Pressure Being Placed on The Commissioner...... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pressure Being Placed on The Commissioner......

There is no reason to shut it down. Football coaches and GMs are notorious for being old fashioned. Cisco could set the whole thing up with encrypted video chat and support for the whole league in a week max. Did someone take all of their phones away? Trillions of dollars of deals are done a day remotely using current tech, we can't announce our draft picks? We need out of the box thinking. From what I read, the draft will have record viewership numbers due to how sports starved we all are.

Current thinking of Micky Loomis and the rest:

If needed, give more time in between picks and spread it out over an extra day.

Not being contrarian, just delivering some additional info: The GMs unanimously voted to push it back primarily because they feel they do not now have time for their teams to do proper medical assessments on prospects with the corona lockdown. You can bet Grier is one of the loudest voices to push this back as the Dolphins have the most picks in this draft and thus the most to lose if they pick guys who have unreported medical issues.

Not saying I want them to push it back, because this lead up to the draft is too long as it is, but I understand teams freaking out right now that their appointed times to do due diligence are suddenly gone and they have to guess way more than normal.
If I was an owner and my GM came to me complaining about not having enough time and needing to push the draft back, it would be the last draft that GM would ever be doing for me. These GMs have had up to three years to evaluate most of these guys and I understand that they are concerned about the medical checks on some of these guys, especially Tua, but they will be able to get the MRI, X-rays, and scans with no problem. They will just have to make the lack of being able to have a team doctor look at the prospect a part of the evaluation. Every prospect has risk, and the medical evaluation is no different.

There are a few random points I wanted to make:

1. We are constantly told the draft is a crap shoot anyway, why not add a little more to the element of the unknown by not being able to bring the prospects in.
2. As Rick says above, there is really no excuse for these GMs not to be prepared. They've had months to go over tape, talk to folks close to them, go through medical histories and of course senior bowl, Shrine game and combine all took place.
3. Get this done now and it means you can start the season again quicker. If you put it off till things die down (and we have no idea when that will be) then the draft would need to be arranged prior to everything else kicking off, rookie camps, training camps, pre-season etc. It's just one thing less to worry about.
4. And I said this before, folks need something to distract them right now, the draft is perfect for that, It's the biggest non sporting sporting event, you can only do so many mock drafts, or in NFLN's world so many re-runs of Brady and old Tampa games. Give the folks an exciting few evenings and then give the fresh stuff to talk about.

More time and more resources hasn't lead to less draft busts. Somehow even before the internet teams could find talented players from small schools and things. No amount of time and resources can prevent bad decision making. In fact, I think teams use it to outsmart themselves.

I think the gms are thinking it's pretty clear the 2020 season is in serious jeopardy and at best it will be a delayed start. Think about it, if the late July and early August Olympics are canceled what leads us to think regular season football will be played in early September? Not to mention preseason, otas and training camp. If that's the case what is the rush to have the draft in April instead of May, June, July or later?

Plus if this virus is going to be as wide spread and catastophic as expected there very well could be some players selected in April that never play a down in the NFL. From a GM standpoint why not just wait until we have a better idea of who survives this and who is still healthy to play football. Unfortunately it's going to take a few big name deaths in the music, acting or athletic industries before the seriousness of what's going on really sinks in around the country. If and when that happens everything will be put on the back burner.

I guess you bet on the date? There is a nation wide pandemic. Did you not get the memo?

The sarcasm king strikes again! Plays the only card in his thin deck.

The funny part is that you actually believe these comments are funny and relevant.

As you were.

Did we institute Marshall law, and I missed it?

Yes, there are a few places, like NYC, and the NW coastal cities, but it is not nation wide.

And yes, there is no reason the draft can't be done remotely, and in their underwear, if that's how they roll.

Don’t even bother with that guy. Complete waste of time. I’ve finally seen enough to realize its ignore time.

Regarding the draft, you’re spot on. It can be done remotely. There’s many different ways it can be worked out and still be safe. It’s still a month a way anyway. Plenty can change between now and then.

@rickd13 is also right. With more time, these org’s will overthink everything. No need for further delays.

I think the gms are thinking it's pretty clear the 2020 season is in serious jeopardy and at best it will be a delayed start. Think about it, if the late July and early August Olympics are canceled what leads us to think regular season football will be played in early September?

The fact that a lot more goes into planning and participating in the olympics than a yearly sports league like the NFL.

It’s a poor comparison.

Millions of spectators around the world travel to watch the Olympics in a more compact timeframe. The host city spends years planning for the events. There are more athletes involved and they spend more time preparing for the 4-year event.

Meanwhile, sports leagues such as the NFL have figured out ways to play a season after delays from labor disputes and such.

There’s no reason to believe the season is in jeopardy as of right now. Things can obviously change, but we’re still 5+ months shy of the 1st game. Anyone believing we’re all still gonna be isolating like this even 3 months from now is overeacting.

This is dumb. Free agency managed to happen just fine because we still have working telephones. Just because there's not a crowd to boo Goodell or first rounders hanging out in the green room doesn't mean the draft is incapable of handling other logistics.
There is no reason to push it back at all. In fact in these times where folks need something else to focus on, it's one of the only sporting events that can take place, I think it's important for that sake as much as anything else.
If I can do my fantasy draft from my computer, tablet or phone from wherever I want, they can draft using the same technology. :)

I look forward to the draft as much as most of us do. And I'm not saying it's not possible to go on as scheduled. I'm just saying what's the rush other than to entertain a few of us if the season itself could be in serious jeopardy.

The fact that a lot more goes into planning and participating in the olympics than a yearly sports league like the NFL.

It’s a poor comparison.

Millions of spectators around the world travel to watch the Olympics in a more compact timeframe. The host city spends years planning for the events. There are more athletes involved and they spend more time preparing for the 4-year event.

Meanwhile, sports leagues such as the NFL have figured out ways to play a season after delays from labor disputes and such.

There’s no reason to believe the season is in jeopardy as of right now. Things can obviously change, but we’re still 5+ months shy of the 1st game. Anyone believing we’re all still gonna be isolating like this even 3 months from now is overeacting.

To me it's not a question of the logistics. I agree they can host the draft remotely if they wanted to. My point is not can you do it, it's more of a question of should you do it or what's the rush to do it? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the players or NFL staffs will be at more risk by having the draft in a safe remote fashion, I'm just saying there's no need to rush it if there's not going to be otas, training camp, preseason or maybe even a season at all.

To me it's not a question of the logistics. I agree they can host the draft remotely if they wanted to. My point is not can you do it, it's more of a question of should you do it or what's the rush to do it? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the players or NFL staffs will be at more risk by having the draft in a safe remote fashion, I'm just saying there's no need to rush it if there's not going to be otas, training camp, preseason or maybe even a season at all.

Understood.

However, at this time, there’s no reason to believe the season — which is still 5+ months away — is in jeopardy. And since the draft is a stepping stone on the way to a new season, they should take that step accordingly — unless they absolutely can’t.

Understood.

However, at this time, there’s no reason to believe the season — which is still 5+ months away — is in jeopardy. And since the draft is a stepping stone on the way to a new season, they should take that step accordingly — unless they absolutely can’t.

That's why I'm thinking if the thought is it wonb't be safe for large crowds in Japan in early August, what leads us to think things will be that much safer in September in the US? Sure there's a chance everything could be green lighted by then, but it's seeing less and less realistic.

Back
Top Bottom