Preston Williams (ACL) cleared for football activities. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Preston Williams (ACL) cleared for football activities.

Dk Metcalf got, 58 rec, 900 yards, 7 Tds and was #81 on the top 100
And those numbers obviously meant a whole lot more to a playoff team like Seattle, than Williams' early season numbers did for a shitty Miami team. Parker however, got screwed not making that list after the final numbers he put up.

Preston is the best and you best believe it
He’s the best he can take or leave it
He’s the best you can feel the thunder
He’s the best in the 7th wonder

Here's what I mean. Without even getting an accurate number on his actual 40, we can still get an idea of his actual NFL speed when comparing some things with other NFL WRs. Which is my point anyway, when talking about speed alone, Preston is borderline NFL.

• Average separation: 2.1 - Only 4 WRs(with more than 43 targets) in the NFL were worst. Devante Parker has the exact same number, 2.1. So Fins #1 and #2 WRs arent particularely great at getting separation, they're bottom of the league at it.
  • YAC/R: 2.4 - Again, only 4 WRs in the NFL were worst.
  • Average cushion: 4.5 - Only 2 WRs in the NFL had it worst.
Preston Williams will do alot of good things on 3rd downs and in the redzone and there's alot of value in that, but he's limited.
I think it's hard to get separation when you have arguably the worst O-line of all time and Ryan Fitzpatrick is your leading rusher. I don't think Wilson had good separation numbers last year either. (Edit: incorrect he ranked #5 in the league)

Only 2 QB's had a lower Time To Throw than Fitzpatrick. Andy Dalton, who was dealing with similar team based issues. And Drew Brees, who throws an extremely high amount of quick slants and throws to RB's by design.

Basically don't read too much into those numbers until we have an O-line that can actually give any WR time to separate and a running game the other team has to even be slightly concerned about.

Last edited:
With 3 tall guy's out there it presents matchup problems. It would be nice if we had a 'tree' that blazed but they look like nice , move the ball, possession types that teams will have to plan around.

I stand corrected. I didn't look it up. I was only going by info I had seen posted a while back. This is what happens when u dont do your own research. He was actually #5, which kind of hurts my whole argument.
This number alone doesnt tell you a whole lot by itself TBH... But when opposing corners are giving you the least cushion in the league, you arent able to separate from it and post bottom of the league YAC... Speed certainly doesnt seem to be a strong suit of yours... Again, I think Preston is a very useful player, but I dont think you want him to be in the top 3 targets on your team... And I know this isnt a popular opinion.

To be fair, my first words in this thread were "Nitpicking here...". But regardless, I dont really like the makeup of the Fins top 2 receivers in Williams and Parker, I dont think they complement each other very well, at least not when catching passes from an accurate QB... They're perfect for Fitz though...
Makes no sense. If they can catch a ball from Fitz they can catch a ball from an accurate QB. Whew

To be fair, my first words in this thread were "Nitpicking here...". But regardless, I dont really like the makeup of the Fins top 2 receivers in Williams and Parker, I dont think they complement each other very well, at least not when catching passes from an accurate QB... They're perfect for Fitz though...

I get it. Hence, "not trying to be difficult."

BUT. I honestly think Tua might be Williams's best friend. Because he can do more than the great back-shoulder stuff that Fitz does. He can hit a guy who...hypothetically...outmuscles a smaller CB off the line, gets position, and uses his body to secure a go route. Tua can hit him in stride.

This number alone doesnt tell you a whole lot by itself TBH... But when opposing corners are giving you the least cushion in the league, you arent able to separate from it and post bottom of the league YAC... Speed certainly doesnt seem to be a strong suit of yours... Again, I think Preston is a very useful player, but I dont think you want him to be in the top 3 targets on your team... And I know this isnt a popular opinion.

He doesn't have great top end speed but he does has great feet and has shown he can get a clean release at the line. The pass catching was the clear weakness last season and he'll have to improve on that. If he can show that he can hang onto the ball hes got everything you want in a possession receiver.

Top end speed is great and something the phins are sorely lacking but every good offense needs that reliable target. On most teams the top targets man is not someone who gets great separation or yards after the catch. Its the one that consistently beats his man off the line and catches everything thrown his way. Cooper, Kittle, Julio Jones, Kelce.....they all make a living catching the ball in traffic.

He could be a stud. Just needs to work on his drops. IIRC he had quite a few last season.

He doesn't have great top end speed but he does has great feet and has shown he can get a clean release at the line. The pass catching was the clear weakness last season and he'll have to improve on that. If he can show that he can hang onto the ball hes got everything you want in a possession receiver.

Top end speed is great and something the phins are sorely lacking but every good offense needs that reliable target. On most teams the top targets man is not someone who gets great separation or yards after the catch. Its the one that consistently beats his man off the line and catches everything thrown his way. Cooper, Kittle, Julio Jones, Kelce.....they all make a living catching the ball in traffic.
That’s why I’d love to see Tua reunite with Waddle next year. He’d be that guy that could take the top off the defense

I don’t think I’ve ever heard that before. One would think they would be better with a accurate QB.

I get it. Hence, "not trying to be difficult."

BUT. I honestly think Tua might be Williams's best friend. Because he can do more than the great back-shoulder stuff that Fitz does. He can hit a guy who...hypothetically...outmuscles a smaller CB off the line, gets position, and uses his body to secure a go route. Tua can hit him in stride.
I agree with everything you're saying. What I mean is Williams might not be Tua's best friend... When you're mostly throwing dead accurate passes, then I believe you profit more from speed than catch radius... Throwing guys in stride is always a good thing, its just even better when you're throwing it to someone who can take it to the house from anywhere on the field.
I don’t think I’ve ever heard that before. One would think they would be better with a accurate QB.
Like I just said above. For the sake of the whole offense, if you have an accurate QB, you'll get more bang for your buck with speed. If OTOH you're dealt with an innacurate QB then your offense as a whole would be better served with size and catch radius. Needless to say, every single type of WR/TE will be better with a more accurate QB all else being equal.

Put an other way, when Fitz starts, Fins offense would work better with Parker and 2 Preston Williams types as their top 3. If Tua were to start, I'd much rather have Parker and 2 Albert Wilson types as their top 3. Im not trying to change anyones mind here... It's simply my unpopular opinion... :)

Last edited:
I agree with everything you're saying. What I mean is Williams might not be Tua's best friend... When you're mostly throwing dead accurate passes, then I believe you profit more from speed than catch radius... Throwing guys in stride is always a good thing, its just even better when you're throwing it to someone who can take it to the house from anywhere on the field.

Like I just said above. For the sake of the whole offense, if you have an accurate QB, you'll get more bang for your buck with speed. If OTOH you're dealt with an innacurate QB then your offense as a whole would be better served with size and catch radius. Needless to say, every single type of WR/TE will be better with a more accurate QB all else being equal.
You get more bang for your buck, until you face a top 5 Defense and them speed guys can’t get open. Then you turn into the Colts losing to the Pats every other year in the playoffs. And don’t get me wrong we need a speed guy to take the top off the defense. But with Parker and Williams we have 2 guys that even when there covered there is a chance to get them the ball.

Back
Top Bottom