to the year end cap tally, and then recalculated. Our player's incentives added a few million after the fact.

I just found it interesting.
I saw that... It is yet another reason why you have to be pretty careful when using future cap space numbers, it does shrink a bit over time.

If you have a team that signed prove-it style contracts, you might see your future cap space shrink when they do... not that you mind, because they did well, but you've got to be careful.

Trade back to 9 get a second and AJ Johnson from the Broncos
That's a good strategy.

I floated the idea of trading back with the 49ers and getting Ayuk as part of the trade package.

This reminds me of Gus Frerrotte when he out played himself out Miami.

Greg Van Roten was mentioned in the article. I don't think the Jets cut him, but if they do, I think he's very underrated, even if we need OG's less than RT and C.

Thanks Mach and Fever. That explains a lot. I also felt like me might see a few of those back loaded contracts this year as well. Covid has screwed up everything. Maybe we will get lucky if we have to do a couple of these contracts.

Thanks Mach and Fever. That explains a lot. I also felt like me might see a few of those back loaded contracts this year as well. Covid has screwed up everything. Maybe we will get lucky if we have to do a couple of these contracts.
I think we may, just not top tier guys.

I still don't like it as a rule, but there are going to be many quality players without homes. It's a good opportunity to get good "value".

The MO of this regime seems to be short term prove it deals which is exactly what a lot of players may be forced to accept with the cap limitations around the league.

Deshawn Jackson is getting cut from the Eagles. I wonder if he still has some speed left in his old legs.

Back
Top Bottom