Pre-Combine Board | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pre-Combine Board

He's smart, but his instincts aren't high-end. His athleticism doesn't indicate an elite CB, and you're wasting your time with him at Safety. He's good, but I don't see special, and I def don't see top 5. Top 10 is too early for me, and he probably falls in the 15-25 range.
Other than DJ Clark he can run with any slot WR in this draft.
Not sure what you mean by wasting time with him at Safety. To me he can manup any TE in the league, eat up slot, play single high, blitz, and run your Def. Clean as a whistle too. Sign me up.
But the beauty is just as rest of these guys.. we shall see.

Other than DJ Clark he can run with any slot WR in this draft.
Not sure what you mean by wasting time with him at Safety. To me he can manup any TE in the league, eat up slot, play single high, blitz, and run your Def. Clean as a whistle too. Sign me up.
But the beauty is just as rest of these guys.. we shall see.

He's 6'0 with 31 1/4" hands. I don't want him matching up with TE's, and I don't want to spend a top-10 pick on a slot CB. Slot CB might be his best position, but he'll probably get drafted to play outside - or at least with the plan to transition him outside, because a team will have a hard time recouping 1st-RD value from a slot. With regard to Safety, don't see high-end instincts. To be a great Safety, you have to play with great anticipation, and Fitzpatrick (like James) is just pretty good in this area. It's the main reason I felt he needed to test like an elite athlete (Ramsey, Lattimore) to warrant a top-10 pick. I felt the same for James, but he is an elite athlete, who you can trust to whoop someone physically.

With RB's and WR's, I want to see them run fast, show burst in the 10 and jumps, or show really good agility for their size. I think it's a little similar for LB, but raw speed, relative to their size, is more important for them, with the way teams spread the field.

I agree about pass rushers and DB's. Pass rushers and CB's are typically the best athletes on the field. With Safeties, I think it's more similar to RB and WR. They need to be decent all-around athletes and to have a good trait or two, but anticipation and instincts seem to go further. Anything over 4.60 is a red flag/knock, though.

Chubb is a great call. I agree that if he shows burst like he did in high school, top-50 is on the table. I always loved his game. I made a list this morning, and I didn't focus as much on RB or WR, but of those positions, I also really want to see Penny, Freeman, Kelly, Johnson, Walton (though, I won't hold a bad performance against him), and Adams at RB, and I want to see Sutton, Gallup, Moore, Ishmael, and Wilson at WR. I left of Ronald Jones II, because I feel confident that he'll test well. This is the list I made earlier (not concerned with Bradley Chubb):

OT

Connor Williams
Jamarco Jones
Orlando Brown
Chukwuma Okorafor

Pass-rush OLB

Harold Landry
Marcus Davenport
Olasunkanmi Adeniyi
Dorance Armstrong
Josh Sweat
Obo Okoronkwo
Uchenna Nwosu

Stand-up LB

Roquan Smith
Tremaine Edmunds
Leighton Vander Esch
Malik Jefferson
Christian Sam

CB

Derwin James
Minkah Fitzpatrick
Carlton Davis
Isaiah Oliver
Jordan Thomas
Jaire Alexander
Darius Phillips
Mike Hughes
Denzel Ward
DJ Reed
Duke Dawson
MJ Stewart
Jalen Davis
Arrion Springs

Where is your post combine draft board? I am really looking forward to seeing it. You do a great job with the draft stuff along with Slimm.

Where is your post combine draft board? I am really looking forward to seeing it. You do a great job with the draft stuff along with Slimm.

Thank you, rickd13! I hope to have it sorted and ready to post this weekend. While there are some Pro Days remaining, and numbers not yet posted from completed Pro Days (still waiting on Derwin James' 3-cone, for example), there shouldn't be too many adjustments to make.

Your top 3 picks for Miami given following board:

4 QBs gone.
Barkley, Chubb, Davenport, Edmunds, Nelson, Minkah, Ward gone.

That couldn't be possible. That's 11 guys. One of those guys you have as gone would still be available.
Goodells hatred of Miami now allows a cuttsie for the team drafting just after Miami. All 11 of those guys will be gone.

Roquan Smith, Derwin James, Leighton Vander Esch

Is that your order of preference or what you believe Miam's order of preference would be? I would have thought your order would be the complete opposite order with LVE first , James, second and Smith last. Of course there would be one other guy still available from the list of players the other post had in it, because he had 11 players listed but obviously Miami picks eleventh

Is that your order of preference or what you believe Miam's order of preference would be? I would have thought your order would be the complete opposite order with LVE first , James, second and Smith last. Of course there would be one other guy still available from the list of players the other post had in it, because he had 11 players listed but obviously Miami picks eleventh

Right now, it's my order of preference, and it probably will be on draft day. I've been high on Vander Esch since I caught up on him in December (said he was top-20 back then), but I do have Roquan Smith as LB1 and comfortably in the Top 10 overall. I have James Top 10 as a CB/match-up piece. Vander Esch probably ends up in my Top 10 (not counting QB's), too, but I have him below those guys. While the class is generally weak, it's really strong at LB. Vander Esch is a big part of that. People are sleeping on Jefferson, too.

If we end up with a Smith or James RD1 and either (a) one of the TE prospects of (b) a FS or CB that dropped we should be very happy.

Worth remembering.

To me this is so important and one of the biggest reasons I would almost never draft a running back in the first round regardless of how good a prospect they are. It is just too easy to find more than adequate production from guys not selected in round one.

To me this is so important and one of the biggest reasons I would almost never draft a running back in the first round regardless of how good a prospect they are. It is just too easy to find more than adequate production from guys not selected in round one.

Exactly right. Because Barkley is such an exceptional receiver, I think he's worth a 1st, but without that element, he wouldn't be even a consideration that early.

J-Off we have talked about Brian Womac before. You may be interested to know the only draft eligible edge rusher that was more efficient than Womac on a per snap basis was Shaquem Griffin.

It was Shaquem Griffin, Brian Womac, Marcus Davenport, Jeff Holland...all with pressure rates at 20% or better, which is insane.

There are some other guys like Easy Anyama, Olasunkanmi Adeniyi, and Ja'Von Rolland-Jones that are really prolific undersized low rated pass rushers like Womac. But what I like about Womac is that whether you pop on the tape of him against Stanford, Pittsburgh, or North Texas, you're going to get the same guy doing the same things. He's going to rush the hell out of the outside, force the quarterback to step up a lot, and if you try and block him in the backfield with a back or maybe with an offensive lineman on a wham block, it's going to be a mistake.

Then he mixes in that motor of his. I don't know if he's just afforded this ability because Rice was so active about their defensive rotations, or if he's just got a ton of stamina, but the guy runs all over the place. If you put a catapult on him and tracked how much distance at speed he covers per snap, the stamina might become more clear, but the guy is hustling everywhere.

Seems like a prototypical Patriots linebacker in the mold of a Kyle Van Noy.

CK, you get any word on Womac's Pro Day? Can't find that info anywhere.

Happy Easter everyone!

Back
Top Bottom