Pricepoint of players | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pricepoint of players

I cant believe that ANYONE still argues that this was a bad trade. We KILLED Houston here. Three high picks for one guy, and they took Stills too? (I liked Stills, but Ross was dying to get rid of him).

Good Lord, this was grand theft. Tunsil is in line for a 5 year, 100 million dollar contract with about 40 million guaranteed. He'll be untradable due to his cap hit.
we are in need of a left tackle (and right). If we draft a franchise qb and he gets killed because our tackles suck, I bet you'd be wishing we paid Tunsil then

6 picks in the top 70 this year... a historically deep Tackle draft. We will take AT LEAST two, I suspect that we'll take a third on the third day of the draft.

I think it's fine to pay players but you need to have a plan that is like a tapestry. You can't pay and keep everyone. Basically if they aren't showing they are all world and their skills are not diminishing you don't do a deal that sets a record for that position. Something also to consider is that when you are a winning team, often many players will take a lesser deal to stay with a winner.

Live look at O'Brien snorting copier ink out of two recorders before he did the deal with us:

I believe Tunsil said to Grier, “I would have traded me too.”

I think for people to decide whether a trade is good based on who those pick ultimately net are missing the point, this is two decisions, to trade a person, and then to decide what we do with that draft capital

They're always going to be linked. The Herschel Walker trade was so lopsided because of Emmitt Smith, Maryland and Woodson. If Jimmy had blown that draft and Walker put together a couple more seasons it would be judged in a different light.

If Grier is incapable of turning all the draft capital he acquired into something better than Tunsil the trade will be deemed a failure and he'll likely be out of a job. You can win every trade you ever make and have it mean absolutely nothing if you're not able to build a team from what was received in return.

They're always going to be linked. The Herschel Walker trade was so lopsided because of Emmitt Smith, Maryland and Woodson. If Jimmy had blown that draft and Walker put together a couple more seasons it would be judged in a different light.

If Grier is incapable of turning all the draft capital he acquired into something better than Tunsil the trade will be deemed a failure and he'll likely be out of a job. You can win every trade you ever make and have it mean absolutely nothing if you're not able to build a team from what was received in return.
I think you just made @Irishfinfan1 point for him.

They may be linked from a fan's outsider perspective, but not in reality.

If a GM is a master wheeler dealer, but not a great evaluator, the answer is not to fire the GM, but to hire better evaluators.

Hmmmm.....that sounds a lot like what we.......nevermind.......

I think for people to decide whether a trade is good based on who those pick ultimately net are missing the point, this is two decisions, to trade a person, and then to decide what we do with that draft capital

it was a good trade even if Miami blows the Draft picks.

It is like selling your car for twice it's value.Even if you waste the money from the sale it was still a good deal.

I think you just made @Irishfinfan1 point for him.

They may be linked from a fan's outsider perspective, but not in reality.

If a GM is a master wheeler dealer, but not a great evaluator, the answer is not to fire the GM, but to hire better evaluators.

Hmmmm.....that sounds a lot like what we.......nevermind.......

When we speak of the GM of course we are referring to an entire cast of characters. It could be someone else that put together this deal and Grier only had to apply the final signature. Still he is the one who will get the credit and blame.

Trying to evaluate an event in a vacuum while ignoring context seems silly to me.

When we speak of the GM of course we are referring to an entire cast of characters.

Hmmm..... I don't know who the "we" that you refer to are, and I can't speak for most ppl.

When I am referring to the whole of the top decision makers, I say "front office" or FO.

If I'm talking about Grier specifically, I say Grier or GM.

To his credit, I think Grier realized the org needed help with evals, and brought some respected ppl in.

we are in need of a left tackle (and right). If we draft a franchise qb and he gets killed because our tackles suck, I bet you'd be wishing we paid Tunsil then
Okay, that's pick #1, although not Houston's. We still have all the choices that we got from the Texans. I thought Tunsil was over rated at best. I am never in favor of paying someone who feels like he is the best, but then either can't stay on the field, commits too many penalties, or doesn't play every snap like he's the best. Tunsil is upper middle of the pack of LT's not the best, Houston screwed the pooch on this one. Who's to say we don't not only draft a servicable LT, but 2 other players that contribute right away?

Back
Top Bottom