Pre-Combine Board

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by j-off-her-doll, Feb 25, 2018.

1. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

So, DJ Moore >

2. Lovethefish

Lovethefish Well-Known Member

That's a nice wingspan

3. j-off-her-doll

DJ Moore > Courtland Sutton > Michael Gallup > DJ Chark

4. j-off-her-doll

So, I expected Gesicki to test well, but I didn't expect one of the best performances in Combine history. To me, he's not the most accomplished receiver, but so much of TE is developing elite physical talents, and he's certainly that. 1st/2nd. Also, shout out to Tyler Conklin, who is a pretty polished receiver. Not a burner, but he tested well.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    rickd13 and fininpsl like this.
  5. j-off-her-doll

Jeremy Reaves wasn't invited, but this is an impressive play vs a freak TE.

6. j-off-her-doll

7. j-off-her-doll

8. j-off-her-doll

9. j-off-her-doll

10. j-off-her-doll

11. j-off-her-doll

So far so good for the Top 4.

12. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

So Smith has a shoulder and a hammy? Not good

I think I would lean Edmunds over Smith- stiill like James though.

joenhre, MiamiMuss and j-off-her-doll like this.
  13. j-off-her-doll

Landry locked in his top-10 grade. Speed and burst/explosive power are solid, but his agility is his best trait, which is what we expected.

14. j-off-her-doll

We knew Phillips wasn't fast, but he in addition to his 42 reps, he jumped 32" in the vert and put up a 7.28 3-cone - better than Bradley Chubb. As expected, Taven Bryan destroyed the Combine.

15. j-off-her-doll

At 6'4 256!

16. j-off-her-doll

Slimm's guy with a brilliant performance.

17. j-off-her-doll

Vander Esch is killing this thing.

18. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek Finheaven VIP

Smith came in big enough and looked good before the injury. Vander Esch moved much better than I thought. I've been pretty hard on those two. 11 is still too rich for me - especially if super freak Edmunds is sitting there - but both of their futures are looking pretty bright.

Kiser showed he has the athleticism to cover. Jewell has an uphill battle after those numbers.

Moore came in way light (expected) and just looked decent. Didn't really help or hurt himself. I like his WILL potential in this D. Haven't heard anything awful about the neck unless I missed it. I'd love to get him in the 4th or 5th.

Bryan. Damn. That combine coupled with dominant tape ... is he an option if the board falls a certain way even if there isn't a glaring need? Can we afford to use 11 on a guy and wait for the return on investment? Snaps might be hard to come by the first season or 2 even if he can play a few different positions on the line. That's a tough one. He checks every box.

Feeling better about this draft after the last few days. Cool with being wrong about a guy here and there ... more talent means it's harder for the dolphins to **** it all up.

rickd13 and j-off-her-doll like this.
  19. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek Finheaven VIP

I've been pretty busy but I did manage to finish getting through the combine. I'm interested to see who you think fell and rose after watching. There's a few that I wouldn't draft altogether after watching them struggle.

McFadden flies off the page as someone who needs to make a safety switch if he has any hopes of an NFL future. Maybe even LB after watching him move. There's a few corners who are in the same boat ... plus there's a few safeties who aren't overly physical that had plenty of speed and athleticism to make the switch.

I don't see a ton of mention but James came in a little smaller than expected. A switch isn't out of the question for him at all.

I've said for a long time that Fitzpatrick is the dream and he killed it. I don't even care if corner isn't a massive need. He should be long gone but that's a no brainer.

Elliott did stumble a little. He should be there for our pick in the 2nd.

Still love Jackson and Davis as press options (Jackson looks to be scheme fluid) in our D. 2nd is on the table for them as well.

For me at 11 in no particular order:

Allen
    Fitzpatrick
    James (provided he isn't pigeon holed into a position)
    Edmunds
    Bryan
    Nelson (don't think it will happen but could do worse)

Darnold, Rosen, and Chubb will go top 5 but they'd obviously make the cut if not.

rickd13 and j-off-her-doll like this.
  20. j-off-her-doll

Draft Twitter so trash

21. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

How do you feel about Uchenna Nwosu from USC? 9.5 and 13 PD in his senior year. Just about every DB would kill to have 13 PD in one season but do you think he's a good fit?

Ozzy rules!!

j-off-her-doll likes this.
  22. j-off-her-doll

Don't think he's a great fit for Miami, but I like him pretty well. Like a lot of other players, he skipped agility drills. I thought he'd do well, but confirmation would be nice - given that he didn't jump well.

Also, I like Avery fine on Day 3. I was just making fun of the absurd statement.

Danny likes this.
  23. j-off-her-doll

I needed Fitzpatrick to test like an elite CB, and he didn't, so he's out of the top 10. Don't see it at FS for him. Still a 1st RD pick but not like a smaller Jalen Ramsey.

Agree that Elliott's time should make him available in the 2nd, but - agility drills pending - he's tested very similarly to Harrison Smith, who has been my comp for him. I'll likely drop him out of the top 10, but he's not leaving my top 20.

At 11, Smith, Edmunds, Vander Esch, Landry, Chubb, Davenport, Nelson, and James would be my top non-QB options.

Lots of DE's/pass rushers will drop significantly for me. Bad group with poor athleticism overall. Some CB's and OT's also took a big hit.

Not a great class.

rickd13 likes this.
  24. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

J-Off we have talked about Brian Womac before. You may be interested to know the only draft eligible edge rusher that was more efficient than Womac on a per snap basis was Shaquem Griffin.

It was Shaquem Griffin, Brian Womac, Marcus Davenport, Jeff Holland...all with pressure rates at 20% or better, which is insane.

There are some other guys like Easy Anyama, Olasunkanmi Adeniyi, and Ja'Von Rolland-Jones that are really prolific undersized low rated pass rushers like Womac. But what I like about Womac is that whether you pop on the tape of him against Stanford, Pittsburgh, or North Texas, you're going to get the same guy doing the same things. He's going to rush the hell out of the outside, force the quarterback to step up a lot, and if you try and block him in the backfield with a back or maybe with an offensive lineman on a wham block, it's going to be a mistake.

Then he mixes in that motor of his. I don't know if he's just afforded this ability because Rice was so active about their defensive rotations, or if he's just got a ton of stamina, but the guy runs all over the place. If you put a catapult on him and tracked how much distance at speed he covers per snap, the stamina might become more clear, but the guy is hustling everywhere.

Seems like a prototypical Patriots linebacker in the mold of a Kyle Van Noy.

j-off-her-doll likes this.
  25. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs UCF 13-0 Finheaven VIP Donator

I loved Kyle Van Noy coming out. I was surprised he didn't do that well in Detroit. Still hasn't turned out to be a hugely successful player.

Austin Tatious likes this.
  26. Dogbone34

Dogbone34 cowboy surfer

Assuming Miami can't make the move for one of the big three QB's (Rosen/Allen/Darnold), and Quinten Nelson is gone, Dolphins should go after Tremaine Edmunds or Derwin James at #11. If they are both gone, get the hey out for more picks.

As for Baker Mayfield, there's no such thing as "it factor" - I pass

27. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs UCF 13-0 Finheaven VIP Donator

No such thing as "it" factor? Then explain to me Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, Drew Brees, etc. Plenty of guys have come out of college with the tools to succeed but haven't.

Some guys simply perform when the pressure is on and elevate their team to success.

28. HarryBagpipe

HarryBagpipe Daddybutter Super Donator

Sounds like something a dan lebatard would say who would be the least qualified person in regards to the subject. There is absolutely a "will to win" characteristic in certain players or athletes that appears throughout all of sports.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Tailgun likes this.
  29. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Frankly I don't see why Miami wouldn't target Shaquem Griffin as high as the 2nd round.

They need a speed linebacker in the worst way. Unless they're willing to commit to Roquan Smith, Tremaine Edmunds, or Lorenzo Carter at #11 overall, the only speed linebackers they're going to have to choose from will be Jerome Baker, Malik Jefferson, Leon Jacobs, and Shaquem Griffin.

I think Shaquem Griffin dusts all of those guys on tape. When does the NFL ever let a guy with his dimensions (6'0" to 6'1" and roughly 230 lbs), with his speed (4.38), and his insane productivity...just slide through to the 3rd day?

Griffin rushed the passer 100 times on the left and 130 times on the right, and he pressured the passer at exactly the same rate from each side. His lack of a left hand didn't affect that. It also didn't cause him to rack up missed tackles. And he's got as many career interceptions (2) as Denzel Ward.

The biggest impediment is that his dimensions and college role don't match one another when you take him from college to the NFL level, and thus his value assessment will involve a lot of projection. But that's not anything that has stopped the NFL before. It's not as if he was a 100% pass rusher. He dropped back into coverage on nearly 50% of passing downs. Shedding blockers is shedding blockers, pass or run. He's physical as **** all. He's agile, fast, smart, and a play maker.

Not much real difference between he and Myles Jack; guess Jack had an extra hand, but also a bum knee.

The question is what exactly is the missing hand worth. Answer? Surprisingly not much. If you had a pro bowl linebacker and he broke his thumb and needed to wear a club, would you put in his backup, even if you felt the backup was a starter quality player? Answer is no. No team would do that. They keep the pro bowler in because the loss of one hand doesn't damage his on-field value enough to justify benching him for the backup. And yet that pro bowler would be used to two hands, and would feel the loss of his hand a hell of a lot more than a guy that has been without his hand since he was 4 years old.

So what really matters with Shaquem Griffin is not the one hand. It's whether you think he's a great player or not. If you think he's a great player with two hands, then you logically believe he's still a great player with only one.

I think Miami would have a lot of fun with Shaquem Griffin, blitzing him, dropping him, using his speed to keep a lid on running backs and mobile quarterbacks, etc. His speed would make an immediate impact on what was (and this is not hyperbole but a very literal truth) the slowest defense in the NFL last year.

30. ANMoore

ANMoore Well-Known Member

Yup. Mayfield can walk into the huddle and command respect and execution. It's a display of confidence and determination that not everyone has and it's contagious. Anyone who ever played football knows what I'm talking about

You just saw an entire season from someone running our offense who certainly does not have it

SCLSU Mud Dogs likes this.
  31. j-off-her-doll

Worth remembering.

rickd13 likes this.
  32. NoblePhin

NoblePhin Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

Griffin is definitely intriguing. He would definitely play off in our over front and has the range to cover rbs. I wouldnt mind him in the 2nd at all.

33. MiamiMuss

MiamiMuss A True Fan

Bring on Derwin James

34. Dogbone34

Dogbone34 cowboy surfer

my point is college and pros are night and day. until you prove it in the pros, you don't have "it" you don't have sh#t.

I do like Mayfield's attitude and I never watch Dan Lebatard.

35. Lovethefish

Out of all above backs mentioned, Gurleys years as GA were most dominant imo

36. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

Gurley was the most gifted back in my opinion, but Elliott's years were more dominant. Gurley was hurt a lot his sophomore and junior years and missed 10 games over those 2 seasons.

The stretch of games where Elliott ran over Wisconsin, Alabama and Oregon at the tail end of his sophomore year to the tune of 220, 230, and 246 yards back-to-back-to-back, and carried over into his 1800+ yard Junior year was easily the most dominant stretch any back has had in recent years. Elliott was incredible.

j-off-her-doll and Lovethefish like this.
  37. j-off-her-doll

I'm sure I've missed some, and I'll be going back over the resulted, and updating for Pro Day results, but these are the guys I moved up or down because of the Combine. Some of the down guys are going to take big falls (particularly pass rushers and CB's).

Tremaine Edmunds
    Leighton Vander Esch
    Malik Jefferson
    Justin Reid
    Taven Bryan
    DJ Moore
    Courtland Sutton
    Michael Gallup
    DJ Chark
    Denzel Ward
    Nick Chubb
    Royce Freeman
    Da'Ron Payne
    Sam Hubbard
    Genard Avery
    Micah Kiser
    Joel Iyiegbuniwe
    Matthew Thomas
    Oren Burks
    Lorenzo Carter
    Perry Nickerson
    Joshua Kalu
    Justin Jackson
    Ryan Nall
    Allen Lazard
    Tre'Quan Smith
    Cedrick Wilson

Down

Minkah Fitzpatrick
    Jamarco Jones
    Olasunkanmi Adeniyi
    Dorance Armstrong
    Orlando Brown
    Chukwuma Okorafor
    Uchenna Nwosu
    Christian Sam
    Kameron Kelly
    Arden Key
    Armani Watts
    Tim Settle
    Hercules Mata'afa
    Darius Leonard
    Tarvarus McFadden
    Jamarcus King
    Sean Chandler
    Auden Tate

38. Lovethefish

I would hesitate dropping Minkah.
    Given size 6-1 and speed 4.46- football IQ- productivity- coached by one best DB coach in football history- intelligence off charts- versatility off charts.
    Just looks like a 10 year player with multiple pro bowls.
    That's top 5 pick

39. j-off-her-doll

He's smart, but his instincts aren't high-end. His athleticism doesn't indicate an elite CB, and you're wasting your time with him at Safety. He's good, but I don't see special, and I def don't see top 5. Top 10 is too early for me, and he probably falls in the 15-25 range.

40. j-off-her-doll

Strong Pro Day for Amari Coleman!