Pretty interesting article | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pretty interesting article

KB21 said:
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/11382083.htm

I find it interesting that Antrell Rolle has steadily risen up on the draft boards to the point that he is now considered one of the top 4 to 5 players in the draft.

Do you agree? My opinion has always been that he is worth the second pick because he's a huge talent that can contribute in a number of different ways. And he has the potential to be a game-changing athlete in the NFL.

But I'd be interested in what you think.

Way back in the fall, I thought Rolle was probably the best overall prospect out there. Then, I had some doubts about his speed, and bumped him down. Now, I've bumped him back up, because he dispelled the notion about his speed.

It's really interesting that even though a quarterback may go first, he won't be the best player.

IMO, the top players in this draft (note that I need to update my top 32):

1. Braylon Edwards, WR, Michigan
2. Cedric Benson, RB, Texas
3. Antrell Rolle, CB, Miami
4. Ronnie Brown, RB, Auburn
5. Cadillac Williams, RB, Auburn

KB21 said:
Way back in the fall, I thought Rolle was probably the best overall prospect out there. Then, I had some doubts about his speed, and bumped him down. Now, I've bumped him back up, because he dispelled the notion about his speed.

It's really interesting that even though a quarterback may go first, he won't be the best player.

Thanks; good to know I'm not totally alone on Rolle island.

Interesting that you have Edwards as the top overall player; seems you're not buying into the "Michigan Receiver Theory." I don't buy it either; there's nothing inherent in the Michigan program that should affect any individual in the way a lot of folks are saying. I believe that each person rises to the level of his talent, intelligence and commitment.

KB21 said:
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/11382083.htm

I find it interesting that Antrell Rolle has steadily risen up on the draft boards to the point that he is now considered one of the top 4 to 5 players in the draft.

Right where he should have been all along, maybe higher. With his size, weight, and the speed he showed, he could be one of the better corners in the league real quick.

He did struggle a little this year, that's what people saw, but most of them overlooked that he played a few games with a sprained ankle.

I still think Aaron Rodgers is the most talented player in the draft. I came to that conclusion early in the college season after watching him play. He didn't have that late season pull-away period that Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart did (same school, coincidence?) and that cost him, but back when it was a two-horse race between Leinart and Rodgers, I came to the conclusion that it was Rodgers, not Leinart who is the best out there. I stick by that today. Knocked for his height, and because he didn't have the late season success that the USC QB's did...knocked for his relationship with Jeff Tedford. Knocked for all the wrong reasons, IMO.

And yeah, Antrel is a gamer. I haven't paid too much attention to where he should go because I have tried to forget that cornerbacks exist as far as the #2 pick is concerned.

ckparrothead said:
I still think Aaron Rodgers is the most talented player in the draft. I came to that conclusion early in the college season after watching him play. He didn't have that late season pull-away period that Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart did (same school, coincidence?) and that cost him, but back when it was a two-horse race between Leinart and Rodgers, I came to the conclusion that it was Rodgers, not Leinart who is the best out there. I stick by that today. Knocked for his height, and because he didn't have the late season success that the USC QB's did...knocked for his relationship with Jeff Tedford. Knocked for all the wrong reasons, IMO.

Roger's is incredibly accurate!! Like I said in the you pick who we select thread, I somehow think that SF is going to make the mistake and pick Smith, leaving Saban with a pretty hard choice. Edwards, or Roger's, or a Rb, whom all three IMO are not the BPA at #2.....

Roger's can make all the throws, is good in the pocket, and he sees more than just the first option....

He can run and he can throw on the run too. And, he can make reads and throws with the rush coming in on him.

I guess the issue is does he have the right mindset to make it in the pros. I don't know that one. He certainly had humble beginnings in junior college. Will he work hard? He's ****y, some say a little arrogant. Too arrogant? Too ****y? Maybe.

ckparrothead said:
He can run and he can throw on the run too. And, he can make reads and throws with the rush coming in on him.

I guess the issue is does he have the right mindset to make it in the pros. I don't know that one. He certainly had humble beginnings in junior college. Will he work hard? He's ****y, some say a little arrogant. Too arrogant? Too ****y? Maybe.

Very true, then again put ****y, and arrogant together with extemely accurate, and I like the possibilities.

KB21 said:

I agree. There were lots of rumours about him being put at FS because teams felt that his speed was lacking and he was really shown up in that depratment against Virginia Tech. But like you say, he has done a solid job in reclaiming that ground.

NaboCane said:

Interesting that you have Edwards as the top overall player; seems you're not buying into the "Michigan Receiver Theory." I don't buy it either; there's nothing inherent in the Michigan program that should affect any individual in the way a lot of folks are saying. I believe that each person rises to the level of his talent, intelligence and commitment.

Interesting Q+A on that very topic:

"Q: Why do draft prospects get compared to players who played the same position from the same school (i.e. ... Cedric Benson, Braylon Edwards, Aaron Rodgers), when there is clearly no connection?

 Confused

A: For the same reasons NFL teams look for scheme fits when scouting collegiate talent. The same phenomenon occurs at the college level. Every college seeks a certain type of player in recruiting. For example, Florida State recruits very quick, undersized, penetrating defensive tackles. Travis Johnson has a very similar body type to Darnell Dockett. They fit a certain mold. The same could be said about Cedric Benson and Ricky Williams, or Braylon Edwards and David Terrell. Physically, they have nearly identical traits in many ways  size, speed, running style, even personality.

In any field or profession, you will notice similar results if similar instruction is given. For example, a writer who emulates the writing style of nationally acclaimed author and Detroit Free Press columnist Mitch Albom will often write very concisely and pack prose with poignant stories. One of my former coaches used to say, “We think about and become what we think about all the time.†Whether it be studying a certain philosophy or being taught by a particular professor, students are a product of their environment. That is why Aaron Rodgers is being clumped with the many Jeff Tedford-coached quarterbacks who have come before him.

Harvard, Stanford and Northwestern have reputations for producing some of the brightest minds in the country because of their rigorous academic standards. When employers hire a graduate of those universities, they usually know what they are getting. Likewise, teams can feel comfortable knowing they are getting a mechanically sound quarterback if he has been coached by Tedford, arguably the finest developer of quarterbacks in the world, alongside Jon Gruden and former Niners legend Bill Walsh. Teams realize that once quarterbacks have left Tedford’s tutelage (e.g., Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Kyle Boller), they have tended to struggle. That doesn't necessarily mean that Tedford’s quarterbacks are set up to fail. Other factors sometimes come into play once they enter the NFL.

The problem is that Tedford is so good, provides so much critical feedback and gets so much out of his quarterbacks that some of them do seem to regress once they depart from the rich learning environment he provides. There are many, many factors involved to hinder the development of a quarterback, but NFL teams do seem to have struggled matching Tedford’s level of expertise. As a result, what is happening is that salaries for assistant coaches and true teachers of the game are exploding, with some assistant coaches (such as Miami OL coach Hudson Houck) now commanding better salaries than some head coaches."

ckparrothead said:

He's my boy too. That USC game alone is reason enough for me. How many consecutive passes did he complete? 22?

Back
Top Bottom