Possible cut/trade target list | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Possible cut/trade target list

Possible cut/trade target list​

27 yo Det Lions NT Danny Shelton​

Damn, I'm developing a crush on big men, lol! Daniel Saileupumoni Shelton played his college ball for Washington and earned himself being picked in the first round of the 2015 draft by the Browns. He played well but there was a scheme change in Cleveland and they wanted some more pass rush out of their NT spot. He was traded along w a 5th rd pick to the NE Patriots in exchange for a 3rd rd pick in 2018. Basically his value was like a 4th rd pick. He played well enough to get another 1 yr contract from them and then he signed w the Lions just last year. The Lions are currently $1.5M over the cap.

Current contract​

1613879854805.png

About $4M cap hit 1yr no guarantees is a heck of a contract. I would send our 6th rd pick. I want to move Grant so he is a default throw in on any trades I project, lol. Grant and our sixth?

Career stats​

1613880507351.png
1613880531761.png

College Highlights​

Combine​

I'm too lazy to add anything NFL cause the No Fun League will censor it.

Scheme fit, Flores knows him, healthy, young, salary and compensation make sense, would allow us to move Davis to 3 tech on base on run downs.

Last edited:
I just think we should not focus on that position at all in free agency. We have Seiler and Raekwon and can easily find UDFAs or stop gaps elsewhere later in the draft or guys off the street like we did with Seiler.

Mostly I just think DT is very low at position of need. Literally all other positions seem to have less depth than DT to me.

But I do think it was good analysis on your part.

Thank you. Well I hope it really does turn out that easy. I would like at least two more DTs under contract whether that includes Godchaux back or not. The fact we spent the first 1st round pick of this regime on a DT and then another 2nd the year after paired that with the fact we're slating a 3rd year 7th rd pick PS guy out of Ferris State we poached from the Ravens less than a year ago as a starter next to those two makes me think we may be looking for an upgrade.

Having found a "starter" in Jesse Davis at OT and having extended him didn't preclude us from drafting OT at #18 and #39 last year. I think Sieler on D is very much like Jesse Davis on O.

Now, don't get me wrong, I do believe our needs in offense and at LB to be more important, that's why I'm shopping for DTs in the bargain bins. I sure do hope we walk out the draft w Smith, another WR and a RB as well as a SAM LB.

Last edited:
I think the NT spot would be best taken care of in FA or re-signing Godchaux. There's a healthy market. I don't mind giving up a pick for a 1 yr rental because at least he'll count against the comp pick formula.

Last edited:

Possible cut/trade target list​

27 yo NO Saints DT Malcom Brown​

Malcom played for the Texas Longhorns until his junior year in 2015 when he declared for the draft and went on the last pick in the 1st round, #32, to the NE Patriots. He played and started for NE for four years until they decided not to exercise his 5th yr option. He then signed a 5yr $15M contract w the Saints in FA.

Current Contract​

View attachment 66253

We would only be on the hook for about 1yr $5M, no dead cap, if we trade say a next year's 6th for the guy. If dude is cut he'll be even cheaper. He might be willing to come here on the cheap on a short contract just to improve his market in a low year and try FA again next year.

Career Stats​

View attachment 66254

He fits the scheme, he is familiar w Flores, he could easily be part of the rotation, he is an upgrade from Seiler against the run at RDT and he's a BIG upgrade from Benito Jones at NT.

College Highlights​

A short film study from when he signed with the Saints​

28 yo MN Vikings OLB Anthony Barr​

Barr is a well-known name, he was a Top 10 pick out of UCLA who has enjoyed a productive career until he suffered a torn pectoral at the beginning of the season. The Vikings are $6M over the cap and that's before signing their rookie class, cutting Barr would get them back on the green. He has a huge cap hit and I just don't see anyone paying him that in this market . The Vikings would be better served giving Eric Wilson that money. As good as he is I would probably ask for a 3rd to take on that contract. He's most likely getting straight cut.

Current contract​

1613884836986.png

His production right up until last year was top notch and this doesn't even tell the whole story, Barr takes on blockers and clears the other LBs to make plays. Eric Kendricks's career would look a lot different without Barr next to him. Having said that he shouldn't even have been given that contract. Even wo COVID or his injury there was no way he was living up to that. No ROI at SAM warrants that type of salary unless he also produced double digit sacks year in and year out. Spielman being Spielman I guess. Great eye for talent but tends to always come out on the losing end of any and all negotiations, either speaking of contracts or trades and can't find a QB to save his life.

Career stats​

1613885483807.png

1613885513179.png

Plus he’d be a kille B!

Pre-Draft film​

You can see he was more of a pass rusher back then too, maybe he still has it in him.

2019 Highlights​

Barr would be a great fit as a "thumper" or "stack and shed LB" at SAM right from Baker in the role Elandon Roberts played for us last year.

If Watt got cut I don't see why or HOW the Vikings would NOT cut Barr and still sign their rookies and re-sign Wilson. If they let Wilson walk then he automatically becomes the best LB to hit FA in years in my opinion. He would probably get a crazy contract though and I just don't see us giving out any of those this year.

Back
Top Bottom