Predict our record next year | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Predict our record next year

FO’s around the league (particularly Pro Personnel) use two different levels of “blue chip” players.

A top or high blue is a perennial all pro player. Top 2-3 player at their respective position. Starter on a SB winning team.

A bottom or low blue is a perennial pro bowl player (subjective) and occasional all pro. Going to have 2-3 years where they are at the top of their position, and a few where they are closer to top 5-7 at their position. Regardless, a starter at any position on a SB winning team.

TL;DR: X is a blue chip player. We need more X’s, particularly without the (when healthy) designation
I doubt NFL eval ppl take whether or not a player has been on a SB team imto account at all.

I doubt NFL eval ppl take whether or not a player has been on a SB team imto account at all.
I didn’t say they are required to have played on a SB team.

Personnel guys differentiate “starters” by the caliber of teams they can start on. Simply saying a guy is a “starter” is too broad. Is he a starter on a 4-12 team, or is he good enough to start on a team that’s competing for championships?

Blue level players start on any team

These predictions are dependent on whether or not Tua has improved any. 9-7...8-8 if DCs have a tell on Tua.

We play the Bills twice...the Ravens...Saints...Bucs...and Titans (leaning toward the loss)

The Colts (depending on the QB) and Falcons are coin tosses.

This was very popular during the offseason last year. We just went 10-6 and of course right now the question is if we really have or otherwise need a QB to build around but everyone knows we are getting our wins next year regardless. I hope for 14-3, expect a bare minimum of 12-5 and for anything under that I would be pretty pissed. POs should be expected from this team at this point.
I think the time to ask this question is after the draft and free agency

we are a candidate for regression as we overachieved this year. however. tua can buck that trend if he improves his overall health, play strength and confidence in the offense. i think if we end up 10-6 again that would be very good. highly unlikely that doesnt make the playoffs again, especially with 7 teams.

our biggest issue is the afc is stacked with young great qbs. mahomes, jackson, and allen will be very hard to beat. throw in watson if he ends up on a different team or houston gets their stuff together. even mayfield is a pretty darn good player. can tua go head to head with these qbs? thats really the question. i dont think so based on what i saw year 1 but am willing to give him a chance with better health being the key and of course better weapons, better play calling, etc.

8-8

Really doesn't matter the identity of the team or players or coach. If I see 5 wins followed by 10 I'll say 8 (or thereabouts) the following season.

As I've mentioned, when there is a shift of 3+ victories either direction from one season to the next, the following year bounces toward the prior number roughly 2/3 of the time. This season I believe it was 9-3.

However, one of the losses was the closest parallel to the Dolphins' current situation. Buffalo went from 6 wins in 2018 to 10 wins in 2019 and obviously 13 wins in 2020

Maybe not so parallel in other areas

Here's what I'll predict: The defense will take a step back, therefore the offense needs to take a step forward.

If the offense does not take that step forward, Miami will not win 10 games again.
There's analytics that agree with this. We're #1 in takeaways and great Yards per point and relatively poor yards per play defense. These tend to regress to the mean. However our offense was #8 success rate and bottom 3 in big plays. These types of offenses tend to trend upwards. I think our O was closer to the D than most think, although still worse.

Those are stats. If we make our draft and cap room pay off, we can have a much improved offense and even defense, which should give 10-6 to 12-4.

These predictions are dependent on whether or not Tua has improved any. 9-7...8-8 if DCs have a tell on Tua.

We play the Bills twice...the Ravens...Saints...Bucs...and Titans (leaning toward the loss)

The Colts (depending on the QB) and Falcons are coin tosses.
The Saints of next year may bear little resemblance to this year's squad. I think they'll be in deep rebuild mode. Likewise, Brady might move on from Tampa.

Below is the teams we play but NOT THE ORDER which is to be determined later. No idea where we play the G-Men yet. I assume if it's a road game this year then our 17th opponent will be a home game in '22. Sound about right? Looks like it's vs. a team that finishes in the other conference in the same spot as us too. (1st, 2nd etc) Taking a stab at the schedule....

2021 Miami Dolphins

Week 1 at Buffalo - LOSS
Week 2 Houston - WIN
Week 3 Atlanta - WIN
Week 4 at New Orleans - LOSS
Week 5 at New England - LOSS
Week 6 New York - WIN
Week 7 at New York Giants - WIN
Week 8 Carolina - WIN
Week 9 BYE
Week 10 at Tampa Bay - LOSS
Week 11 at Las Vegas - WIN
Week 12 Buffalo - LOSS
Week 13 at New York - WIN
Week 14 Baltimore - LOSS
Week 15 at Tennessee - LOSS
Week 16 Indianapolis - LOSS
Week 17 at Jacksonville - WIN
Week 18 New England - WIN

Result: 9-8

Floor: 6-11
Ceiling: 12-5

Notes: We have some money to spend and some nice assets to utilize so we should get better. The salary cap will come down and speculation is maybe A LOT so that will affect our opponents prospects for next year too. (no kidding!) :rolleyes:

Some tough calls here. The Pats won't stay what they currently are - but we don't know who their QB will be? They should have some money to spend too. I think they uptick a ways as they'll improve their roster but again - the QB?

Jets and Jags will be improved. New Orleans stands to be worse and could be A LOT worse with Brees gone and the cap collapsing their roster a good amount. We could go in there and steal that one. Ditto Tampa Bay.

So a 9-8 prediction with a hell of a lot to be determined.

8-8

Really doesn't matter the identity of the team or players or coach. If I see 5 wins followed by 10 I'll say 8 (or thereabouts) the following season.

As I've mentioned, when there is a shift of 3+ victories either direction from one season to the next, the following year bounces toward the prior number roughly 2/3 of the time. This season I believe it was 9-3.

However, one of the losses was the closest parallel to the Dolphins' current situation. Buffalo went from 6 wins in 2018 to 10 wins in 2019 and obviously 13 wins in 2020

Maybe not so parallel in other areas

coincides with josh allens ascension in level of play

For all the posters on this thread who are complaining that “there is no way of knowing”:

If you feel that way, why are you participating in the thread?

Yeesh, let the OP have his conversation in peace.

12 wins

And to make matters even worse you are giving us a game for free with your bare minimum of wins. I'm sorry sir, but you will be among the most disappointed.

We are bound to be the first team to Win 17 games in the regular season. It will be called the phantom undefeated team.
I don't get what you're trying to say here, unless you think there will only be 16 regular season games in 2021?

I'm going to wait until we are nearly done with preseason before I present my positive homer based and, based on last year, VERY PROBABLE prediction.

Yes, I am rubbing it in. I'm certainly entitled to after all the Lemming juice I had to put up with last year.

Some of you are just going to have to hold your water on this one. - LOL

Back
Top Bottom