Preston Williams (ACL) cleared for football activities. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Preston Williams (ACL) cleared for football activities.

Fairly big deal if he comes back 100% and continues to grow and hangs onto the ball, dude has serious potential not many 6"5" guy's that run 4.5 and have the route running ability of a 6 footer with the leaping ability of Parker, having Parker, Williams and Gisicki all on the field at the same time moves our receiving skill from a C to B+/A- better than what most would give the Dolphins credit for when evaluating.
Nitpicking here but Williams ran a 4.66, while Im not sure both his injuries were on the same knee, I'd be surprised if he still ran a 4.66 after those 2 surgeries. The guy is explosive and has a good catch radius but speed is borderline NFL at this point IMO...

Preston Williams WR, Miami Dolphins

Dolphins WR Preston Williams was cleared for football activities.

Williams, who tore his ACL in November, has "been running and rehabbing well," according to Dolphins HC Brian Flores. The wideout will now focus on learning the team's new offense under OC Chan Gailey. Williams was peppered with targets during a six-game stretch before his season-ending injury in 2019, seeing 8.17 targets per game over that span. He's being drafted in the 13th round of 12-team leagues -- an ADP that could climb over the next month barring any injury setbacks.

Source: Cameron Wolfe on Twitter

Aug 3, 2020, 10:26 AM ET

Nitpicking here but Williams ran a 4.66, while Im not sure both his injuries were on the same knee, I'd be surprised if he still ran a 4.66 after those 2 surgeries. The guy is explosive and has a good catch radius but speed is borderline NFL at this point IMO...
Not argueing, but where did you get 4.66?

His CO St. Pro day lists him at 4.55. Huge difference in the two.

His pro day was a 4.55.

This was the 1st one I checked. (first time I even know the existence of this website, was the first on the results)

Then there's this one... Range between 4.55-4.68

" ...when he bombed his Pro Day with a 4.60 forty..."

Hard to get an accurate time as he didnt perform at the combine... Either way, 4.5 40 is very optimistic at this point IMO considering he has had yet another surgery to his knee...

That’s nice but I don’t expect much out of him this year. Wasn’t a speed burner to begin and he’ll be nursing it along trying to find his way again. I hope I’m wrong

Some people take longer to come back than others, but here's the thing: He's already had an ACL injury, and he'll know when his body is ready to go all-out again. Hopefully sooner than later, but you're probably right - I'm hoping for more in the 2nd half of the season.

Last edited:

His pro day was a 4.55.
Here's what I mean. Without even getting an accurate number on his actual 40, we can still get an idea of his actual NFL speed when comparing some things with other NFL WRs. Which is my point anyway, when talking about speed alone, Preston is borderline NFL.

• Average separation: 2.1 - Only 4 WRs(with more than 43 targets) in the NFL were worst. Devante Parker has the exact same number, 2.1. So Fins #1 and #2 WRs arent particularely great at getting separation, they're bottom of the league at it.
  • YAC/R: 2.4 - Again, only 4 WRs in the NFL were worst.
  • Average cushion: 4.5 - Only 2 WRs in the NFL had it worst.
Preston Williams will do alot of good things on 3rd downs and in the redzone and there's alot of value in that, but he's limited.

That’s nice but I don’t expect much out of him this year. Wasn’t a speed burner to begin and he’ll be nursing it along trying to find his way again. I hope I’m wrong

If his game relied mostly on speed, I would agree, but if he proves to be able to move OK, be able to cut somewhat, at 6'5 he's a tough guy to cover once he slightly gets position.

I don't expect him to start right away, unless he miraculously impresses everyone after coming back, but still he will be allowed plenty of chances early, and he seems to be a tough kid, so he will put the injury to the side, will do what needs to be done to get back, and will probably bully and physically dominate most DBs they put to cover him...Unless teams decide to put their #1 corner to cover Williams, which I'm sure Parker would be more then happy and excited to see happen.

Check out here how many plays Williams got open or just physically made the catch on just route running. a fake move or just physically making the catch even though well covered. ->

I'm sure after Williams went out last year that it helped Parker put up the numbers he did, but Fitz
Awesome. Dude was straight up Moss'ing defenses last year. I'm going to predict 1200+yards and 11 tds this year.
Williams was on pace for about 65 catches, 850 yds and 6 TDs. He was hardly "Moss'ing" up defenses. Parker definitely benefited once Williams was out, but he also benefited from Fitz's play the last month of the year. DVP was a beast the second half of the year. I like Williams a lot, but he's raw and he definitely needs to overcome his case of the drops. And I think he will.

I'm sure after Williams went out last year that it helped Parker put up the numbers he did, but Fitz

Williams was on pace for about 65 catches, 850 yds and 6 TDs. He was hardly "Moss'ing" up defenses. Parker definitely benefited once Williams was out, but he also benefited from Fitz's play the last month of the year. DVP was a beast the second half of the year. I like Williams a lot, but he's raw and he definitely needs to overcome his case of the drops. And I think he will.

Dk Metcalf got, 58 rec, 900 yards, 7 Tds and was #81 on the top 100

Here's what I mean. Without even getting an accurate number on his actual 40, we can still get an idea of his actual NFL speed when comparing some things with other NFL WRs. Which is my point anyway, when talking about speed alone, Preston is borderline NFL.

• Average separation: 2.1 - Only 4 WRs(with more than 43 targets) in the NFL were worst. Devante Parker has the exact same number, 2.1. So Fins #1 and #2 WRs arent particularely great at getting separation, they're bottom of the league at it.
  • YAC/R: 2.4 - Again, only 4 WRs in the NFL were worst.
  • Average cushion: 4.5 - Only 2 WRs in the NFL had it worst.
Preston Williams will do alot of good things on 3rd downs and in the redzone and there's alot of value in that, but he's limited.

Not to be difficult...but who's taking about speed alone when it comes to Preston Williams? He's a physical monster that's going to give your average CB fits because of his height and body type.

Not to be difficult...but who's taking about speed alone when it comes to Preston Williams? He's a physical monster that's going to give your average CB fits because of his height and body type.
To be fair, my first words in this thread were "Nitpicking here...". But regardless, I dont really like the makeup of the Fins top 2 receivers in Williams and Parker, I dont think they complement each other very well, at least not when catching passes from an accurate QB... They're perfect for Fitz though...

Back
Top Bottom