Preston Williams???? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Preston Williams????

I know they're not remotely the same guy; Williams does pretty much everything better (specifically catch the ball), but one of the things I wondered when I watched this guy was "Whatever happened to Damore'ea Stringfellow?"

I know they're not remotely the same guy; Williams does pretty much everything better (specifically catch the ball), but one of the things I wondered when I watched this guy was "Whatever happened to Damore'ea Stringfellow?"

Pretty sure I saw him in an AAF highlight

Damore'ea Stringfellow was never a very polished receiver. He was a good physical specimen capable of some pretty fantastic catches (and a lot of lapses in concentration) but he was never a route runner. I thought he could make the roster as just that, a physical specimen that could make big plays, both deep and in run after catch.

I don't see Preston Williams in the same light because as I've alluded to, I think of him as having a possession receiver skill set, but having made a lot of big plays in college because of how his overall talent level matched up against the competition as he faced the likes of Hawaii, Air Force, San Jose State, etc.

When you saw him go up against C.J. Henderson of Florida, or Ryan Pulley of Arkansas, what did he look like? Did he look like a Damore'ea Stringfellow? No, he looked more like a guy who does work. He used his hands to separate on a back shoulder, used his route running skills to separate on a 5 yard hitch on 3rd & 3, used his hands and physicality to get off the jam and create separation on a slant on 3rd & 4. He used his body and flexibility to get off Ryan Pulley's press and stack him so that he could catch a fade underneath the safety help. Or he used his good sense for zone coverage to run a corner route into the hole between corner and safety as Pulley buzzed the flat.

Point being when he played better competition his game wasn't reduced down to, either I'm going to make this fantastic 50/50 play, or I'm going to take a short pass, break a tackle and bring it to the house, or else I'm not going to make a play at all. When he faced better competition, he looked more like a possession guy who could move the chains. He's a good route runner.

Damore'ea Stringfellow was never a very polished receiver. He was a good physical specimen capable of some pretty fantastic catches (and a lot of lapses in concentration) but he was never a route runner. I thought he could make the roster as just that, a physical specimen that could make big plays, both deep and in run after catch.

I don't see Preston Williams in the same light because as I've alluded to, I think of him as having a possession receiver skill set, but having made a lot of big plays in college because of how his overall talent level matched up against the competition as he faced the likes of Hawaii, Air Force, San Jose State, etc.

When you saw him go up against C.J. Henderson of Florida, or Ryan Pulley of Arkansas, what did he look like? Did he look like a Damore'ea Stringfellow? No, he looked more like a guy who does work. He used his hands to separate on a back shoulder, used his route running skills to separate on a 5 yard hitch on 3rd & 3, used his hands and physicality to get off the jam and create separation on a slant on 3rd & 4. He used his body and flexibility to get off Ryan Pulley's press and stack him so that he could catch a fade underneath the safety help. Or he used his good sense for zone coverage to run a corner route into the hole between corner and safety as Pulley buzzed the flat.

Point being when he played better competition his game wasn't reduced down to, either I'm going to make this fantastic 50/50 play, or I'm going to take a short pass, break a tackle and bring it to the house, or else I'm not going to make a play at all. When he faced better competition, he looked more like a possession guy who could move the chains. He's a good route runner.

Right. That's why I said they're not remotely the same guy. :)

Stringfellow, if memory serves, simply didn't have the same natural hands. He fought the ball a lot more than Williams seems to.

And yes, Williams seems a LOT more polished. He's clearly worked at his craft quite a bit.

I guess my point was that Williams seems like a guy we'll be seeing a LOT of in the preseason. I remember that spectacular preseason play Stringfellow made a few years back; he looked fantastic for that one shining moment. Let's hope Williams is a lot more.

Right. That's why I said they're not remotely the same guy. :)

Stringfellow, if memory serves, simply didn't have the same natural hands. He fought the ball a lot more than Williams seems to.

And yes, Williams seems a LOT more polished. He's clearly worked at his craft quite a bit.

I guess my point was that Williams seems like a guy we'll be seeing a LOT of in the preseason. I remember that spectacular preseason play Stringfellow made a few years back; he looked fantastic for that one shining moment. Let's hope Williams is a lot more.

If Preston Williams is the sort of character problem the league feared then we could be pretty frustrated by his lack of opportunities in preseason or otherwise. But if he's not, then he could be off to the races.

If Preston Williams is the sort of character problem the league feared then we could be pretty frustrated by his lack of opportunities in preseason or otherwise. But if he's not, then he could be off to the races.

Ck, would you say a comparison to the Bronco's 2018 1st round pick Courtland Sutton is fair from a pure talent stand point.

Last edited:
Ran like a 4.61, jumped only 31.5” vertical and 9’8” broad jump.

The kid was the Georgia state champion in the long jump and runner up in the triple jump but he has some bad jumps at one pro day and it’s like oh no he can’t jump he’s not explosive.

Those numbers are about average for his jumping skills. He's a 24' jumper. So was I and my broad jump wasn't much more than his. Not trying to argue, just give some perspective.

Maybe. I thought Courtland was a slower, more balanced football player, with more strength.

There were some discrete big plays that Courtland made as a rookie in 50/50 situations deep down the field or on back shoulder plays, that you don't know Preston Williams could make until you see it. He made them in college. By all means he showed in college he could make those big 50/50 grabs against tight man coverage down the field and on back shoulder. But they GENERALLY happened against a lot of inferior college corners. What happens when those are NFL corners? You don't know until it happens.

If we're just describing what we see, you'd almost want to say that Preston Williams has a lot more potential than Courtland Sutton because he's shown the same skill set Sutton has shown, except he's clearly faster (to me, anyway)...and a full inch taller than Sutton.

Failed drug test at Tenn so he transfer to New Mexico ST and failed one there too. He also had an arrest for domestic violence in 2017
NO thats not true, Preston transferred from Tenn along with their starting RB Jalen Hurd and several other players because the coaching staff failed to address his use or lack thereof in the offense.

Exactly... the Florida tape gives me a lot of hope for him!

Kid appears to be well on his way. Keeping that chip on his shoulder that's driving that hunger and focus is going to be the key for him.

Never feel like you've arrived. Getting to the top isn't the hardest part - it's staying there that's the hardest part. Keep working hard.

Funny I was just looking through this thread last night.

He certainly has been approaching the game with a certain seriousness. Simon Clancy has been talking about it since May, if you follow Preston on Instagram and social media, all you see is football and him working out.

The first practice of training camp, he loafed around. But then they signed Allen Hurns. Suddenly he's practicing like there's a fire under his ass. Now it's a different motivation. He tasted success during the scrimmage. He followed it up with another great practice, because he wanted more. Now he's had a great preseason game. Hopefully, he wants more. That's what has to drive these guys, getting a taste for the success and wanting more than anything to keep going, like a drug.

So much talent. I've compared him to Josh Gordon and DeAndre Hopkins before. It's up to him whether he achieves like Hopkins, but he's got that Gordon-like talent.

And we have him under contract for 3 years on the cheap.

Preston Williams signed a 3 year, $1,755,000 contract with the Miami Dolphins, including an average annual salary of $585,000. In 2019, Williams will earn a base salary of $495,000, while carrying a cap hit of $495,000.

And we have him under contract for 3 years on the cheap.

Preston Williams signed a 3 year, $1,755,000 contract with the Miami Dolphins, including an average annual salary of $585,000. In 2019, Williams will earn a base salary of $495,000, while carrying a cap hit of $495,000.
Out of curiosity, is this "typical" for an UDFA?

Did we get into some kind of bidding war with other teams for this guys once he went undrafted? Only asking cuz that seems like a lot of coin for an UDFA. I was under the impression that they usually get peanuts until they make the 53 man roster.

If this kid lives up to the hype (which I truly hope he will because he looks like a monster so far) then that is an absolute steal of a contract

Too much off the field baggage. Add in the recent POS Tyreek Hill violence I think it served as a reminder to teams to be wary of guys who commit DV.
the Patriot way, winning teams don't give a shyt about what you're talking about

Back
Top Bottom