Preston Williams | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Preston Williams

Hopefully he gets better at catching it. For now he’s reminding me of BM with his potential TD grabs.

He drops everything. Another all-pro practice player that sucks during games. He is this year's Legedu Naanee or Ernest Wilford.

I don’t see it that way....other than the drops we haven’t seen a rookie receiver like this...if he settles down and fixes that... he is a WR1.

What would we be saying if he caught those he dropped?

I think he’s in a different discussion than the other pretenders you named.

I don’t see it that way....other than the drops we haven’t seen a rookie receiver like this...if he settles down and fixes that... he is a WR1.

What would we be saying if he caught those he dropped?

I think he’s in a different discussion than the other pretenders you named.

The key question is did he have trouble with drops in college?

The key question is did he have trouble with drops in college?

Apparently not.

Just read the following article tonight and thought this was the appropriate place for it: Despite fumble Sunday, Preston Williams gives Miami plenty of reason for excitement

A couple of excerpts from it:

Although his biggest issue was with ball security Sunday, Williams has cleaned up the drops that plagued him in the first weeks of his career. Simply adjusting to the speed of the NFL — especially coming from the Mountain West Conference, where he was virtually unparalleled as an athlete — has helped him cut out his most apparent early season flaw.

“I’m not known for dropping balls, but the game’s kind of fast,” Williams said. “I was just trying to get chemistry with both quarterbacks at the time, so you can see it’s getting better and everything’s starting to mold. The game is slowing down to me. It was very fast the first couple games. My mindset was just not trying to mess up, and just trying to be perfect and more consistent. I’ve been more consistent. I’ve just faced different obstacles every week, just different ones. I’m just working on myself, trying to be a better pro.”

“I focus on the improvement I see, the progress I see we’re making as a team,” Dolphins coach Brian Flores said. “I see progress, I see improvement. At the end of the day, it’s about wins and losses, but we have a group of guys who are tough.”

I think this kid will be fine. He just needs time to adjust and get his confidence. He'll get there, I believe.

The drops suck, especially that catch in the endzone which he simply lost. But he is in his first year and has shown that he can catch the ball. Just like with Rosen I will give him some time.

You are being way to rational and reasonable for this knee jerk, lack of patience era.

This is the Madden era...you are rated with a number and that’s what you are.

We expect immediate perfection and for them to play to their full potential from game one...no adjustment period allowed.

Of course I’m exercising sarcasm.

I remember when a two year adjustment was the norm and expected for rookie receivers.

Last edited:
Honestly I don't know how drops are a problem for players at this level of football. They've been catching balls their whole lives - junior high, high school, college...it's not a lack of reps. Confidence maybe?

Regardless, I already trust Williams more than any other receiver on the field today.

Confidence, nerves...thinking too much in a more complicated, much more talented level of football.

He has much tighter coverage with defenders on him than he faced at the amateur level.

Runs good routes, beats press almost every time, large catch radius, and consistently high points the ball are attributes of a number one receiver. His negatives are catch rate, ball security, and missed assignments. He definitely needs to improve his weakness, but it seems foolish to bemoan an ascending receiver in his rookie year.

Runs good routes, beats press almost every time, large catch radius, and consistently high points the ball are attributes of a number one receiver. His negatives are catch rate, ball security, and missed assignments. He definitely needs to improve his weakness, but it seems foolish to bemoan an ascending receiver in his rookie year.

Couldn't of said it better myself...

Really, am I wrong. When have had a WR overcome the dropsies

Can't recall, but this kid is an undrafted rookie at a premium position. "If", and I say "if", he doesn't over come his drops, he will soon be a forgotten player. However, I believe this is the best draft prospect at a premium position of need that our front office has drafted, the funny thing is, they didn't even draft him. He is a rookie going against league's premium CBs and not only does he look the part, he is the part. Can you say it again "Rookie", "#1 WR", "6"5", "can handle any and all Jams at the LOS", "Rookie".

I'm sure glad that you haters are not in control of our upcoming draft!!!! WOW, Preston is an absolute STEAL. Can you say it with me "STEAL"?

If you compare him versus other rookie receivers, then it shows a different picture. Through 5 games:

• 2nd in receptions with 24
  • 6th in total yards
  • 15th in avg yards
  • 4th in yds per game
  • 2nd in first downs
EXACTLY. Undrafted to boot!!! :hclap::pbj::munch::funny:

Put down the crack pipe dude
I posted this in another thread referencing Williams and his drops.

the statement below was is referencing Jerry Rice in his first year and he was a first round pick.

"The 49ers, fresh off a victory in Super Bowl XIX, were 6-5 and fighting for their playoff lives. Joe Montana's passing numbers were off. Rice, the team's top draft pick, had 26 receptions in 11 games, but he also dropped 10 balls, some of them at the worst possible times. He was coming off a game in which he dropped two passes, fumbled once, and caught just one pass. "

I posted this in another thread referencing Williams and his drops.

the statement below was is referencing Jerry Rice in his first year and he was a first round pick.

"The 49ers, fresh off a victory in Super Bowl XIX, were 6-5 and fighting for their playoff lives. Joe Montana's passing numbers were off. Rice, the team's top draft pick, had 26 receptions in 11 games, but he also dropped 10 balls, some of them at the worst possible times. He was coming off a game in which he dropped two passes, fumbled once, and caught just one pass. "
:up:

If you compare him versus other rookie receivers, then it shows a different picture. Through 5 games:

• 2nd in receptions with 24
  • 6th in total yards
  • 15th in avg yards
  • 4th in yds per game
  • 2nd in first downs
PW 52%, Marquise Brown 54%, DK Metcalf 50%, AJ Brown 65%, Hunter Renfrow 54%. A couple big name vets OBJ 54%, MIke Evans 49%. PW was a great find.

He's a rookie undrafted free agent and through 2 games he is leading the team in receptions, yards, and TDs while being the only WR on the team catching north of 60% of. his passes. What is wrong with you people?? seriously??

Why is it some players get years to prove themselves and others are written out 2 games into their rookie seasons as a freaking UNDRAFTED free agent. Especially playing a position that normally takes 2-3 years to breakout.
Morons, ignore them. Fact is PW is about to break the NFL record for receptions as an UFA. He is a stud that is still adjusting to the NFL

Back
Top Bottom