Post June 1st Cuts | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Post June 1st Cuts

They also said Waddle and Holland will compete for return duties. Rip grant

I really hope we keep Waddle off special teams. I know he's electrifying as a return man, but I still have flashbacks to 1993 when Troy Vincent was lost for the season after getting hurt playing special teams. Waddle is too valuable to the offense to play STs.

I think the Cowboys have more of an issue with his salary than his play. I think he's the 5th or 6th highest paid linebacker in the league. From a production standpoint, I doubt many teams would mind having him on the roster if his pay was considerably lower. Over the past two seasons Smith has averaged 150 tackles, 2 sacks and 1 int. I for one would love him in Miami. Either Baker and McKinney, Smith and McKinney or Smith and Baker would make a nice pair of inside backers for the Dolphins. I'm not saying Smith is an elite backer, but if he's you starter, I doubt half the NFL teams have a better player in his spot.

I've watched him since 2017. He's not that good as his stats indicate. He's Kiko alonso without the high amount of turnovers. He makes "plays" off his remaining athletic ability that wasn't ruined by his knee injuries

He can't take on blocks at any level. He gives up ground instantly. He can't plant
He has no football instincts, he relies on his athletics to try to make plays
His agility is poor and he simply can't change direction without slowing down greatly.
His tackle numbers are high, but they are a lot of chase downs/way past the LOS.

You wouldn't love him in Miami, especially in a 3-4 or if he had to play in coverage. Sure, is he a starter in a league of 32 teams and 2-3 starting LBs? Yea.
Is he an upgrade over Baker? No.

The only time he looked good/his stats matched his play was when Vander Esch was a rookie, healthy and played next to him.

This is from theathletic after tons of articles came out this offseason about maybe cutting him

Coach 1: Overall, I look at 54 and feel like he has an incomplete understanding of how the defense works … almost like someone has coached him to just go run and be the best athlete. He seems to overreact to things that are not his responsibility, and he under-reacts to things that are fundamental to his own success in the scheme.

Coach 3: Playing linebacker is more than being able to blitz and cover receivers down the field. It is about taking on blocks, shedding them and tackling the ballcarrier. It is about living for contact and blowing up an iso. Jaylon wears the green dot, and you are telling me he has a hard time reading keys in the running game? I know I seem to pile on Jaylon a lot, but this is at the feet of Jerry and Stephen. This kid may have been an OK pro at 100 percent, but take away what he relies upon as his fastball and you have someone searching for answers. No wonder he jumps at every crosser he sees; his legs don’t work so he is guessing.

Last edited:
They also said Waddle and Holland will compete for return duties. Rip grant
I want someone less vital to our offense/defense to do the job.

If we don't have Grant, maybe Bowden or Iggy. I'd keep Grant, despite how I feel about him at WR, just to prevent key players from doing the job if that's what it took.

Kick offs and punts lead to significantly more injuries per play than typical downs. There aren't a ton of returns per game, but we have two examples w Preston and Waddle of what can happen in those few plays.

Waddle might be a special teams beast, but so was Tyreek Hill. But the Chiefs use a less dangerous but more dispensable guy (Hardman) as a returner bc it's just not worth it.

I'm beginning to think he may stay, my evidence:

Every Instagram pic/video, even the one just posted by the Dolphins, shows Grant working with Tua.
He’ll have to learn how to catch the football this off season. I’d be surprised if he sticks

I really hope we keep Waddle off special teams. I know he's electrifying as a return man, but I still have flashbacks to 1993 when Troy Vincent was lost for the season after getting hurt playing special teams. Waddle is too valuable to the offense to play STs.
You’d think Flores would’ve learned his lesson after Preston Williams

we should be able to get an 8th round pick for him
He is way overpaid for a guy who only plays specials... but I'll give him this much-- he works hard and gives us everything that he has.

I still don't think he sticks, but I've come off of 'never'.

He’s an all-pro kick returner that holds 3 separate franchise records. He does have value.

He’ll have to learn how to catch the football this off season. I’d be surprised if he sticks
A team like Atlanta can use Grant, if we decide to entertain a Julio Jones trade.

If Waddle can master the deep ball as a receiver, he can lead the NFL in receiving yards. With 4.2 speed, he resembles the Road Runner from Looeny Tunes.

He’s an all-pro kick returner that holds 3 separate franchise records. He does have value.
His one TD per year is not worth 4 million/year. ...and Punt Return records aren't exactly difficult to achieve. Longevity usually takes care of things like that. Play a few years, pass all the guys who were only there a year or two. Punt return 'records' aren't exactly like passing Dan Marino.

His one TD per year is not worth 4 million/year. ...and Punt Return records aren't exactly difficult to achieve. Longevity usually takes care of things like that. Play a few years, pass all the guys who were only there a year or two. Punt return 'records' aren't exactly like passing Dan Marino.
We already have the Road Runner in Waddle. The Falcons can use Grant. Once Julio is gone, they will need someone to help fill the hole on their roster.

Back
Top Bottom