Postive From Sunday: The Other Half Played Well | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Postive From Sunday: The Other Half Played Well

Muck

Now completely imaginary
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I thought I'd give the defense some props here. Granted, we weren't playing Unitas, Moore, and Berry. But we were facing the #1 rushing attack in the NFL, which consists of a beast in Jamal Lewis and an offensive line that doubles as one of the Rocky mountains in the offseason. And we pretty much shut it down.....without the NFL's best CB in the lineup.

Wally Ogunleye had another outstanding game. I haven't focused exclusively on him yet. But he continued his great play against the run and getting to the QB. I noticed two plays in particular where he was lined up over Jonathon Ogden. The first play, Wally completely beat Ogden, giving him an inside swim move and dropping Jamal Lewis behind the LOS. On the second, he was driving back Ogden.....only to find Jamal Lewis putting the ball on the ground instead of being met for a loss.

On two other plays, JT came in unblocked on the other side as the OL sifted left towards Wally. There were others....but these four stuck out in my mind after the first rerun.

Larry Chester also had an outstanding game against the run. There was one 3rd and 1 in particular I remember where Chester was the only DL starter in......and Larry totally defeated Mulitalo to get at Lewis on the opposite end of the line.

Jim Bates called a good game I think. The blitzes were well timed for the most part. Especially the one with Zach and Morlon that resulted in Sammy Knight's INT to get us out of trouble. Nothing "lucky" about it. Great call, great execution. Morlon takes on the inside man. Zach takes the cutblock and still gets on the QB. Sammy cuts in and capitalizes on the altered throw.

Just a few quick hits from my memory. Felt like giving props to the other side of the ball in a rambling sort of way. :tongue:

Originally posted by Muck
Morlon takes on the inside man. Zach takes the cutblock and still gets on the QB. Sammy cuts in and capitalizes on the altered throw.

that was beautiful!

Ogunleye is really blossoming into the perfect complement for JT. Pretty to watch.

Props to Morlon Greenwood, he had a hell of a game!

Never thought I would say that!

Yes, Ogun is playing great. He is going to warrant some pretty good $ at the end of the year. Sadly, with our glaring needs on O... don't know if we can afford him.

We all enjoy Wally being so good this year but come contract time...

Well, heck, Drew the weasel already said they will be looking for "Jason Taylor money"

I love Ogun, but I don't think he deserves JT money. And, I also think he is doing all those great things this season for the money. When the press talks to him it almost seems like he's applying a math formula to each sack, determining how much money he's going to get in the offseason because of it.

Doesn't strike me as the type of player who will continue his success after he's received the big fat pay raise.

Besides, I think history has shown that whoever we put opposite JT ends up lookin pretty good come contract time. Mixon got the quan, Brommell got the quan, Trace got mega quan plus a pro bowl as a part time player...D-Bo has looked good, Wally looked pretty good last year (especially when he was wracking up sacks only in games in which JT was puttin on the pressure)...and now this year Wally seems to be duplicating what Trace did for us in 2000.

Then again, Wally is just an RFA next year.

I dont know if we can call Ogun a product of JT. JT aint doing a bang up job this season, and he isnt getting near the attention he did last season. The man is 1 sack out of first place in the sack race(11 leads the league, O-gun has 10).

JT has been doubled pretty consistently from the start. I've been watchin. He's having an off year in terms of sacks...but not so much in terms of pressure. The man is still getting as many pressures and hurries as anyone in the league, and he's probably drawing more penalties than any DE in the league on top of it.

An off year after a 18.5 sack year is not so very uncommon.

JT helps. But make no mistake, Wally is doing a lot on his own.

Also, I don't think Trace was a by-product of JT. I think...if anything...they benefited from each other. The year after Trace left, JT only got 9 sacks. He did become a better player overall. But the sacks fell off. Wally has already surpassed his total last year (9.5) and has continued to play well against the run. Wally also made impressive plays against Jon Ogden Sunday, including one clear whoopin.

The difference with JT from last year to this year seems to be from a pass rush standpoint. You don't see him using his inside swim move. You don't see him going inside that much, period. You don't see him beating guys with his hands. You don't see him flat beating a guy outside right off the ball. And this is all against 1-on-1 coverage (what I'm referring to).

He's still playing the run very well. But for whatever reason (be it personal choice or schematics), he charges upfield more often and is victimized by draws or quick runs to his side.

Again, he ain't playing THAT badly. Still a damn good DE. But he's not playing at the level he was last year. That said, we are seeing more quick passing than we have in years past.

Yeah JT doesn't make any inside moves. He relies too much on his speed this year.

We need to understand too that after a big year like that other teams are game-planning against the guy. Strahan hasn't come close to his sacks record since doing it.

But he could do a better job nonetheless...

Like all of you I think this defense came to play last Sunday. They know that they have to, from here on out...

Muck I agree with you on your points on JT. He is still a great player, I mean a hell of a player, that can turn it on and cause chaos in the opponents backfield in a sec.

GOOO FIIINZ

:cooldude:

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom
Ogunleye is really blossoming into the perfect complement for JT. Pretty to watch.

I thought JT was the complement for O-Gun. :tongue:

Originally posted by ckparrothead
... I also think [Ogun] is doing all those great things this season for the money. When the press talks to him it almost seems like he's applying a math formula to each sack, determining how much money he's going to get in the offseason because of it.

I'm not doubting you, but I haven't seen any quotes to this effect. Are you thinking of any specific stories? Again, I'm not asking for proof; I just want to see what he's been saying.

I agree, the defense did do a good job of shutting down Jamal. O-Gun is a very good DE, and just imagine what would happen if Taylor explodes in the same game as him. Hmmm, maybe against the Reds.... One thing tho' on my mind, is the way that Marion hasn't been tackling players right, giving up too many yards after the catch.

Back
Top Bottom