Post Your Surprise Pick at #51 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Post Your Surprise Pick at #51

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Whose a player that you think could be a surprise pick at #51?

Im going with Jordan Battle, the safety from Alabama. We know Vic Fangio uses three safeties a lot and I don't think Rowe will be back. Also, Battle is a ball hawk and the type of addition that could help push this secondary to the top of the NFL.

He also has ties to Sam Madison, if that's worth anything.

If you're going to be strong in one area, the secondary is a great place to start.

Fever, I follow your posts closely and would love to know your top 3-4 draft prospects and how they would fit. And any realistic trade down (acquiring more picks) options.
My picks change over time; I try not to get too stuck on my initial positions out of stubbornness, so if you go back in my posts, you'll likely see some contradictions...

But right now, today... before the end of FA or any of the Pro Days...

At #51, My dream player is Jahmyr Gibbs. If he falls this far, this is a no-brainer pick. He'd start and would play all three downs most of the time. He is the receiving back this offense needs. Outside of Gibbs, I would consider Trenton Simpson, or Drew Sanders next. Like Gibbs, both should be gone by #51, but ILBs always slide and Baker and Long are both short-term solutions (their contracts both expire after 2024). If I can't get any of these three, I trade down. We need picks and I only want to make the pick if it is a steal.

After that... I like Mike Morris (despite his combine) or Tuli Tuipulotu as replacements for Ogbah. That said, I think Morris will now slide a bit in the draft and that makes me extremely happy, because I think he's going to be very good. Now, he'll be cheap. I'd take Charbonnet if we miss on Gibbs. I'm honestly not oversold on any of the TEs. I think a lot of them are pretty good, and the pool is deep... so I'm bargain hunting late, rather than reaching early. That said, Washington would certainly fit.

The guys I like on the second day are generally players who are top players at cheaper positions. I never want to draft ILBs, RBs, Ss, or Interior Linemen on day one. These positions do not pay as well as the prime positions like QB, T, CB, and Edge, so I don't believe in spending my draft capital on them, but by the second and early third days, you can find immediate starters there sometimes-- like we did with Holland.

So... my board is needs based this year. Indeed, i think it is largely needs-based most years. So... in some years, I will barely look at a position that I don't think we'll be interested in drafting.

My picks change over time; I try not to get too stuck on my initial positions out of stubbornness, so if you go back in my posts, you'll likely see some contradictions...

But right now, today... before the end of FA or any of the Pro Days...

At #51, My dream player is Jahmyr Gibbs. If he falls this far, this is a no-brainer pick. He'd start and would play all three downs most of the time. He is the receiving back this offense needs. Outside of Gibbs, I would consider Trenton Simpson, or Drew Sanders next. Like Gibbs, both should be gone by #51, but ILBs always slide and Baker and Long are both short-term solutions (their contracts both expire after 2024). If I can't get any of these three, I trade down. We need picks and I only want to make the pick if it is a steal.

After that... I like Mike Morris (despite his combine) or Tuli Tuipulotu as replacements for Ogbah. That said, I think Morris will now slide a bit in the draft and that makes me extremely happy, because I think he's going to be very good. Now, he'll be cheap. I'd take Charbonnet if we miss on Gibbs. I'm honestly not oversold on any of the TEs. I think a lot of them are pretty good, and the pool is deep... so I'm bargain hunting late, rather than reaching early. That said, Washington would certainly fit.

The guys I like on the second day are generally players who are top players at cheaper positions. I never want to draft ILBs, RBs, Ss, or Interior Linemen on day one. These positions do not pay as well as the prime positions like QB, T, CB, and Edge, so I don't believe in spending my draft capital on them, but by the second and early third days, you can find immediate starters there sometimes-- like we did with Holland.

So... my board is needs based this year. Indeed, i think it is largely needs-based most years. So... in some years, I will barely look at a position that I don't think we'll be interested in drafting.
I could definitely see Miami capitalizing on a pass rusher or corner, two positions with a lot of talent in the draft. And obviously positions critical to a defense.

But, yes, as of now huge holes at running back and tight end exist.

I do like the addition of Long at linebacker. I think that takes away some pressure to get one in the draft. Not sure what's out there at tight end in free agency.

I could definitely see Miami capitalizing on a pass rusher or corner, two positions with a lot of talent in the draft. And obviously positions critical to a defense.

But, yes, as of now huge holes at running back and tight end exist.

I do like the addition of Long at linebacker. I think that takes away some pressure to get one in the draft. Not sure what's out there at tight end in free agency.
I don't think there are any stars available, but there are a number of guys who've had reasonable NFL careers. We just need a guy for one year. A bridge TE, if you will. I don't think there is any question that we'll draft a TE, so we just need a cushion against rookie melt-down in a position where rookies usually suck.

As an example... OJ Howard played for just over 1M last year. Is he great? No, but he could log some snaps and wouldn't really count against the cap. There are others...

A surprise pick that wouldn’t “surprise” me in the least at #51…

How about Baylor DT Siaki Ika

6’4 351… a transfer from LSU anchored that Baylor defense the past couple of years. Obviously the size says everything that needs to be said. Not going to get much pass rush from him but on run downs and those 3rd and 4th and shorts he’s a guy you want pushing the pile for your side.

The guy is just massive and just eats up space and gaps and allows everyone else around him to flourish.

Also as a plus… he just feels like a Belichick pick for NE. Would much rather Ika be pushing for us instead of against us.

Signing Mike White makes this far less likely, hence the surprise:

Hendon Hooker.
I could see it. Thompson is probably competing for a roster spot. No guarantees with the way he played, although maybe he continues to get better.

Hooker has starting potential.

A surprise pick that wouldn’t “surprise” me in the least at #51…

How about Baylor DT Siaki Ika

6’4 351… a transfer from LSU anchored that Baylor defense the past couple of years. Obviously the size says everything that needs to be said. Not going to get much pass rush from him but on run downs and those 3rd and 4th and shorts he’s a guy you want pushing the pile for your side.

The guy is just massive and just eats up space and gaps and allows everyone else around him to flourish.

Also as a plus… he just feels like a Belichick pick for NE. Would much rather Ika be pushing for us instead of against us.
Could be insurance for Seiler. It's going to be hard to keep both Wilkins and Seiler.

Back
Top Bottom