Prediction (ONLY!) of Tannehill contract | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Prediction (ONLY!) of Tannehill contract

What is it going to take to get teams to stop with this nonsense? Flacco, Goff, Cousins, Ryan, Stafford, Smith, Carr, Foles.....has anyone looked back in hindsight and come to the conclusion that handing over a fifth of the cap to this one player was a good idea? Tannehill looked great, along with pretty much everyone in that list when given a good oline and strong running game.

I can't wait for the first coach/GM that is secure enough so say that maybe its not a great idea to give an average QB a massive deal to maintain continuity.

didn't he throw for less than 100 yards in their first 2 games?

then at KC when they had to have it on 4th down in the redzone he takes a sack lol.

god im glad that guy is gone.

hmmm. so that’s what you got out of his three playoff games.

a lot of smart people believe it proved quite a bit.

And yes, RT and I completely agree with that last sentiment.

Last edited:
Let's face it, whatever this guy achieves going forward is going to reflect poorly of previous Miami management and coaching staffs

What is it going to take to get teams to stop with this nonsense? Flacco, Goff, Cousins, Ryan, Stafford, Smith, Carr, Foles.....has anyone looked back in hindsight and come to the conclusion that handing over a fifth of the cap to this one player was a good idea? Tannehill looked great, along with pretty much everyone in that list when given a good oline and strong running game.

I can't wait for the first coach/GM that is secure enough so say that maybe its not a great idea to give an average QB a massive deal to maintain continuity.
While in general your sentiment is correct, this is actually a reasonable contract for the Titans as it's very easy to cut Tannehill after years two and three. It's essentially a fully guaranteed 2 year/$62m deal, which is high, but if the next two years is their window it's manageable without causing them long-term issues.

In the unlikely event he makes it past that point without getting cut/restructured your maths regarding the cap, which is slightly out now, is going to be less of a concern as the cap number is going to grow quickly when the legal gambling income is factored in.

EDIT: My bad, misread the terms, 2022 salary is guaranteed if he’s on the roster in 2021 (wow). More like a 3yr/$91 year deal with an easy out after year 3. Not as bad as some other contracts, but could leave quite a commitment if he doesn’t perform or is injured.

Last edited:
Let's face it, whatever this guy achieves going forward is going to reflect poorly of previous Miami management and coaching staffs
Can previous coaching staffs be thought of any more poorly thatn they already are?

I think the Titans will probably sign Brady to a two years contract and Tannehill will be playing on another NFL team next year. I think he will sign for backup QB money and he will likely remain a backup for the rest of his career.
Hey Lauren. Quick question, if your husband is as specular as you suggest in every post. Why hasn't Tennessee sign him ling term yet? Why are the titans going aggressively after brady?
Those posts sure aged well.

I think Dallas is doing this.

While in general your sentiment is correct, this is actually a reasonable contract for the Titans as it's very easy to cut Tannehill after years two and three. It's essentially a fully guaranteed 2 year/$62m deal, which is high, but if the next two years is their window it's manageable without causing them long-term issues.

In the unlikely event he makes it past that point without getting cut/restructured your maths regarding the cap, which is slightly out now, is going to be less of a concern as the cap number is going to grow quickly when the legal gambling income is factored in.

EDIT: My bad, misread the terms, 2022 salary is guaranteed if he’s on the roster in 2021 (wow). More like a 3yr/$91 year deal with an easy out after year 3. Not as bad as some other contracts, but could leave quite a commitment if he doesn’t perform or is injured.

The contract itself is not that bad. If hes terrible they'll blow two years and probably either cut him or have him babysit a draft pick in year three. The issue is that hes not likely to be terrible and not likely to be transcendent. Odds are he'll be above average one of the next two years and below average in the other. Then what do you do?

Its a little easier for the Titan since they don't have the emotional burden of the Lions, Falcons, or Rams having drafted the man but its still so hard for these coaches and GMs to walk away from a known commodity. If Cousins puts together another good season and the Vikings make the playoffs hes going to get a record setting deal 45+ mil per season. Its crazy.

I have nothing against Tannehill and think hes a good player and can even be a super bowl winning QB with a little luck and the right support. But to me the only way to justify spending that kind of cash is if the player can elevate those around him. If he hasn't shown himself to be that kind of player I'd much rather role the dice on a rookie and invest in elite talent elsewhere.

...,,But to me the only way to justify spending that kind of cash is if the player can elevate those around him. If he hasn't shown himself to be that kind of player I'd much rather role the dice on a rookie and invest in elite talent elsewhere.

appears that RT’s season, more clearly and objectively than any in recent NFL history, proved that.

It’s extremely rare that you get to see ONE player change make a 180 degree difference not only in a team, but in individual players on that team.

Talk about your experimental control group!

appears that RT’s season, more clearly and objectively than any in recent NFL history, proved that.

It’s extremely rare that you get to see ONE player change make a 180 degree difference not only in a team, but in individual players on that team.

Talk about your experimental control group!

You are right and QB is always the hardest to judge. The question is how much better he is than replacement level. Swap Tannehill with Trubisky last season and is Trubisky the one getting 100 mil?

You are right and QB is always the hardest to judge. The question is how much better he is than replacement level. Swap Tannehill with Trubisky last season and is Trubisky the one getting 100 mil?

Not sure about Trubiskey. He appears
to have gotten worse each year, while THill has pretty much improved, and finally got the opp to answer the Q how good could he be with a solid cast and O tailored to his stengths.

I think there could be a few QBs that might have done the same this year, but even that is a stretch. He put up stats that are typically seen once every 10 or 15 years.

And you cant really credit that all to a 2-4 team that was close to pathetic on O when he took over.

Titans were a decent team. There are plenty of decent teams every year, yet almost NO QB EVER puts up the array of stats he did this year like the red zone effic, comp %, and dominating ypa and ypc.

Will he keep it up? cant wait to see!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom