Predicted Master Plan | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Predicted Master Plan

TTRON

Active Roster
Reaction score
Finally the Dolphins are in win now mode. No longer needing to overly save cap, get picks, develop youth, etc.

Prediction on Grier plan. Remember he is a true draft guy, that’s his roots. So the idea that he is going to try to fill all the weaknesses of the roster in upcoming draft is NOT a true draft guys way of drafting. He knows and has said it repeatedly that is where so many mistakes are made. Missed picks (busts) are extremely common, he wants to lessen this by aiming for quality players over position of needs. Obviously he is aware of positions he wants and will try but that has never been his top priority. The way around this is to remember that the draft is only one facet of building a roster. Trades, FA signings, picking up released veterans, especially teams looking to rebuild-will be used.

Back to draft- He will pick best available if no other player(even at a position of need) is close to quality of player. Also in today’s NFL with cap, not every position will be filled with a star. Look at how they built defense! Secondary they choose to build into a major strength! Instead of overly trying to make every unit a beast. The one strength makes every other position better than it actually is. Look for the same approach on offense. Thus it is likely Grier wants to make Oline into a beast especialy given he can actually accomplish this due to having third pick and who likely will be available. Thus Sewell being the pick (if Grier views him as the best in years). This would reasonably raise the oline from good to great. By so doing every position on offense, every one, becomes better than what they are. Also you protect your main investment, a small quarterback who can get hurt more easily. Also Tua‘s passing percentage when not under duress was already among best in league even in his shaky rookie year. Then they will ‘try’ and draft skill players left and right (Moving up and down in draft).

FA/TRADES- Look for them to get one excellent receiver, who gets separation as priority. Combine that with a young receiver in draft. Look for them to trade Parker (who struggles to seperate) if they get a receiver this way to offset financial cost and pick up a mid round pick. Then one pass rusher that is aged and looking to get out of a rebuild situation.

Thats my prediction of what he will do.

Finally the Dolphins are in win now mode. No longer needing to overly save cap, get picks, develop youth, etc.

Prediction on Grier plan. Remember he is a true draft guy, that’s his roots. So the idea that he is going to try to fill all the weaknesses of the roster in upcoming draft is NOT a true draft guys way of drafting. He knows and has said it repeatedly that is where so many mistakes are made. Missed picks (busts) are extremely common, he wants to lessen this by aiming for quality players over position of needs. Obviously he is aware of positions he wants and will try but that has never been his top priority. The way around this is to remember that the draft is only one facet of building a roster. Trades, FA signings, picking up released veterans, especially teams looking to rebuild-will be used.

Back to draft- He will pick best available if no other player(even at a position of need) is close to quality of player. Also in today’s NFL with cap, not every position will be filled with a star. Look at how they built defense! Secondary they choose to build into a major strength! Instead of overly trying to make every unit a beast. The one strength makes every other position better than it actually is. Look for the same approach on offense. Thus it is likely Grier wants to make Oline into a beast especialy given he can actually accomplish this due to having third pick and who likely will be available. Thus Sewell being the pick (if Grier views him as the best in years). This would reasonably raise the oline from good to great. By so doing every position on offense, every one, becomes better than what they are. Also you protect your main investment, a small quarterback who can get hurt more easily. Also Tua‘s passing percentage when not under duress was already among best in league even in his shaky rookie year. Then they will ‘try’ and draft skill players left and right (Moving up and down in draft).

FA/TRADES- Look for them to get one excellent receiver, who gets separation as priority. Combine that with a young receiver in draft. Look for them to trade Parker (who struggles to seperate) if they get a receiver this way to offset financial cost and pick up a mid round pick. Then one pass rusher that is aged and looking to get out of a rebuild situation.

win mode and this shoudn't be exclusive. if you need an example, watch the 2021 Saints off-season

No offense, but to get a feel for your prejudice, is your ideal draft Sewell at #3?

That out of the way, Grier's history in Miami is largely drafting for need. And he gives preference to Flo's opinion, not a philosophy. If Flo wants two WR's R1, I don't expect Grier to draft a CB because he's a "quality" player.

I'll give you the "pick best available if no other player (even at a position of need) is close to quality of player" as long as 1) Flo signs off, and, 2) trading down isn't an option. OTOH, at #3 Miami will have a number of very good options at positions of need and likely R1/pick 2 and both R2 picks, so I don't expect "no other player is close."

I don't expect Miami to target an "excellent" WR through FA/Trade. TBF, I'm equating "excellent" with high priced. If my interpretation isn't correct, we may agree. For now, my inclination is Parker stays.

I expect Flo/Grier/staff to sit down, come up with a strategy, and I expect Grier to stay within that strategy. For now, I expect no major trades (unless a Tunsil-type is offered) nor any high-priced FAs. I expect 2-3 FAs who could start, but are not expensive. Maybe LB/Edge/WR. wouldn't be surprised at DT. I see no chance at QB R1. I'm inclined against OT at #3, but that's dependent on how they view potential of '20 rookies, so I'm not locked in to that. All this depends on how the NFL handles the '21 cap. That could ruin/enhance anyone's predictions

win mode and this shoudn't be exclusive. if you need an example, watch the 2021 Saints off-season
No offense, but to get a feel for your prejudice, is your ideal draft Sewell at #3?

That out of the way, Grier's history in Miami is largely drafting for need. And he gives preference to Flo's opinion, not a philosophy. If Flo wants two WR's R1, I don't expect Grier to draft a CB because he's a "quality" player.

I'll give you the "pick best available if no other player (even at a position of need) is close to quality of player" as long as 1) Flo signs off, and, 2) trading down isn't an option. OTOH, at #3 Miami will have a number of very good options at positions of need and likely R1/pick 2 and both R2 picks, so I don't expect "no other player is close."

I don't expect Miami to target an "excellent" WR through FA/Trade. TBF, I'm equating "excellent" with high priced. If my interpretation isn't correct, we may agree. For now, my inclination is Parker stays.

I expect Flo/Grier/staff to sit down, come up with a strategy, and I expect Grier to stay within that strategy. For now, I expect no major trades (unless a Tunsil-type is offered) nor any high-priced FAs. I expect 2-3 FAs who could start, but are not expensive. Maybe LB/Edge/WR. wouldn't be surprised at DT. I see no chance at QB R1. I'm inclined against OT at #3, but that's dependent on how they view potential of '20 rookies, so I'm not locked in to that. All this depends on how the NFL handles the '21 cap. That could ruin/enhance anyone's predictions
Prejudice. Interesting choice of words. Being we live in a world where no one seems to think they are prejudice and yet many are(more like we all are in some way), I can understand why you may think so . Of course my entire thing was on not what I’m hoping for just guessing what Grier will do. But since many pepole in the world today cannot seem to speak without a personal hidden agenda I can also see why you think every one is the same....then again I think they call that prejudice.....Obviously he will have multiple plans, and will adapt as he goes. True he is unlikely to draft a cb so there is a limit to draft board, however the line is not presently a strength. I will root for the team, whatever direction they choose.

We have to get Davanta Smith @3. He's Jerry Rice reborn except if possible better. After that land Najee Harris, trade up, cheat, do what you've got to do to get this TD machine on the Dolphins. Both are extra special talents and we need both. Then teams will fear us. I think I'm watching the Godfather too much lately! After that pick BPA.

Prejudice. Interesting choice of words. Being we live in a world where no one seems to think they are prejudice and yet many are(more like we all are in some way), I can understand why you may think so . Of course my entire thing was on not what I’m hoping for just guessing what Grier will do. But since many pepole in the world today cannot seem to speak without a personal hidden agenda I can also see why you think every one is the same....then again I think they call that prejudice.....Obviously he will have multiple plans, and will adapt as he goes. True he is unlikely to draft a cb so there is a limit to draft board, however the line is not presently a strength. I will root for the team, whatever direction they choose.

Don't focus on the loaded definition of 'prejudice. In a football game, I'm prejudiced in favor of the Dolphins. In a restaurant, I'm prejudiced against sushi. I was asking only if you had decided, prior to posting, if your preference was an OT (Sewell). Affects you're predictions.

We have to get Davanta Smith @3. He's Jerry Rice reborn except if possible better. After that land Najee Harris, trade up, cheat, do what you've got to do to get this TD machine on the Dolphins. Both are extra special talents and we need both. Then teams will fear us. I think I'm watching the Godfather too much lately! After that pick BPA.
so hes possibly better than not only the greatest wr receiver ever but arguably the greatest football player ever? Grounded assessment

I think every teams plans will be predicated on the salary cap situation. If it drops 25 teams will be in trouble. Miami is in a difficult spot, if it drops to the rumored $176m. They'd need to cut some salary, inorder to sign anyone of any kind of significance.

Grier himself has mentioned his desire to have at the very least 10 draft picks in every draft. So the expectation is he'll make moves to ensure he is able to have flexibility in every draft.

The point is, inspite of having a plan or plans and a vision, there isn't any clear way of knowing what Miami is thinking or going to do.

Eventually it will unfold before our eyes, just like the surprises Grier gave us by trading away anyone who he could get something for. No one saw that coming. Whatever he's got up his sleeve this year, is impossible to know.

The Dolphins have been in win now mode since the day that Flores became the head coach. Yet Ross was very clear when he announced the decision to completely rebuild the team that his goal is to build a team that will compete at a high level for several years and not build a team that will be great one year and then go back to mediocrity the next year.

I think they will continue to build through the draft and add a player or two at positions of need. Their goal for next year is obviously to win the SB because that should be the goal of every team in the NFL. Yet most fans of the Dolphins will be happy to see the Dolphins continue to improve and actually make the playoffs. I don’t think the Dolphins feel anymore pressure to “win now” than they have felt since the first day they showed up and Flores was their new head coach.

I like smith but his detail body does scare me a bit. I won’t cry if we pass and will cheer if we take him preferably at a bit up from 3 though.

Back
Top Bottom