Postons misjudged market for T-Buck: from PFT | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Postons misjudged market for T-Buck: from PFT

Reaction score
I know there's a lot of PFT haters out there, but this story makes plenty of sense on why T-Buck will no longer be a Dolphin.

POSTONS MISJUDGED MARKET FOR T-BUCK?

Word around the league is that veteran cornerback Terrell Buckley will signing a one-year deal with the Patriots soon. It's a move that, as one league insider opined, represents another failure by agents Carl and Kevin Poston to properly gauge the market for one of their players.

Buckley spent 2001 and 2002 with the Patriots before re-joining the Dolphins for 2003. Previously, T-Buck spent five seasons with the Fins, from 1995 through 1999.

Per a league source, the Dolphins were serious about bringing Buckley back, but they were willing to offer only a one-year deal for the veteran minimum of $760,000. This specific device, which was adopted a couple of years ago, caps the cost of such contracts at $450,000.

But Buckley, through the Postons, wanted more. Miami held firm, signing Reggie Howard and drafting Will Poole.

And if Buckley thought there still was a chance to stay in Miami after the draft, the decision of the team to issue his number to Poole likely cemented his status.

So the end result is that Buckley will be forced to leave Miami, where he lives and where he wanted to play, for the same dollars that he turned down. A less obvious factor in all of this is that Buckley's $760,000 salary would have been exempt from state income tax in Florida.

"It's the same thing as with Ian Gold," a league source said. "The Postons overestimated their guy's value, and their client got burned."

What I want to know is if we signed Buckley, would we have still signed Howard? I know we were going after Buckley after Howard was signed but I wonder what would have happened if we signed Buckley before we signed Howard. I'd rather have Buckley at his salary than Howard at his salary.

This is an unfortunate situation. Buckley wanted to stay, and the team wanted him to stay. Basically his agents ****ed it up for him. Now Buckley gets to play for a team in our division instead. :(

Buckley over Howard. Howard is younger the Pat and Sam, and will replace one of them once he is groomed by two of the best. T-Buck is a great player, but he is not that young anymore. He made a few big plays, AKA the Manning INT at home, and the Bills INT td. The move for Howard was the better move.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Will Poole leapfrog Howard. Maybe not this year. But in the end, I think Poole will surpass Howard and be our starter opposite Surtain. Just a feeling.

LOL muck, I said that like a couple of weeks ago and my fellow board member mocked and laugh at me. If you saw the senior bowl then you saw excellence from this young man. He looks like a younger Sam Madison In louisville. Sam was a great corner and still can play at pro bowl level, I think his stock was low because of his school and the opponents they faced.

but that sucks because not only was t-buck argueably just as good he costs us like $3mil less money. and to top it all off, he is going to a division rival

sure, howard will probably be better in the long run but we are a team who is built to win right now and the window of oppurtunity is fast closing as our big stars are not getting any younger

People keep saying the window is closing fast. Well if it is that close to being closed dont you think we should have some guys for the future like Howard, Poole, our O-line, wr's, Ogunleye hopefully, jenkins etc.....I dont understand why our window is almost closed. There are only 2 positions I am worried about when it comes to age and thats LB and DT. If our window is open with the youngins we have now then it is no where close to being closed for the future.

Back
Top Bottom