Predicting The Dolphins 2018 Win Total | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Predicting The Dolphins 2018 Win Total

Preseason 4-0
Regular Season 0-16

I will loathe this team this year. All these 10+ win predictions are nuts. Your optimism is great, no offense intended here, not a personal attack, but please stop being delusional. This team is worse than last year; even with a healthy RT. Here’s my actual picks. No I don’t actually think they’ll end up 4-0 or 0-16....

Fins come out of the gate against a team taking the leap as one of the wild card teams in a loss to TN.

Fins go on to finish 1-3 the 1st qtr with a win over NY.

Pressure leads to intense focus and Fins come out the 2nd half of the year winning 2 of 4 for a total of 3 wins.

That focus, hope and motivation lead to 3 wins in the 3rd qtr of the season and are now at 6-6.

Schedule just too tough to keep this train rolling and finish the last 4 games with 2 wins and an overall 8-8 record.

Gase keeps his job but Tannenbaum gets $&!/ canned. Tannenbaum is the root of all evel doing in Miami. My optimism grows exponentially as Gase leads Miami to the playoffs in 2019.

Last edited:
Preseason 4-0
Regular Season 0-16

I will loathe this team this year. All these 10+ win predictions are nuts. Your optimism is great, no offense intended here, not a personal attack, but please stop being delusional. This team is worse than last year; even with a healthy RT. Here’s my actual picks. No I don’t actually think they’ll end up 4-0 or 0-16....

Fins come out of the gate against a team taking the leap as one of the wild card teams in a loss to TN.

Fins go on to finish 1-3 the 1st qtr with a win over NY.

Pressure leads to intense focus and Fins come out the 2nd half of the year winning 2 of 4 for a total of 3 wins.

That focus, hope and motivation lead to 3 wins in the 3rd qtr of the season and are now at 6-6.

Schedule just too tough to keep this train rolling and finish the last 4 games with 2 wins and an overall 8-8 record.

Gase keeps his job but Tannenbaum gets $&!/ canned. Tannenbaum is the root of all evel doing in Miami. My optimism grows exponentially as Gase leads Miami to the playoffs in 2019.

bundle of joy you are

8-8 isn't a bad prection, though.

i mean i think our baseline is 8-8 with some room either way depending on tannehill's ability to take the next step or as some would argue simply pick up where he left off.

bundle of joy you are

8-8 isn't a bad prection, though.

i mean i think our baseline is 8-8 with some room either way depending on tannehill's ability to take the next step or as some would argue simply pick up where he left off.

Lmao

This board is typically full of realists, but I've been seeing a lot of people predicting 9-10 wins with a wild card birth. That leaves me hopeful, but I still only see this being a 5 win team.

When online sports betting opens up for NJ, I really want to put down some cash on Fins over, I just don’t see this team getting less than 7 wins

I like Mud Dogs thought out post...

Many posters are predicting the Dolphins success/failure based on their outlook but I never see any real comparisons to the teams they are playing...I see a lot of what we have done to make us a better team but never what the upcoming opponent has done that makes them that much better than us

Some posters on this board even believe we will be worse off than last season even though we have....
Improved the coaching
Improved the OLine
Improved the offense overall
Improved the QB
Improved the defense overall
Improved the depth
….AND are entering the season with a better understanding of the scheme by the players

Have the teams we will be facing REALLY done more than we have this off season to improve over last year?
Are the teams we will be facing sooooo unbeatable?.... (from some posters it sounds like we will face perennial champions week in and out)

We have everything we need to be a playoff contender this season and, barring major injuries, we will be in the mix
We have key playmakers at QB,RB, and WR
We have key playmakers at DL, LB CB and S
We have a coaching staff that "gets it"

PREDICTION....

We will defend our HOME turf....6-2
We will win on the road.....5-3

Go ahead and burn me now....Haters gonna hate

Many posters are predicting the Dolphins success/failure based on their outlook but I never see any real comparisons to the teams they are playing...I see a lot of what we have done to make us a better team but never what the upcoming opponent has done that makes them that much better than us

Some posters on this board even believe we will be worse off than last season even though we have....
Improved the coaching
Improved the OLine
Improved the QB
Improved the depth
….AND are entering the season with a better understanding of the scheme by the players

Have the teams we will be facing REALLY done more than we have this off season to improve over last year?
Are the teams we will be facing sooooo unbeatable?.... (from some posters it sounds like we will face perennial champions week in and out)

We have everything we need to be a playoff contender this season and, barring major injuries, we will be in the mix

PREDICTION....

Many people post in other forums why they believe one way or another. I for one, just tried keeping it simple in here. But agree that his post was good and offered insight.

I don’t agree with many of your reasons you present as facts but they’re truly your opinion. Oline went from Pouncy at C to Kilgore (blah). Sitton is 32 and olinement decline season 11. Bookends are the same l so not an improvent in talent. I hope they get better but hope doesn’t mean much.

Dline lost Suh = downgrade.

LB still avg. Hope McMillan is a stud, but may only be avg.

Secondary is the lone bright spot. Jones, Fitz, McCain, Howard and Tank could be a top 5 secondary.

WR lost an elite slot WR.

RB added a nice vet. Basically same output as last year though.

QB upgrade over last year.

Schedule: Teams against were 500 last year.

Last edited:
while i dont think we are a 3 win team, i think our fan base is highly overrating this team at 9-10 wins. i think the vegas line is 5.5. i'll go 6-10.

So you don't believe that this team is better at this time than last years team?????

Why?

Landry,,,,, Amendola/Wilson can catch 100+ balls when being force feed, all without the foolish personal fouls penalties.

Pouncey,,,,, just having a center that can practice on a daily basis will be an upgrade for this O-Line.

Suh,,,, ok I get that, but its not like we had a Great run "D" w/him.

TE Julius Thomas,,,,, may have been the slowest TE I ever watched at any level, bring in Gesiki/Smythe. HUGE upgrade there.

Please tell me you don't think Cutler is better than Tanny, at least at this stage of their careers???? NOT

Not to mention the addition of Fitz, the return of Lippett and McMillan. Oh yea, don't underestimate the Sitton addition or the Quinn addition

Let us not forget what last years team went through = NO BYE (16 straight games) O-Line coach addiction(s), AWOL of top FA, NO home game till week 5, traveled half way around the world due to scheduling/Irma, Irma forcing the team to spend 10 straight days on west coast prior to season opener.

Miami will face 2 rookie QBs within the division 4 different times (can you say feast)!

If you really look into all variables involved with Miami's record last season, its a wonder they didn't end up with 3 wins last year. Seriously, these are all facts!!!!

Imo, I don't think 9 wins is overrating this teams expectations this year, certainly not 3 wins. Unless you follow the team, you may predict the same as Vegas (5.5 over/under win total). Even Vegas doesn't understand ALL the variables involved with last years schedule.

Smart $ takes the OVER 5.5 wins and laughs all the way to the bank!!!!!

Sept. 9: vs. Titans, 1 p.m.; FOX—L—The titans are an underrated team and they're solid in the trenches. This is a tough matchup for the Dolphins week 1. It should be a close game, but Miami has a lot of unknowns and it'd take a lot of things working right to beat the Titans week 1.

Sept. 16: at N.Y. Jets, 1 p.m.; CBS—W—Miami comes back the next week at the Jets and gets its first win of the season, and an important AFC East victory early in the season.

Sept. 23: vs. Raiders, 1 p.m.; CBS—W—I like Miami in this game too. Oakland hasn't done a great job of protecting Carr and I think this should be a good matchup for Miami.

Sept. 30: at Patriots, 1 p.m.; CBS—L—It happens every year, Miami goes up to NE and gets womped by the Patriots. With a 2-2 record in September, Miami isn't out of the playoff hunt by any means, but will need a strong push in October and November to be in contention.

Record after September: 2-2

Oct. 7: at Bengals, 1 p.m.; CBS—W—This is another very winnable game. But Cincinnati's weapons are really good, so Miami will need to lock down AJ Green and get pressure on the QB, which I think they'll be able to do.

Oct. 14: vs. Bears, 1 p.m.; FOX—W—Chicago is still a young team, and I think Miami has the pieces to get their young QB rattled.

Oct. 21: vs. Lions, 1 p.m. FOX—W—Third win in a row puts Miami at 5-2. This is another tough matchup but I think Miami has the players to shut down the Lions' run game and turn them into a one-dimensional offense. Will be close but I think Miami gets the W.

Oct. 25 (Thursday): at Texans, 8:20 p.m.;FOX—L—the dreaded primetime game. The Texans are a solid team and if Watson is healthy, they're really dangerous and can score a lot. Watson's ability to get out of the pocket with his legs, and keeping plays alive, will be Miami's demise in this game.

Record after October: 5-3

Nov. 4: vs. N.Y. Jets, 1 p.m.; CBS—W—The Jets are by no means easy, but if their rookie QB is playing, Miami should have the edge.

Nov. 11: at Packers, 1 p.m.; CBS—L—Playing at Lambeau is a tough task, and GB's offense is so good when Rodgers is healthy.

Nov. 18: Bye Week

Nov. 25: at Colts, 1 p.m.; CBS—W—even if Luck is playing, Indy has a pretty weak team all around

Record after November: 7-4

Dec. 2: vs. Bills, 1 p.m.; CBS—W—Young/unproven QBs for the Bills. Should be a winnable game.

Dec. 9: vs. Patriots, 1 p.m.; CBS—L—Because Patriots.

Dec. 16: at Vikings, 1 p.m.; CBS—L—One of the toughest defenses in the NFL that will be problems for the Dolphins offense.

**Dec. 23: vs. Jaguars, 1 p.m.;CBS—L—Again, probably the toughest defense in the NFL and Miami struggles to put up points.

Dec. 30: at Bills, 1 pm.; CBS—W—With playoffs possibly on the line, Miami has to go to Buffalo to get a W. They do, and finish the season 9-7 with a 4-2 record in the AFC East.

I really believe we will sweep the Patriots this year.

Applying those two wins to your other selections would leave us with 11Wins to 5 Losses. Keep in mind how we handled the Patriots last year with a much less effective Dolphins team than we have this year and that we typically split each year with the Patriots. We are rising and the Patriots are not improving that I can see.

Many people post in other forums why they believe one way or another. I for one, just tried keeping it simple in here. But agree that his post was good and offered insight.

I don’t agree with many of your reasons you present as facts but they’re truly your opinion. Oline went from Pouncy at C to Kilgore (blah). Sitton is 32 and olinement decline season 11. Bookends are the same l so not an improvent in talent. I hope they get better but hope doesn’t mean much.

Dline lost Suh = downgrade. Downgrade from what???? Run "D" was below average w/Suh. Addition by subtraction.

LB still avg. Hope McMillan is a stud, but may only be avg. McMillan is the unknown, again below average LBers in '17, can't get much worse = UPGRADE!

Secondary is the lone bright spot. Jones, Fitz, McCain, Howard and Tank could be a top 5 secondary. Don't forget the return of Lippett as well.

WR lost an elite slot WR. The league is full of elite slot WRs, most which come without the non-sense (he was a gamer though)

RB added a nice vet. Basically same output as last year though. Same output would mean that Drake would end up the leading rusher in the league, I'll take that!!!!

QB upgrade over last year. You bet, for certain upgrade over lifeless Cutler.

Schedule: Teams against were 500 last year.
This seasons schedule is 10x better, we actually have a bye (late one to boot), we don't have to travel half way around the world due to scheduling, our first home game comes before week 5.

JUST SAYING!

Sept. 9: vs. Titans, 1 p.m.; FOX—L—The titans are an underrated team and they're solid in the trenches. This is a tough matchup for the Dolphins week 1. It should be a close game, but Miami has a lot of unknowns and it'd take a lot of things working right to beat the Titans week 1.

Sept. 16: at N.Y. Jets, 1 p.m.; CBS—W—Miami comes back the next week at the Jets and gets its first win of the season, and an important AFC East victory early in the season.

Sept. 23: vs. Raiders, 1 p.m.; CBS—W—I like Miami in this game too. Oakland hasn't done a great job of protecting Carr and I think this should be a good matchup for Miami.

Sept. 30: at Patriots, 1 p.m.; CBS—L—It happens every year, Miami goes up to NE and gets womped by the Patriots. With a 2-2 record in September, Miami isn't out of the playoff hunt by any means, but will need a strong push in October and November to be in contention.

Record after September: 2-2

Oct. 7: at Bengals, 1 p.m.; CBS—W—This is another very winnable game. But Cincinnati's weapons are really good, so Miami will need to lock down AJ Green and get pressure on the QB, which I think they'll be able to do.

Oct. 14: vs. Bears, 1 p.m.; FOX—W—Chicago is still a young team, and I think Miami has the pieces to get their young QB rattled.

Oct. 21: vs. Lions, 1 p.m. FOX—W—Third win in a row puts Miami at 5-2. This is another tough matchup but I think Miami has the players to shut down the Lions' run game and turn them into a one-dimensional offense. Will be close but I think Miami gets the W.

Oct. 25 (Thursday): at Texans, 8:20 p.m.;FOX—L—the dreaded primetime game. The Texans are a solid team and if Watson is healthy, they're really dangerous and can score a lot. Watson's ability to get out of the pocket with his legs, and keeping plays alive, will be Miami's demise in this game.

Record after October: 5-3

Nov. 4: vs. N.Y. Jets, 1 p.m.; CBS—W—The Jets are by no means easy, but if their rookie QB is playing, Miami should have the edge.

Nov. 11: at Packers, 1 p.m.; CBS—L—Playing at Lambeau is a tough task, and GB's offense is so good when Rodgers is healthy.

Nov. 18: Bye Week

Nov. 25: at Colts, 1 p.m.; CBS—W—even if Luck is playing, Indy has a pretty weak team all around

Record after November: 7-4

Dec. 2: vs. Bills, 1 p.m.; CBS—W—Young/unproven QBs for the Bills. Should be a winnable game.

Dec. 9: vs. Patriots, 1 p.m.; CBS—L—Because Patriots.

Dec. 16: at Vikings, 1 p.m.; CBS—L—One of the toughest defenses in the NFL that will be problems for the Dolphins offense.

**Dec. 23: vs. Jaguars, 1 p.m.;CBS—L—Again, probably the toughest defense in the NFL and Miami struggles to put up points.

Dec. 30: at Bills, 1 pm.; CBS—W—With playoffs possibly on the line, Miami has to go to Buffalo to get a W. They do, and finish the season 9-7 with a 4-2 record in the AFC East.

Not going to predict individual games, but I see 8-8, mostly due to all the new faces in September. A prediction, BTW, based on no injuries. I reserve the right to change that prediction after PS game 4

Improved the coaching
Improved the OLine
Improved the QB
Improved the depth

PREDICTION....

I love the confidence. Hope you're right.

All your facts though, as to why we're better - you have to realise that a lot of those are unknowns? Do you believe all of those will show up to be true? Just think back 1 off season, to how everyone was saying we'd finally fixed the LB corps - how did that turn out? People were optimistic about Kiko (how do people feel about him now?) and bringing in Timmons had people very excited ... that worked out well. So, now let's visit some of your points.

Improved the coaching - are you sure? It's possible. It's more likely there'll be improvements in some spots, and regressions in others. Matt Burke is still there, and I worry about him immensely.
Improved the OLine - On paper, we should, simply because Kilgore can practice. However, do we absolutely know that Kilgore and Sitton will come in and play well? Do we know that Davis is going to stay on an upward curve? Or tackles are incredibly big question marks for me also.
Improved the offense - hopefully. Just improving at QB (your next point) should absolutely lead to that being true. Again though, bringing in some WRs and we don't know which of those will work out. Likewise the rookie TEs, no idea if they'll hit the ground running. Will Drake continue to show like he did at the end of last season? Will Parker finally emerge? If he doesn't, we've no #1 receiver, hard to be a great O without that.
Improved the defense overall - on paper, yep, we should see improvement there I reckon, even without Suh. Again though, have to see it to believe it.
Depth - yeah, again I think this has improved.

Basically, my point is that we see this every single year. Fans (and I've been guilty of it many times, maybe this year I'm reverting too far the other way) see every move made in the offseason and in their head think "well he's an upgrade on him because he was better last year" etc, and just assume that all these moves will work out. People don't take stock, often enough, and realise that about 50% of these moves are successes, and the others failures. So we have to look at all the new pieces on our team and realise that some will work out, some won't. Every move that looks like an upgrade is not necessarily an upgrade.

I see it being 7-9 or 8-8 roster if I'm honest. And I don't think I've ever wanted to be more wrong. There's the optimistic part of me that thinks "Good Lord, Tannehill over Cutler alone should boost us by 4 wins", but I dunno. I just see a lot of question marks still. But .. with a lot of hope for the future.

Honestly, I'm even not aboard the "Tannenbaum out" train anymore, and I was driving that thing! No majorly splashy FA moves, and seemed to let Grier / Gase do their thing during the draft. Things seem to be running smoothly. I'm cautiously optimistic for the next year, with 1 more good draft behind us.

I really believe we will sweep the Patriots this year.

Applying those two wins to your other selections would leave us with 11Wins to 5 Losses. Keep in mind how we handled the Patriots last year with a much less effective Dolphins team than we have this year and that we typically split each year with the Patriots. We are rising and the Patriots are not improving that I can see.
Blind optimism in my opinion. They're still the team to beat out there. Last time we won at their place? 2008. Last time we swept them? 2000.

I'll go with 8 wins. Can't see us sweeping the Patriots either. Every time we do beat Brady he comes back with a vengeance the next game against us and it is usually a blowout. I'll be betting on the Patriots to cover in week 4. Love to see that change but I don't think its happening this year. Love to be wrong.

This seasons schedule is 10x better, we actually have a bye (late one to boot), we don't have to travel half way around the world due to scheduling, our first home game comes before week 5.

JUST SAYING!

New season, new circumstances, new faces, not sure any of that matters. I think what matters more is the quality of the teams they play when they actually play. Optimism is great, but all teams right now are optimistic they improved over last year too.

Back
Top Bottom