Pressure Being Placed on The Commissioner...... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pressure Being Placed on The Commissioner......

This is stupid.

We live in a world where high powered machines emit radiation and give a colorful picture of your colon. We have planes that can be flown via remote control. There are surgeons who have literally performed surgery from home through a server and robotic hands.

This is not that. Not even close.

Give me a break. They can't figure out a way to get physicals remotely? Everything they were going to in person, they can do on a video call with a licensed physician who administers the physical live. It's not that hard to figure it out.

Easy solution.

No one meets in groups. Everyone is remote. The commissioner is by himself announcing picks. Done. No complications. We'll still get Kiper and all the other talking heads in their remote locations. Similar to Around the Horn. I'd be down for that.

This is stupid.

We live in a world where high powered machines emit radiation and give a colorful picture of your colon. We have planes that can be flown via remote control. There are surgeons who have literally performed surgery from home through a server and robotic hands.

Give me a break. They can't figure out a way to get physicals remotely? Everything they were going to in person, they can do on a video call with a licensed physician who administers the physical live. It's not that hard to figure it out.
Roger Goodell is nothing but a puppet for the geriatric owners that remain to control.

You look at Adam silver and there is a commissioner that thinks outside the box and is prepared to take some heavy heat for his decisions. He has kept the NBA interesting by stepping outside the norms and attempting to keep up with a changing society.

Goodell is just a PR guy and is afraid of the ownership heirarchy. He could easily cancel the draft and push the season back if need be but he is nervous of the pure consequence that he thinks the owners can deal out.

Easy solution.

No one meets in groups. Everyone is remote. The commissioner is by himself announcing picks. Done. No complications. We'll still get Kiper and all the other talking heads in their remote locations. Similar to Around the Horn. I'd be down for that.

doesn't read like the problem is the actual draft. The problem is acquiring data teams feel they need to make intelligent decisions. Thus, "GMs were concerned that there wouldn’t be time for player physicals, psychological tests and other necessary player-vetting procedures."
I guess physicals could be done by drs in PPE. Psychological tests with social distancing. I have no idea what "other necessary player-vetting procedures" includes. Still, if I were betting, the draft is delayed, with one caveat. If the 'delay' could be pushed too far out, endangering the full season, that may change.

Plus if this virus is going to be as wide spread and catastophic as expected there very well could be some players selected in April that never play a down in the NFL. From a GM standpoint why not just wait until we have a better idea of who survives this and who is still healthy to play football. Unfortunately it's going to take a few big name deaths in the music, acting or athletic industries before the seriousness of what's going on really sinks in around the country. If and when that happens everything will be put on the back burner.

If there's guys who are a legitimate threat to have major issues from coronavirus, they probably weren't meant for the NFL. I don't see many healthy 20-24 year olds dying from this thing, and the ones who have health conditions that make them susceptible are probably not NFL draft candidates.

Roger Goodell and I disagree with you.

missed that one. I said elsewhere the decision would depend on how far off the delayed draft would take place. The further out, the less likely the delay. Can't find the projected delay date.

The 1918 pandemic lasted for nearly 2 years around the world. It is predicted that it will be at least sometime in 2021 before there will be a possible vaccine for Covid19. I just don’t see the NFL or college football season being played this year. I think there will likely be two drafts, 2020 and 2021 before we see football again. I assume in this case there will be a lottery system to determine the draft order for the 2021 draft.

The 1918 pandemic lasted for nearly 2 years around the world. It is predicted that it will be at least sometime in 2021 before there will be a possible vaccine for Covid19. I just don’t see the NFL or college football season being played this year. I think there will likely be two drafts, 2020 and 2021 before we see football again. I assume in this case there will be a lottery system to determine the draft order for the 2021 draft.
I agree with you that there may not be football this fall, but I don't see how you conduct a lottery for 2021 draft order. What would it be based on? The 2019 records? Because if NE or Pittsburgh or Dallas or whatever get the number one pick and draft Lawrence while the also rans of the league (including Miami) have to get by with the scraps, this board will explode and so will the NFL.

This is stupid.

10 quintillion % with you brother. Infinitely idiotic that the thought even needs comes into anyone's head to delay this. We put men on the moon over 55 years ago with 1/30th the technology that is in a freaking Alexa Dot. These set in their way butt clowns can't get their mind around the fact that the only way to do a draft is to sit in the same room and smell each other fart belligerently into their desk chairs? Cisco can get this whole thing dialed in to each individual's house for literally free advertising in the span of a week's prep. MEANWHILE, the entire draft was done for how many decades in a meeting room at the NYC Sheraton with just phone lines, pens and index cards?

Oh and for those that want to cite safety, understand that those that still want football aren't telling you we want you to die. You can want the draft and want to not die and find a way to do the draft in a manner that provides info and entertainment in a trying time without endangering everyone. It's not a binary choice; draft or Covid.

I agree with you that there may not be football this fall, but I don't see how you conduct a lottery for 2021 draft order. What would it be based on? The 2019 records? Because if NE or Pittsburgh or Dallas or whatever get the number one pick and draft Lawrence while the also rans of the league (including Miami) have to get by with the scraps, this board will explode and so will the NFL.

What's interesting, is the NFL should look at possibly re-opening (I guess) college players to declare for the draft now including those who would be entering their Junior year. But this would have huge ramifications on college teams IF they are going to be able to play.

So many unknowns.

While I understand your concern with a lottery type selection in 2021 if the 2020 season is not played, I really don’t think it would be fair to do it any other way. Making picks based on how teams finished the 2019 season wouldn’t really be fair to the teams or fans of other teams in the NFL. As a Dolphin fan I would certainly love for that draft to be based on the 2019 record but can you imagine the Bengals drafting Burrow this year and then having the opportunity to draft Lawrence with the first pick in the 2021 draft based on their 2019 record.
That would create fan forums to explode around the NFL. Hopefully not playing football this year will not something we will have to endure but I think the odds right now are against there being a football season this year.

Back
Top Bottom