Counterpoint...

Then again, I'm old enough to remember Larry Cowan in TC and then
preseason (I'm sure the "kids" around here have ZERO clue as to what I'm
referring)! Watched him get around the corner time after time in TC
went home and (in the old days sans internet etc.) called the Dolphins
office to find out "who the freak is that dude?"

Enter preseason and the cat was ripping it. Next thing I remember --
after game 2 Shula cut him and I was irate! Kid bounced a few times and
NEVER did anything... I assumed at the time he was a bad seed.
Goes to show first impressions are not always definitive.

Anyone else remember him???

Note: he was an R7 pick (12 rounds).

Just for fun:

DVP combine numbers:
6' 2 5/8" 209 lbs
Broad Jump 125.0 inches
Vertical 36.5 inches
40 Yard Dash 4.45 Secs

Preston Williams Pro day:
6' 4" 211 lbs
Broad Jump 116.00 inches
Vertical 31.50
40 Yard Dash 4.61

Obviously there's a "dramatic" difference and
DVP MUST BE a way better receiver based on the
radically superior numbers.

Does anyone really believe DVP plays faster
or in any way bigger than the film on this kid???

I don't see it. And let's talk about tuffness...
Physical and mental...

Do they measure that at the combine?

He plays like a big man...I don't think I've ever seen D.Parker play to his size.

He plays like a big man...I don't think I've ever seen D.Parker play to his size.

So true. Went back and watched Parker's combine and he really sucked on the drill
where he receiver has to run across the field catching balls for one side then another...
Went like 1/2 speed which is his actual game speed.

I remember the hype about Renaldo Nehemiah until he got blasted on crossing pattern.
End of story. He folded like a cheap Wal-Mart suit.

Counterpoint...

Then again, I'm old enough to remember Larry Cowan in TC and then
preseason (I'm sure the "kids" around here have ZERO clue as to what I'm
referring)! Watched him get around the corner time after time in TC
went home and (in the old days sans internet etc.) called the Dolphins
office to find out "who the freak is that dude?"

Enter preseason and the cat was ripping it. Next thing I remember --
after game 2 Shula cut him and I was irate! Kid bounced a few times and
NEVER did anything... I assumed at the time he was a bad seed.
Goes to show first impressions are not always definitive.

Anyone else remember him???

Note: he was an R7 pick (12 rounds).

Ohh yeah, i remember the 1982 training camp at St. Thomas University. That was the year Mark Duper was drafted. We had the "Killer B's" on D. and ended up going to the super bowl.

Now, back to Preston Williams.... If like he does dedicate his life to football he has the potential to become our best WR. And if he does contribute, we will have a decent WR corp.

Once it reached the 6th round I was rooting for Gerald Willis of the Canes to go undrafted. I wasn't sweating anything else except that. Heck, I didn't even want to see his name as Mr. Irrelevant.

It's about time the league started cracking down on conduct and not excusing the demonstrated jerks, even if they cleaned up the final year. Just like I don't like late blooming prospects I don't care for the ones who suddenly straighten out when it's either a pro contract or back on the street with the boys.

The ultra elite guys will continue to prompt a look in the other direction. Nothing will change that.

Anyway, this guy never appears to be in ideal shape to me. The jump numbers were poor for a supposedly great athlete. I think it was 31 and 9-8...something in that range. That's not going to equate to benefit of a doubt given everything else on the plate.
It’s weird because his high school coach went on record and said he ran a 4.4 with a 42 inch vert..

Maybe he was just exaggerating.

He did tear his acl and mcl..maybe he didn’t get back that extra stuff after the injury..

I did watch his tape or any of that bologna cause its not my job, but i had also read on a couple sites that he feasted against cb's that didnt stand a chance in hell of even sniffing an nfl practice squad FYIW. but low risk high reward move so wont complain.

Running and jumping isn't a one time deal. Otherwise the Olympics should dispense with the races and just hand out medals to whoever had the historic best results.

Someone else mentioned that it's pretty ridiculous to discount a whole year of on the field productivity with some arguably relevant athletic ability tests performed on a single day.

Every one deserves a chance. However I simply cannot stand people who pray on the forgiveness of others to get them by.

If Grier and Co HAVE done their research and believe he is worth a shot, then I'll give him a chance.

But I will say this, talent doesn't NOT forgive stupidity. You are human being, you are held to the same standards as anyone to take accountability for who you are.

Don't tell me you've changed. Show me. Otherwise, the door swings open both directions. Find the exit.

One chance, then BYE. I don't care how minor it is.

You are being gifted an opportunity to play a game and make a lot of money. Money that can pay for your to get the help you need and live a life of privilege. Excuses went out the door when you signed your contract.

"I'm sorry" is for a child. You're a grown man with chances most would die to have. Start living like it.

I think Preston Williams is essentially Devante Parker skill wise - but with some dawg in him that Parker lacks.

When I run a search through all my draft notes going back several years, the best hits I have for Williams are:

Danario Alexander
Juron Criner
Marquess Wilson
Armon Binns
Marvin McNutt
Cody Latimer
Jaelen Strong
Kenny Golladay
Simmie Cobbs
Mike Williams
Robert Davis
Josh Reynolds
Devante Parker

If you narrow that list down to the closest matches:

Armon Binns
Kenny Golladay
Devante Parker
Mike Williams

You've got two 1st round picks (Williams and Parker), a 3rd round pick (Golladay), and a UDFA (Binns), who the Dolphins had in camp 6 or 7 years ago. That's essentially the range you have on Preston Williams.

Bottom line is this - if he can keep his nose clean he has an incredible opportunity in front of him with the Dolphins. Odds are he's somewhere between Mike Williams and Golladay as a prospect if he didn't have the very concerning off field issues. He's not Julio Jones, but he's talented enough to be the best WR on Miami's roster.

I've never seen his hands as a weakness.

I think you have to watch the film of him against real talent. You can't really pay too much attention to all those catches, yards and TD's against MWC defensive backs from Air Force and Hawaii that he can just run by due to his talent or blown coverages. You have to watch him matched up against who is in my opinion the top underclassman CB in the 2020 draft. C.J. Henderson of Florida.

Williams was able to be physical and beat the press of Henderson when he was lined up outside and not in the slot. He was able to create separation from Henderson with his route running (sinking his hips) and being physical. He was able to break tackles and physically compete against that caliber of defense with the ball in his hands - forcing the 2nd or 3rd guy there to have to bring him down. The only time I really saw the first tackler bring him down were on reverses (Vosean Joseph, etc.)

Kid could always play.

He moves way better than DVP. DVP has long legs, takes long to get full speed, doesn't have a lot of shake, Williams has shorter legs and a lot more start/stop and shake to his game.

Back
Top Bottom