Pre-Combine Board | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pre-Combine Board

Assuming Miami can't make the move for one of the big three QB's (Rosen/Allen/Darnold), and Quinten Nelson is gone, Dolphins should go after Tremaine Edmunds or Derwin James at #11. If they are both gone, get the hey out for more picks.

As for Baker Mayfield, there's no such thing as "it factor" - I pass

Assuming Miami can't make the move for one of the big three QB's (Rosen/Allen/Darnold), and Quinten Nelson is gone, Dolphins should go after Tremaine Edmunds or Derwin James at #11. If they are both gone, get the hey out for more picks.

No such thing as "it" factor? Then explain to me Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, Drew Brees, etc. Plenty of guys have come out of college with the tools to succeed but haven't.

Some guys simply perform when the pressure is on and elevate their team to success.

Sounds like something a dan lebatard would say who would be the least qualified person in regards to the subject. There is absolutely a "will to win" characteristic in certain players or athletes that appears throughout all of sports.

Last edited:
Frankly I don't see why Miami wouldn't target Shaquem Griffin as high as the 2nd round.

They need a speed linebacker in the worst way. Unless they're willing to commit to Roquan Smith, Tremaine Edmunds, or Lorenzo Carter at #11 overall, the only speed linebackers they're going to have to choose from will be Jerome Baker, Malik Jefferson, Leon Jacobs, and Shaquem Griffin.

I think Shaquem Griffin dusts all of those guys on tape. When does the NFL ever let a guy with his dimensions (6'0" to 6'1" and roughly 230 lbs), with his speed (4.38), and his insane productivity...just slide through to the 3rd day?

Griffin rushed the passer 100 times on the left and 130 times on the right, and he pressured the passer at exactly the same rate from each side. His lack of a left hand didn't affect that. It also didn't cause him to rack up missed tackles. And he's got as many career interceptions (2) as Denzel Ward.

The biggest impediment is that his dimensions and college role don't match one another when you take him from college to the NFL level, and thus his value assessment will involve a lot of projection. But that's not anything that has stopped the NFL before. It's not as if he was a 100% pass rusher. He dropped back into coverage on nearly 50% of passing downs. Shedding blockers is shedding blockers, pass or run. He's physical as **** all. He's agile, fast, smart, and a play maker.

Not much real difference between he and Myles Jack; guess Jack had an extra hand, but also a bum knee.

The question is what exactly is the missing hand worth. Answer? Surprisingly not much. If you had a pro bowl linebacker and he broke his thumb and needed to wear a club, would you put in his backup, even if you felt the backup was a starter quality player? Answer is no. No team would do that. They keep the pro bowler in because the loss of one hand doesn't damage his on-field value enough to justify benching him for the backup. And yet that pro bowler would be used to two hands, and would feel the loss of his hand a hell of a lot more than a guy that has been without his hand since he was 4 years old.

So what really matters with Shaquem Griffin is not the one hand. It's whether you think he's a great player or not. If you think he's a great player with two hands, then you logically believe he's still a great player with only one.

I think Miami would have a lot of fun with Shaquem Griffin, blitzing him, dropping him, using his speed to keep a lid on running backs and mobile quarterbacks, etc. His speed would make an immediate impact on what was (and this is not hyperbole but a very literal truth) the slowest defense in the NFL last year.

No such thing as "it" factor? Then explain to me Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, Drew Brees, etc. Plenty of guys have come out of college with the tools to succeed but haven't.

Some guys simply perform when the pressure is on and elevate their team to success.

Yup. Mayfield can walk into the huddle and command respect and execution. It's a display of confidence and determination that not everyone has and it's contagious. Anyone who ever played football knows what I'm talking about

You just saw an entire season from someone running our offense who certainly does not have it

Griffin is definitely intriguing. He would definitely play off in our over front and has the range to cover rbs. I wouldnt mind him in the 2nd at all.

Sounds like something a dan lebatard would say who would be the least qualified person in regards to the subject. There is absolutely a "will to win" characteristic in certain players or athletes that appears throughout all of sports.

my point is college and pros are night and day. until you prove it in the pros, you don't have "it" you don't have sh#t.

I do like Mayfield's attitude and I never watch Dan Lebatard.

That's the biggest weakness I've always seen on the field with Barkley. I said it back during the season, but it's what keeps him out of the Gurley, Elliott, Fournette category of backs. He doesn't run with the power or tackle breaking ability they did.

I remember Todd Gurley averaging over 5 yards/carry on runs where he was hit in the backfield. Insane.
Out of all above backs mentioned, Gurleys years as GA were most dominant imo

Out of all above backs mentioned, Gurleys years as GA were most dominant imo

Gurley was the most gifted back in my opinion, but Elliott's years were more dominant. Gurley was hurt a lot his sophomore and junior years and missed 10 games over those 2 seasons.

The stretch of games where Elliott ran over Wisconsin, Alabama and Oregon at the tail end of his sophomore year to the tune of 220, 230, and 246 yards back-to-back-to-back, and carried over into his 1800+ yard Junior year was easily the most dominant stretch any back has had in recent years. Elliott was incredible.

I'm sure I've missed some, and I'll be going back over the resulted, and updating for Pro Day results, but these are the guys I moved up or down because of the Combine. Some of the down guys are going to take big falls (particularly pass rushers and CB's).

Tremaine Edmunds
Leighton Vander Esch
Malik Jefferson
Justin Reid
Taven Bryan
DJ Moore
Courtland Sutton
Michael Gallup
DJ Chark
Denzel Ward
Nick Chubb
Royce Freeman
Da'Ron Payne
Sam Hubbard
Genard Avery
Micah Kiser
Joel Iyiegbuniwe
Matthew Thomas
Oren Burks
Lorenzo Carter
Perry Nickerson
Joshua Kalu
Justin Jackson
Ryan Nall
Allen Lazard
Tre'Quan Smith
Cedrick Wilson

Down

Minkah Fitzpatrick
Jamarco Jones
Olasunkanmi Adeniyi
Dorance Armstrong
Orlando Brown
Chukwuma Okorafor
Uchenna Nwosu
Christian Sam
Kameron Kelly
Arden Key
Armani Watts
Tim Settle
Hercules Mata'afa
Darius Leonard
Tarvarus McFadden
Jamarcus King
Sean Chandler
Auden Tate

I would hesitate dropping Minkah.
Given size 6-1 and speed 4.46- football IQ- productivity- coached by one best DB coach in football history- intelligence off charts- versatility off charts.
Just looks like a 10 year player with multiple pro bowls.
That's top 5 pick

I would hesitate dropping Minkah.
Given size 6-1 and speed 4.46- football IQ- productivity- coached by one best DB coach in football history- intelligence off charts- versatility off charts.
Just looks like a 10 year player with multiple pro bowls.
That's top 5 pick

He's smart, but his instincts aren't high-end. His athleticism doesn't indicate an elite CB, and you're wasting your time with him at Safety. He's good, but I don't see special, and I def don't see top 5. Top 10 is too early for me, and he probably falls in the 15-25 range.

Back
Top Bottom