Post Shula Drafts | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Post Shula Drafts

ChambersWI

Going Ghost
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Hate to make another thread about our draft history, but just wanted to see how people would grade the players drafted by JJ/Wanny/Spielman. (just judge the guys you know)

JJ Era
JJ Johnson RB Mississippi State You would've thought that with all of the runningbacks Jimmy drafted, atleast one of them would have been good.

Rob Konrad RB Syracuse He teased us every year he was here

Grey Ruegamer C Arizona State I take it Jimmy really wanted to replace Ruddy

Cecil Collins RB McNeese State Is he still in Jail?

Bryan Jones LB Oregon State Scrub

Brent Bartholomew P we had Turk, what can ya do?

Jermaine Haley DT Butte J.C. Like the college name

Joe Wong G Brigham Young Scrub

John Avery RB Mississippi He had alot of speed, but no work ethic. He spent his days at training camp sleeping during film sessions, and playing Madden at night. Doesn't help that Randy Moss has become so great.

Patrick Surtain DB Southern Mississippi JJ struck gold with this pick

Kenny Mixon DE Louisiana State Similar to Vonnie Holliday. Good at run stuffing, and can get about 8 sacks a year on stunts. He was ok, but it's hard to miis DEs when all of the ones we've had have atleast one good year across from JT.

Brad Jackson LB Cincinnati Wasn't that good, but most of the LBs we've drafted all blend together in my mind so I don't remember.

Larry Shannon WR East Carolina All the talent in the world, but no hands

Lorenzo Bromell DT Clemson He was really our only guy who played both DE and DT. Good here, but not anywhere else. He better thank KT for the contracts he has gotten from other teams.

Scott Shaw G Michigan State Scrub

Nathan Strikwerda C Northwestern scrub

John Dutton QB Nevada I vaguely remember his first pre-season game, and there's a reason why it's only vaguely. (besides the fact I was still a kid)

Jim Bundren G Clemson Scrub

Yatil Green WR Miami (FL) Too many injuries. What a shame

Sam Madison DB Louisville Listening to some people here, I think alot of people forget how good Sam was (or still is for that matter), he's no longer top 5, but he's still top 10

Jason Taylor DE Akron Probably our greatest DE of all time

Derrick Rodgers LB Arizona State Was solid here, but I don't miss him

Ronnie Ward LB Kansas What a shock! A Linebacker!!!

Brent Smith T Mississippi State Damn we had a tough time finding a compliment for Webb didn't we?

Jerome Daniels G Northeastern Who?

Barron Tanner DT Oklahoma Moving on

Nick Lopez DE Texas Southern I've seen better

John Fiala LB Washington what's with JJ and Wanny's love for all these linebackers?!?

Brian Manning WR Stanford Atleast he got an eduaction

Mike Crawford LB Nevada We should never draft a player from Nevada again

Ed Perry TE James Madison Great LS

Hudhaifa Ismaeli DB Northwestern Nice name

Daryl Gardener DT Baylor Could only be controlled by Jimmy, and Marvin Lewis. Had all the talent in the world, but never used it all.

Dorian Brew DB Kansas Too many Big 12 guys in this draft

Karim Abdul-Jabbar RB UCLA (Numbers wise he's only behind Ricky, Zonk, and Mercury on our all-time rushing list)

Kirk Pointer DB Austin Peay yeah, ok.

Stanley Pritchett RB South Carolina Why does this name sound so familiar? (Besides the fact that we drafted him)

LaCurtis Jones LB Baylor ...

Jerris McPhail RB East Carolina We drafted 3 RBs, and none of them were that good

Shane Burton DT Tennessee Don't remember how he did for us, but he's done fine in Carolina

Zach Thomas LB Texas Tech Kiper ripped us for this pick, and said Zach would never make it. Great call Kiper :wink:

Shawn Wooden DB Notre Dame A community favorite in Miami. 1st run with the Fins was alot better than the 2nd. Too bad he's retiring

Jeff Buckey G Stanford Scrub

Brice Hunter WR Georgia Scrub

Wanny Era
2003 next year is the moment of truth for them
Eddie Moore LB Tennessee He was drafted WAY too early, and better players were available. This year will be big for Moore.

Wade Smith T Memphis He is still a project. This year was his 2nd year at LT, but I doubt he will ever start for us again

Taylor Whitley G Texas A&M meh...

Donald Lee TE Mississippi State He has alot of talent, but he needs to stop committing penalties, and start holding onto the ball

J.R. Tolver WR San Diego State We all were calling for him to start his rookie year, but never got a chance. Didn't make the roster this past year, and is now on the Panthers

Corey Jenkins DB South Carolina Was a decent ST player his rookie year, went to Chicago for half a year and then came back here.

Tim Provost T San Jose State Scrub

Yeremiah Bell DB Eastern Kentucky Wanny might have found a diamond in the Rough, Who Knew he had it in him?

Davern Williams DT Troy State Got cut due to injuries

Seth McKinney C Texas A&M Dumb as a rock

Randy McMichael TE Georgia Truely the last good pick of the Wanny Era

Omare Lowe DB Washington Gotta feel somewhat bad for the guy, couldn't mae our team or the Jets, but I think he landed with the Pats

Sam Simmons WR Northwestern I really wanted him to be good here, he was small, and with the emergence of Welker, we had no use for him.

Leonard Henry RB East Carolina Has never gotten a real chance at playing. Had a good game against the Jets last year.

Jamar Fletcher DB Wisconsin Should not have picked him, he will always be bashed because of what we could of had

Chris Chambers WR Wisconsin Great Pick

Travis Minor RB Florida State good change of pace back, and ST player, but not an everydown back)

Morlon Greenwood LB Syracuse (Not flashy, not a big time player, but he's a solid contributer)

Shawn Draper T Alabama Scrub

Brandon Winey T Louisiana State Scrub

Josh Heupel QB Oklahoma And I thought Dutton was a bad pick :shakeno:

Otis Leverette DE Alabama-Birmingham Scrub

Rick Crowell LB Colorado State Scrub, I'm beginning to see a pattern

Todd Wade T Mississippi Ok, but overrated

Ben Kelly DB Colorado Did Wanny even watch any tape on this guy?!?

Deon Dyer RB North Carolina Good blocker, but not much else

Arturo Freeman DB South Carolina OK, couldn't find a permanent spot as a starter for us

Ernest Grant DT Arkansas-Pine Bluff Scrub

Jeff Harris DB Georgia Scrub

Spielman Era (too early to judge, but still like to hear your opinion)
Vernon Carey G Miami (FL) TBD, but his drafting was handled poorly

Will Poole DB USC Looked good as a nickle/dime back.

Tony Bua DB Arkansas Fan Favorite. Will be S this year, Nothing more than a ST ace

Rex Hadnot C Houston Another guy few expected to make the team. He was solid

Tony Pape G Michigan Being a Michigan fan I love the guy, but he's still raw

Derrick Pope LB Alabama Surprised everybody by making the team. Looks like Zach's future replacement

yo bro, who is Schula ? you talking about dan shuler, or heath shuler.

I sure hope that Saban has way better drafting skills then both JJ and Wanny.

PhinDude88 said:
I sure hope that Saban has way better drafting skills then both JJ and Wanny.

Jimmy did ok with some of his picks. (ZT, JT, Sam, Pat, and to a lesser extent Mixon, Rodgers, Brommell, and Wooden)

ChambersWI said:
Jimmy did ok with some of his picks. (ZT, JT, Sam, Pat, and to a lesser extent Mixon, Rodgers, Brommell, and Wooden)

He did awful with the 1st rounder, and that is where i hope that Saban will fix.

good post our 2000,2003 drafts were horrible. Also Daryl Gardener had some good years with us Jimmy did a ok job with that pick 2 bad 4 his back

armyfinfan said:
good post our 2000,2003 drafts were horrible. Also Daryl Gardener had some good years with us Jimmy did a ok job with that pick 2 bad 4 his back

when I said only JJ could control him it was an indirect knock at Wanny. He and TBo were more dominant than a healthy TBo/Chester combo.

good thread chamberswi , I think it goes to show what knuckelheads that dave and the hair spary warden (J .J) were . I CANT BELIVE AT HOW MANY PLAYERS THAT WERE NOT ABLE TO MAKE THE TEAM. what bothers me is that we have had so many bust which is probally more than most teams. the two positions we seem to have trouble with is rb and wr and even today our wr corp is slow and average except chambers and randy. I for one would love to see us have a pro bowler at te, rb and wr. As far as the draft we need to draft two rbs and one wide reciver and use f/a and undrafted rookies to deal with the linebackers and dbacks.:cooldude:

(the great mercury is sober and trouble free . at least for the moment)

It seems like we should trade our first rounder for a second and third.:roflmao:

ChambersWI said:
Hate to make another thread about our draft history, but just wanted to see how people would grade the players drafted by JJ/Wanny/Spielman. (just judge the guys you know)

JJ Era
JJ Johnson RB Mississippi State You would've thought that with all of the runningbacks Jimmy drafted, atleast one of them would have been good.

Rob Konrad RB Syracuse He teased us every year he was here

Grey Ruegamer C Arizona State I take it Jimmy really wanted to replace Ruddy

Cecil Collins RB McNeese State Is he still in Jail?

Bryan Jones LB Oregon State Scrub

Brent Bartholomew P we had Turk, what can ya do?

Jermaine Haley DT Butte J.C. Like the college name

Joe Wong G Brigham Young Scrub

John Avery RB Mississippi He had alot of speed, but no work ethic. He spent his days at training camp sleeping during film sessions, and playing Madden at night. Doesn't help that Randy Moss has become so great.

Patrick Surtain DB Southern Mississippi JJ struck gold with this pick

Kenny Mixon DE Louisiana State Similar to Vonnie Holliday. Good at run stuffing, and can get about 8 sacks a year on stunts. He was ok, but it's hard to miis DEs when all of the ones we've had have atleast one good year across from JT.

Brad Jackson LB Cincinnati Wasn't that good, but most of the LBs we've drafted all blend together in my mind so I don't remember.

Larry Shannon WR East Carolina All the talent in the world, but no hands

Lorenzo Bromell DT Clemson He was really our only guy who played both DE and DT. Good here, but not anywhere else. He better thank KT for the contracts he has gotten from other teams.

Scott Shaw G Michigan State Scrub

Nathan Strikwerda C Northwestern scrub

John Dutton QB Nevada I vaguely remember his first pre-season game, and there's a reason why it's only vaguely. (besides the fact I was still a kid)

Jim Bundren G Clemson Scrub

Yatil Green WR Miami (FL) Too many injuries. What a shame

Sam Madison DB Louisville Listening to some people here, I think alot of people forget how good Sam was (or still is for that matter), he's no longer top 5, but he's still top 10

Jason Taylor DE Akron Probably our greatest DE of all time

Derrick Rodgers LB Arizona State Was solid here, but I don't miss him

Ronnie Ward LB Kansas What a shock! A Linebacker!!!

Brent Smith T Mississippi State Damn we had a tough time finding a compliment for Webb didn't we?

Jerome Daniels G Northeastern Who?

Barron Tanner DT Oklahoma Moving on

Nick Lopez DE Texas Southern I've seen better

John Fiala LB Washington what's with JJ and Wanny's love for all these linebackers?!?

Brian Manning WR Stanford Atleast he got an eduaction

Mike Crawford LB Nevada We should never draft a player from Nevada again

Ed Perry TE James Madison Great LS

Hudhaifa Ismaeli DB Northwestern Nice name

Daryl Gardener DT Baylor Could only be controlled by Jimmy, and Marvin Lewis. Had all the talent in the world, but never used it all.

Dorian Brew DB Kansas Too many Big 12 guys in this draft

Karim Abdul-Jabbar RB UCLA (Numbers wise he's only behind Ricky, Zonk, and Mercury on our all-time rushing list)

Kirk Pointer DB Austin Peay yeah, ok.

Stanley Pritchett RB South Carolina Why does this name sound so familiar? (Besides the fact that we drafted him)

LaCurtis Jones LB Baylor ...

Jerris McPhail RB East Carolina We drafted 3 RBs, and none of them were that good

Shane Burton DT Tennessee Don't remember how he did for us, but he's done fine in Carolina

Zach Thomas LB Texas Tech Kiper ripped us for this pick, and said Zach would never make it. Great call Kiper :wink:

Shawn Wooden DB Notre Dame A community favorite in Miami. 1st run with the Fins was alot better than the 2nd. Too bad he's retiring

Jeff Buckey G Stanford Scrub

Brice Hunter WR Georgia Scrub

Wanny Era
2003 next year is the moment of truth for them
Eddie Moore LB Tennessee He was drafted WAY too early, and better players were available. This year will be big for Moore.

Wade Smith T Memphis He is still a project. This year was his 2nd year at LT, but I doubt he will ever start for us again

Taylor Whitley G Texas A&M meh...

Donald Lee TE Mississippi State He has alot of talent, but he needs to stop committing penalties, and start holding onto the ball

J.R. Tolver WR San Diego State We all were calling for him to start his rookie year, but never got a chance. Didn't make the roster this past year, and is now on the Panthers

Corey Jenkins DB South Carolina Was a decent ST player his rookie year, went to Chicago for half a year and then came back here.

Tim Provost T San Jose State Scrub

Yeremiah Bell DB Eastern Kentucky Wanny might have found a diamond in the Rough, Who Knew he had it in him?

Davern Williams DT Troy State Got cut due to injuries

Seth McKinney C Texas A&M Dumb as a rock

Randy McMichael TE Georgia Truely the last good pick of the Wanny Era

Omare Lowe DB Washington Gotta feel somewhat bad for the guy, couldn't mae our team or the Jets, but I think he landed with the Pats

Sam Simmons WR Northwestern I really wanted him to be good here, he was small, and with the emergence of Welker, we had no use for him.

Leonard Henry RB East Carolina Has never gotten a real chance at playing. Had a good game against the Jets last year.

Jamar Fletcher DB Wisconsin Should not have picked him, he will always be bashed because of what we could of had

Chris Chambers WR Wisconsin Great Pick

Travis Minor RB Florida State good change of pace back, and ST player, but not an everydown back)

Morlon Greenwood LB Syracuse (Not flashy, not a big time player, but he's a solid contributer)

Shawn Draper T Alabama Scrub

Brandon Winey T Louisiana State Scrub

Josh Heupel QB Oklahoma And I thought Dutton was a bad pick :shakeno:

Otis Leverette DE Alabama-Birmingham Scrub

Rick Crowell LB Colorado State Scrub, I'm beginning to see a pattern

Todd Wade T Mississippi Ok, but overrated

Ben Kelly DB Colorado Did Wanny even watch any tape on this guy?!?

Deon Dyer RB North Carolina Good blocker, but not much else

Arturo Freeman DB South Carolina OK, couldn't find a permanent spot as a starter for us

Ernest Grant DT Arkansas-Pine Bluff Scrub

Jeff Harris DB Georgia Scrub

Spielman Era (too early to judge, but still like to hear your opinion)
Vernon Carey G Miami (FL) TBD, but his drafting was handled poorly

Will Poole DB USC Looked good as a nickle/dime back.

Tony Bua DB Arkansas Fan Favorite. Will be S this year, Nothing more than a ST ace

Rex Hadnot C Houston Another guy few expected to make the team. He was solid

Tony Pape G Michigan Being a Michigan fan I love the guy, but he's still raw

Derrick Pope LB Alabama Surprised everybody by making the team. Looks like Zach's future replacement
BTW, Shula's drafts were not that good either!!

LtDan662002 said:
BTW, Shula's drafts were not that good either!!

never said they were, but JJ and Wanny's drafts have had more of an impact on our current rosters. And atleast the Don had some good first round picks (webb,vincent,coleman,bowens,marino)

I find it rather funny that you spelled the name of the greatest coach ever wrong!! Who's next?? That QB guy Dan Marina??

typos happen.

Back
Top Bottom