Pressure Being Placed on The Commissioner...... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pressure Being Placed on The Commissioner......

While I understand your concern with a lottery type selection in 2021 if the 2020 season is not played, I really don’t think it would be fair to do it any other way. Making picks based on how teams finished the 2019 season wouldn’t really be fair to the teams or fans of other teams in the NFL. As a Dolphin fan I would certainly love for that draft to be based on the 2019 record but can you imagine the Bengals drafting Burrow this year and then having the opportunity to draft Lawrence with the first pick in the 2021 draft based on their 2019 record.
That would create fan forums to explode around the NFL. Hopefully not playing football this year will not something we will have to endure but I think the odds right now are against there being a football season this year.
You would totally need a lottery type of selection at that point. I agree. Make every GM play virtual blackjack and base it on number of chips after two hours lol.

Fair or not, the possibility that NE or Pittsburgh luck into an amazing QB prospect after having a Hall of Fame QB that took them to multiple championships is enough to sink the idea of an unweighted draft.

Fair or not, the possibility that NE or Pittsburgh luck into an amazing QB prospect after having a Hall of Fame QB that took them to multiple championships is enough to sink the idea of an unweighted draft.
So it would be fair for the Bengals to have the first pick in the 2021 draft because there was no 2020 season and they have the first pick this year? Under the circumstances of no season in 2020 and another draft in 2021, the only way to conduct that draft would be to have a lottery. If the Steelers or NE end up with the first pick with a lottery system, so be it. The Dolphins would actually have a much better chance of getting the first pick over either of these teams since they have two picks in the first round of the 2021 draft.

So it would be fair for the Bengals to have the first pick in the 2021 draft because there was no 2020 season and they have the first pick this year? Under the circumstances of no season in 2020 and another draft in 2021, the only way to conduct that draft would be to have a lottery. If the Steelers or NE end up with the first pick with a lottery system, so be it. The Dolphins would actually have a much better chance of getting the first pick over either of these teams since they have two picks in the first round of the 2021 draft.
Well the draft isn’t designed to be fair; it’s designed to be equitable. If straight fairness was what was sought, then they’d do a straight lottery every year. The draft is purposely weighted to give an advantage to the bad teams. No reason a lottery won’t also be weighted similarly.

And yes, I think people will be much more accepting of bad teams picking early twice in a row over good teams having top 5 picks and drafting the next Hall of Famer to add to their already stacked team.

Well the draft isn’t designed to be fair; it’s designed to be equitable. If straight fairness was what was sought, then they’d do a straight lottery every year. The draft is purposely weighted to give an advantage to the bad teams. No reason a lottery won’t also be weighted similarly.

And yes, I think people will be much more accepting of bad teams picking early twice in a row over good teams having top 5 picks and drafting the next Hall of Famer to add to their already stacked team.
I think a new hybrid of lottery would be the most fair in the absence of a season for '20. Obviously if we haven't played it's tough to gauge improvement to the roster. So for '21 I would have 2 separate lotteries. One for the top 16 2019 teams and one for the back half. That gives the better teams a chance to move up as far as #17 while the lesser teams won't go back as far as #16. Realistically, every team in the lesser 16 aren't going to go and be playoff teams just like the better teams won't fall off a cliff.

Thoughts?

I think a new hybrid of lottery would be the most fair in the absence of a season for '20. Obviously if we haven't played it's tough to gauge improvement to the roster. So for '21 I would have 2 separate lotteries. One for the top 16 2019 teams and one for the back half. That gives the better teams a chance to move up as far as #17 while the lesser teams won't go back as far as #16. Realistically, every team in the lesser 16 aren't going to go and be playoff teams just like the better teams won't fall off a cliff.

Thoughts?
Well, I think that would be better than throwing all the teams into the same pot. But I also find it hard to believe that the NFL would end up doing something so innovative. I think most likely they’d do something similar to the NBA draft lottery and base it on the 2019 records.

Well, I think that would be better than throwing all the teams into the same pot. But I also find it hard to believe that the NFL would end up doing something so innovative. I think most likely they’d do something similar to the NBA draft lottery and base it on the 2019 records.
The best innovate. Let the other leagues suck our contrail.

The draft is a reflection of how the teams finished the previous season. If there is no season then it would be unfair to every team and every fan base to use the teams draft position from the previous draft, IMO.

The NBA has a lottery system every year for the bottom 12 teams with the worst record during the previous season and it works well. So having a lottery system for all the NFL teams if there is no season in 2020 and there is a draft in 2021 would make perfect sense. I have always thought it is ridiculous that teams which are lousy are rewarded by getting the top picks in the draft. They shouldn’t be rewarded just for putting a lousy product on the field.

Personally I think there should be a draft lottery for every draft but obviously that won’t happen.

While I understand your concern with a lottery type selection in 2021 if the 2020 season is not played, I really don’t think it would be fair to do it any other way. Making picks based on how teams finished the 2019 season wouldn’t really be fair to the teams or fans of other teams in the NFL. As a Dolphin fan I would certainly love for that draft to be based on the 2019 record but can you imagine the Bengals drafting Burrow this year and then having the opportunity to draft Lawrence with the first pick in the 2021 draft based on their 2019 record.
That would create fan forums to explode around the NFL. Hopefully not playing football this year will not something we will have to endure but I think the odds right now are against there being a football season this year.

This is why I think NFL will seriously consider doing the Hunger Games style season where they isolate every player in a complex somewhere to play games despite the pandemic...

Having generational players like Lawrence going to a team based on just a pure lottery pick just presents too many problems for the league. Think about it... what if the Chiefs get the #1 pick and sell off Lawrence for a massive haul of picks setting themselves up for an unstoppable dynasty based on sheer luck? It wouldn’t be right.

Looks like the MLB will be the first to experiment with this concept

Back
Top Bottom